PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

idle thoughts - iiiinnntttterrressssstinnnng...but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post Ken (as usual).

9. Not for nothn', but.....if it wasn't the last game of the season, 2 of those first 3 drives would have ended up without being TD's. No way the Bills try a fake punt or go for it on 4th down if the game meant anything to them. BTW – kudos to them for doing it. You have to respect Gailey and his team. They will be a tough out next season. They have a lot of good players coming back from injury.

10. I've said on many occasions that under the current rules you can't stop a perfect pass. Fitzpatrick threw a number of them in the first 3 drives. Over the rest of the game he reverted to the mean, and the results showed.

I think that out of the whole "short" post :D . That both 9 and 10 are the most subtle and salient to today's game. While people will fixate on the 21-0 first quarter deficit and look on it as a reason to dump on this defense, I think that point 9 is lost on a lot of people.

The D basically did it's job on at least 2 of those occasion and got the 3rd down stop. In two weeks, that "terrible" first quarter would in reality be a very manageable 7-0 score. Teams won't be throwing out gimmicky fake punts or low percentage 4 and longs in the post season unless it's desperation time (which is not the first quarter).

For point 10.... agree wholeheartedly. Fitz was lights out early....... then it almost seemed like he got seduced by the defense (because it was giving up big yards) and he start taking more and more chances on throws assuming that because they worked, they'd keep working. That ended up KILLING him. This is not the first QB we've done that too this year. I think becuase we give up so many yards, playcallers and QB's might get a little greedy as the game goes on. Maybe not. Just a thought on my part.

Because they'll be playing other good teams, and because sh** happens in football.

Actually, for the first time in a few years, I'm actually pretty comfortable with our potential divisional opponents. Denver and Cincy are complete fraud teams and I would not even put them in the "good teams" category you cite above.

Pittsburgh is a little scarier, but not much..... I think they are a team going in the wrong direction. We tend to own them in the postseason, and in particular when we lost to them earlier in the season ;)

Any given Sunday, right. I get it.... I'm just a little more comfortable looking over this slate than I was in past years. The only team that I really would worry about on the road to the SB is Baltimore. Hopefully they'll get beat and we can avoid them altogether. Beyond that..... all the teams in the AFC are eminently beatable.

Last edited:
sweet.

1. I'm starting to feel like an echo, but over the last 3 weeks the Pats have had runs of 34-7, 27-0, and now 49-0. I know the starts are UGLY, but what happens after HAS to be considered more telling than the poor starts. Today we saw 3 full quarters of shut out football at a point where 3 full quarters of shut out football was needed

9. Not for nothn', but.....if it wasn't the last game of the season, 2 of those first 3 drives would have ended up without being TD's. No way the Bills try a fake punt or go for it on 4th down if the game meant anything to them. BTW – kudos to them for doing it. You have to respect Gailey and his team. They will be a tough out next season. They have a lot of good players coming back from injury.

1. BB commented in his postgame about how the new kickoff rules have made point scoring runs by one side more possible/likely. That touchback after a score enables you to pin the other team back and then work on a short field on next go round.

Personally I hope they re-adjust kickoffs this offseason. I am not a fan of one-sided runs in football.

9. Well, buffy may have pulled out all the stops; but it very likely may be something that gets copied by a cincy and could even be used by pitt, balt or houston. If you are going up against a hi-power Pats offense and you are on the right side of the 50; there is little point to not taking the 4th down as a chance if you have 5 or less to go for a 1st. Ernie Adams theories bolster the argument as well. So something they need to prepare for.

9. Well, buffy may have pulled out all the stops; but it very likely may be something that gets copied by a cincy and could even be used by pitt, balt or houston. If you are going up against a hi-power Pats offense and you are on the right side of the 50; there is little point to not taking the 4th down as a chance if you have 5 or less to go for a 1st. Ernie Adams theories bolster the argument as well. So something they need to prepare for.

I don't think so..... Remember, they passed on a 48 yard FG attempt when they went for it on 4th and 4 on the NE31. Unless it's windy or your kicker has a broken leg......... you are going to try for points in a "winner take all" format. The % for the points is higher then the chances of converting 4th and 4 if all things are equal.

I don't even think BB would do that and he has the biggest stones of any HC in the league.

As for the fake punt...... 4th and 1 on your 43 in a game that is currently 0-0 (which it was at the time they ran it)...... Ummmm, NO. Not gonna happen in the playoffs. Field position is TOO valuable in that format.

Last edited:
btw...what's our record vs winning teams this year and how many winning teams have we beaten?

btw...what's our record vs winning teams this year and how many winning teams have we beaten?

0-2

Giants 9-7
Pitt 12-4

7-0 against 8-8 teams

Attachments

• santonio.jpg
    santonio.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 236
11. I thing the ref had to call that long PI on Moldin that led to the first TD. But it was totally UNNECESSARY. Moldin had recovered and was in great position to pick the ball. I don't think he needed to make that much contact with the receiver. It seemed he panicked almost. Like he felt had to grab at him or it was a TD. When he sees the film on Monday, he's going to be pissed at the opportunity he missed. He also is gong to get his butt handed to him by th coaches. Ironic it was about the worst pass Fitzpatrick threw the entire first quarter

On the pass interference call, Moulden's feet and the receiver's feet got tangled, which resulted in both players going down. Moulden actually had his head turned around looking for the ball. The thing that damned him on the play was he stuck his hand looking for the receiver, while his head was turned. Just as he put his hand on the receiver, their feet got tangled, both players fell, which made it look like a push. Had Moulden not put his hand on the receiver, I don't think pass interference would have been called on that play.

1. BB commented in his postgame about how the new kickoff rules have made point scoring runs by one side more possible/likely. That touchback after a score enables you to pin the other team back and then work on a short field on next go round.

These are two very good points. And if you combine them, then why not go for it on 4th down more often? If you can get on a role, game over.

Good points Scriz on Edelman and Fletcher. My man Fletcher had a bad game. hope he can study the film and get squared away.

I isolated on Edelperson a bit even though the widescreen TV at the bar was low-def and was very impressed by his physicality at the LOS and afterwards. Saw him turn in a running play with the blocker on him, then spin inside throwing himself at the runner. He missed but it was a fine play that showed guts and athleticism. Lots of pursuit and energy. He's a gamer. BB really needs to keep him in there on defense. Best slot receiver cover guy plus pursuit guy we've got at that position. Bet he'd make a good FS too but there's only one of him and you can't learn 2 new positions in one season.

Good points Scriz on Edelman and Fletcher. My man Fletcher had a bad game. hope he can study the film and get squared away.

I isolated on Edelperson a bit even though the widescreen TV at the bar was low-def and was very impressed by his physicality at the LOS and afterwards. Saw him turn in a running play with the blocker on him, then spin inside throwing himself at the runner. He missed but it was a fine play that showed guts and athleticism. Lots of pursuit and energy. He's a gamer. BB really needs to keep him in there on defense. Best slot receiver cover guy plus pursuit guy we've got at that position. Bet he'd make a good FS too but there's only one of him and you can't learn 2 new positions in one season.

I remember that play. He spun clockwise, ala Dwight Freeney, and slid off his blocker. Very cool, and showed his determination as well as his athleticism.

I have a disagree on some of your thoughts.

I was at the game at 2nd row and was able to see all the field. There where WR and TE running free every down, after a catch 3 pats will hit always a 2 step late to cause any issue.

It was alarming to see the Non Coverage. Non of our DB`s are turning around.the moment you see db`s back running you know where the QB is going and in am a fan not a NFL caliber player.

Stevie johnson was uncoverable for some reason. Fletcher could not run with the TE and i think chandlar was wide open.

Mayo was ticked off after the 1st score , for some reason DL and him where the only ones that looked pissed. the DB`s where just running around .I will accept we where right there yelling at the defence.

I think they have a shot in SB but i am really confused as how guys where running wide open. The weird thing as the game turned the coverage became real good. its so bad and suddenly its real good. bizzarre. The endzone seats with only 1 row in front meant i could see all the DB in coverage.their backup helped fetcher alot as he slower than chandler and did not run crisp routes.
same for stevie johnson benching. the LB where running around pregame and you can see why guyton is still around. that boy can run. I do not know what is going on with him as he is fast.He is not stout like spikes or flecter but man he can run. He would have a better matchedup r on chandler than dan. I think dan is better against a RB/FB type than a TE.

Chung was very active and devin played real deep safety. he was very deep but his instincts are lacking as i caught him running towards the wrong side and then seeing the ball coming back.i will not put him there with a qb who can move safeties with his looks.

satz

Last edited:
0-2

Giants 9-7
Pitt 12-4

7-0 against 8-8 teams

So the Pats basically turned 6 teams (2-0 vs. Jets) into non-winning record teams.

So the Pats basically turned 6 teams (2-0 vs. Jets) into non-winning record teams.

Pretty much. Had we lost to the Jets (both games), they'd be 10-6.

So, yeah.....

Well, buffy may have pulled out all the stops; but it very likely may be something that gets copied by a cincy and could even be used by pitt, balt or houston. If you are going up against a hi-power Pats offense and you are on the right side of the 50; there is little point to not taking the 4th down as a chance if you have 5 or less to go for a 1st. Ernie Adams theories bolster the argument as well. So something they need to prepare for.

I totally agree on this. Why should we assume that aggressive playcalling won't happen in the postseason? (Paging Sean Payton!)

IMO the success that Buffalo had being aggressive on 4th downs is further evidence that TEAMS PUNT WAY TOO MUCH. And the more that evidence piles up, the more you can expect to see teams play the way Buffalo did.

0-2

Giants 9-7
Pitt 12-4

7-0 against 8-8 teams

interesting, Pat's only played two teams with a winning record? I guess you can only play the games on the schedule and there were only 11 other teams with a winning record this year (12 including the Pats).

Hi patfanken

Have you seen Wes Welker lost consciousness for about 5 seconds, when we got picked by the Buffalo D ?

At the end of the play, TB was sitting next to him, and checking on him.

Did anyone paid attention to this?

1 mn left on second quarter.

Last edited:
Well so 5 weeks ago you asked if anything this team could do inn its last games against midling competion would change the outlook for the playoffs.

Looking back now the answer is a resounding yes. Not so much because of they way the Pats played (rather too exciting) but because of the results. While we shurely didnt get any style points and most of the known problems were still clearly visible, they managed those 5 Wins and that secured HFA for the playoffs, or ebent more importantly a first round bye.

So instead of having to win 4 games, most of them as a road underdog, we only need 3 wins and will be favored (if only slightly) in all of them but the big game itself.

or to put this in numbers, or chance for a SB title rose from 7% to 25 % in the last 5 weeks.

On the tough side all the other teams in the AFC playoffs follow the blueprint of good defense mediocre offense, which seems to gib´ve us the ,most problems in the last few years.

But this is the season of joy so lets just hope that the 45 minutes where we shoot out people are a little bit more predictive then the 15 minutes where all hell seems to break lose.

I totally agree on this. Why should we assume that aggressive playcalling won't happen in the postseason? (Paging Sean Payton!)

IMO the success that Buffalo had being aggressive on 4th downs is further evidence that TEAMS PUNT WAY TOO MUCH. And the more that evidence piles up, the more you can expect to see teams play the way Buffalo did.

Well because teams didnt catch up in the last 4 or 5 years on this message, and the playoffs are normally not the time of people going high risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back