PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - denial, anger....acceptence

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I wrote in my last post before the playoff game that a loss to the Jets would be as bad as the loss loss to the Giants in the 2007 superbowl. Evidently I was wrong. Back in 2008 I would turn the channel a the mere mention of football right up until a bout a week before the draft. This year within 2 weeks I was sneaking peeks at PFT and this site and found it didn't tear my heart out....if I focused on the threads that focused on the future.

It probably would be therapeutic for me to talk a little about the Jets game, even though I'm sure its been dissected to death in the previous weeks. Please bear with me, because I never saw any of your comments....and I won't be long.

1. IMHO the game was lost in the first 2 drives of the game. We seemingly moved the ball at will, yet instead of coming out of those drives with 10-14 points, we managed only 3. After that it seemed that while the offense totally lost its rhythm, the defense slowly gave up points, mostly because it couldn't come up with "the big play" that it had been its bedrock over the last half of the regular season. No picks, No pass rush....no offense....no win.

2. Just one Brady observation, and I wonder if anyone else feels this way. Over the last several years Brady, for the most part, has thrown the ball to wide open receivers. In the Jets game it seemed to me that he rarely threw the ball to tightly covered receivers, and allowed the receiver to make a play. Conversely, Sanchez did it several times throughout the game with success.

There was one play in particular that stood out to me. It was in the 4th quarter when the Pats were marching down the field down 10. The drive stalled around the Jet 35 and on 3rd and long Brady had all the time in the world to throw the ball. He held it....and held it, and ultimately threw an incompletion. On the replay you could clearly see Tate open up late coming back on the outside about 2 yds short of the sticks. Brady never gave him a look, instead kept of looking for Welker.

Was I the only one scratching my head after that play? Why Welker. Why not the open Tate. Why not give the 6'7 Gronk a chance to make a play on some guy over a half a foot shorter. Why was it Welker on a ball that would have been about 7 yds short of the first down, even if it was completed.

It was that play, and the fact it looked like we were doing our best "Eagle last drive of the superbowl" impression on the last meaningful drive; that left me not only crushed at the loss, but perplexed at the ending.

Thanks I feel better. ;} Now "back to the future"

1. One of the real problems of the loss, at least from a fan's point of view, is that regardless of whatever success we have in the regular season, NOTHING that is done in 2011 matters until we start to win some playoff games, Think about it, come next January, it will be FOUR years since the Patriots have won a playoff game.

So regardless of the moves we make this off season, and the anticipated success as THIS version of the Pats evolve and mature, it renders the regular season (except as a function to get into the playoffs) a lot less meaningful.

2. On a more personal note, it also means regardless of any future success we have against the hated Jets, we still have to deal with the fact that they have won 4 playoffs games since we have won one. Jet fans can now (to a lesser degree), now take the high ground, Pats fans used to hold, as having playoff success. When they throw it in our faces about Rex's record vs BB, we will just have to take it.

The fact is, even though they still haven't won the division, the Jets are the top dog in the division. We just have to deal with it.....and I hate dealing with that reality. BTW- please note that I truly believe that THIS past season was the Jets high water mark for a lot of reasons, doesn't negate that until next JANUARY, we are under their thumbs, at least on the fan side of things. :eek:

3. I am constantly amazed at the amount of knowledge the "draft geeks" on this site offer the rest of us. What a great service they provide. Thank them every time you get the chance. Fortunately for us there are too many to mention individually, but you know who they are.

4. That being said I haven't seen so many varied opinions on potential picks as I've seen this year...so far. For example there is a good thread on the draft board that talks about Robert Quinn. To a novice like me, he would seem to be a guy who "might" be worth going up into the top 10 to get. On the plus side, he seems to have the kinds of physical gifts that one might envision BB getting a second chance to coach the "next" Lawrence Taylor.

Then someone writes an eloquent post that made a strong case that Quinn is potential disaster pick. He pointed out character issues. He mentions the fact that 90% of his best production came against weak opponents...in a weak conference. By the end all I could think about when I thought about Robert Quinn, was Vernon Gholston. :eek:

My point is that there is a lot of diverse opinions about a number of players other than Quinn. So I'm beginning to wonder more and more about this draft. Is it the one we finally make moves to reach up into the top of the draft, or is it the same old, same old; 5 guys who most of us didn't expect and an extra pick for 2012 (btw, not that that's a bad thing, just look at this past year ;) )

5. So I'm starting to think that maybe the Draft isn't the most critical part of this year's off season. Maybe....just maybe, the thing we should be all focusing on is the MONSTER crop of FA's that will descend on the the NFL in just a few short weeks. Never have we seen such a large and quality filled FA class as the over 450 players who will enrich the entire league.

There will be double digit all pros available, along with dozens of proven starters looking for new homes. There are almost too many to even start to consider who might fit into an already talented young team.

A lot of this will start become clearer when there is finally a CBA, and teams know what they have to work with. It will become clearer still after we have decided what we will do with our own key FA's. I'd love Mankins back, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around paying that much money to a G. Will we bring back Light, or is the Volmer era ready to begin. And what about Kevin Faulk?

Lots of questions, very few answers, but TONS of potential speculation. This is going to be one of the most interesting off season in a long long time.

6. Bottom line, regardless of the moves in the draft and FA, the Pats are going to end up with a team that will have the "potential" for competing at the highest levels of the league. That is the bittersweet news we can console ourselves with, as some other teams play in that meaningless game on sunday.....at least meaningless to me ;)

7. Oh yeah. Go Packers...and I really really mean that. I don't think I can deal with BOTH Jet fans and Stiller fans this off season. :rolleyes: :D

5. So I'm starting to think that maybe the Draft isn't the most critical part of this year's off season. Maybe....just maybe, the thing we should be all focusing on is the MONSTER crop of FA's that will descend on the the NFL in just a few short weeks. Never have we seen such a large and quality filled FA class as the over 450 players who will enrich the entire league.

There will be double digit all pros available, along with dozens of proven starters looking for new homes. There are almost too many to even start to consider who might fit into an already talented young team.

What's really interesting to me is that we could have a flip-flop of the usual order. Generally speaking, you go from the end of the season to the trades/free agents, and then you use the draft to build your team from there. This season, with the current absence of a CBA, we could well end up seeing teams having to build using the draft first and trades/free agency later.

We'll probably never really know the full impact of such a switch, but I expect that it will lead to the draft falling much differently that it would under the normal conditions.

This loss was simply nothing like 2007. During the '07 season, the question hanging over everyone's head was: will they choke? Everything they did that season had a cloud over it, as immediately after every game, the question was whether or not the team would finish the deal. From week 2 onward, there was little question that they would earn the first seed and cruise into the playoffs, losing only if they beat themselves.

This team is one of my favorites, even if they did flop in the Divisional Round. This was a team of underachievers and undrafted guys stepping up into huge roles; it was the story of a player who for no apparent reason was no longer "in his prime" yet suddenly put together possibly the best quarterbacking season of all-time. I will never look back on this season with a sense of regret or pain, which I can't say about the 2007 season. I'm really proud of this year's Patriots team, and really excited to see where they will go from here.

2. On a more personal note, it also means regardless of any future success we have against the hated Jets, we still have to deal with the fact that they have won 4 playoffs games since we have won one. Jet fans can now (to a lesser degree), now take the high ground, Pats fans used to hold, as having playoff success. When they throw it in our faces about Rex's record vs BB, we will just have to take it.

Ken, to that I say in all due respect, B.S.!!!!

What have they won? Have they won their division? Have the won an AFC Championship? Have they won a Super Bowl? NOOOO!

They have won nothing but a few playoff games that got them nowhere. Let them win something before they take the "high ground".

"Well, they beat us in the playoff game". B. S. to that too. They didn't win, the Patriots lost. Brady doesn't throw that Int. Alge doesn't drop the pass in the end zone and the Jets are swimming up stream. Not to mention the muffed fake punt. All unforced errors!!!!!

I'm so over that game now that the Jets lost to the Steelers. But I have to give a big B.S. to that statement.

Last edited:
This loss was simply nothing like 2007. During the '07 season, the question hanging over everyone's head was: will they choke? Everything they did that season had a cloud over it, as immediately after every game, the question was whether or not the team would finish the deal. From week 2 onward, there was little question that they would earn the first seed and cruise into the playoffs, losing only if they beat themselves.

This team is one of my favorites, even if they did flop in the Divisional Round. This was a team of underachievers and undrafted guys stepping up into huge roles; it was the story of a player who for no apparent reason was no longer "in his prime" yet suddenly put together possibly the best quarterbacking season of all-time. I will never look back on this season with a sense of regret or pain, which I can't say about the 2007 season. I'm really proud of this year's Patriots team, and really excited to see where they will go from here.

I agree 100%. Anything this team did in the postseason was gravy. In 2007 only 19-0 was acceptable.

Nice perspective Ice. So many here are sorely lacking any. It's all about being made to look foolish vs. JETS fans they've owned for years... Oh the humanity...I remember the Patsies, that team that played everywhere from Fenway to Foxboro when I was growing up. Talk about your denial, anger....acceptance teams. I'll take nine out of ten double digit seasons, eight out of ten divisions, four out of ten conference championships and three out of ten Lombardis in a decade any day with no angst riddled complaints.

Not that it doesn't bother me, but rather than feel sorry for myself I tend to feel that sorrow for the team that will never exactly be the same again and the players and coaches who invest so much of themselves into every season. While I on the other hand just watch...and emotionally invest. Left to my own devices I try to appreciate the journey that each season represents. Of course, I also come here and that sort of defeats any potential to also enjoy it...

Last edited:
I agree 100%. Anything this team did in the postseason was gravy. In 2007 only 19-0 was acceptable.

Sadly, since 2007 little else has been acceptable...

I'd be more worried about the coaching miscues that have occurred in the playoffs starting back in SB 42 and the pass happy offense.

I'd also be worried about Brady who is manic. He goes from superemotional in a Jets blowout to a deer in headlights in a Jets playoff loss.

The pats lets brady get beat up during the season and he goes into the playoffs with an injury then after their loss they do a PR move and release info he was injured.

It probably would be therapeutic for me to talk a little about the Jets game, even though I'm sure its been dissected to death in the previous weeks. Please bear with me, because I never saw any of your comments....and I won't be long.

1. IMHO the game was lost in the first 2 drives of the game. We seemingly moved the ball at will, yet instead of coming out of those drives with 10-14 points, we managed only 3. After that it seemed that while the offense totally lost its rhythm, the defense slowly gave up points, mostly because it couldn't come up with "the big play" that it had been its bedrock over the last half of the regular season. No picks, No pass rush....no offense....no win.
...:D

I liked your post for the most part, though I must admit I skimmed most of it because it's past history and brings back too many bad memories for me.

Like you, I don't think Brady was the same after the early going, but I think you're overlooking the pick and the number of hard hits he took in the first Quarter. He seemed invulnerable before that INT and, now that we know about the extent of the injury to his foot, I'm wondering if one of those hits aggravated the fracture.

During the '07 season ... the question was whether or not the team would finish the deal. From week 2 onward, there was little question that they would earn the first seed and cruise into the playoffs, losing only if they beat themselves.

Are you kidding me? Are you trying to say that after two weeks you or anybody else knew/knows with absolute certainty who will be the number one seed in the NFL?

Come on, that's 20-20 hindsight. At that point in time the consensus was that the allegations would be such a distraction that the Pats had no chance - even after that big win against the Chargers. It wasn't until after the Pats beat the Colts to go 9-0 that the #1 seed and undefeated season rumblings grew legs.

I for one am NOT over the pathetic loss to the Jets. One and done...again.

Yet another year of Brady's window of opportunity pissed away after all the hard work achieving a remarkable 14-2 record. Worse yet, the gate to a Squealers 3rd SB of the century left wide open...again. Rapistburger redux.

Losing in SB42 was to a good rival, better coached that day who played harder. That does not bother me like losing to trash.

Losing to the Jets in our own house was pathetic. Yet again the recent Patriots played Beta Male Colts-style football against an aggressive punch you in the face physical opponent, not a winning formula.

Fans have little standing whining and complaining about loudmouth Jets braying given the way our team folded yet again.

I was over the way the season ended before it actually ended.

the pats are now a nervous playoff team and other teams know it. they are going to have to get alot more physical to shed this stigma

Yet another year of Brady's window of opportunity pissed away after all the hard work achieving a remarkable 14-2 record. Worse yet, the gate to a Squealers 3rd SB of the century left wide open...again. Rapistburger redux.

Losing in SB42 was to a good rival, better coached that day who played harder. That does not bother me like losing to trash.

Losing to the Jets in our own house was pathetic. Yet again the recent Patriots played Beta Male Colts-style football against an aggressive punch you in the face physical opponent, not a winning formula.

Fans have little standing whining and complaining about loudmouth Jets braying given the way our team folded yet again.

That standing vs. JETS fans is what now apparently matters to you is sad, pissa...

Trolling and troll baiting and all that internet crap is so childish and demeaning, espacially considering many who engage in it frequently spew worse crap about this team and it's coaches and players than their supposed enemies do... The games that matter are played on the field... It's not about wussing out it's about failure to prepare properly and failure to execute, and it's about discipline and focus. That is what the JETS had more of than NE did on one any given Sunday that happened to be a one and done one. Which is why it's so foolish that some are now anticipating nothing more than a regular season rematch to avenge their disappointment, which sadly is rooted as much in personal embarassment as anything.

1. One of the real problems of the loss, at least from a fan's point of view, is that regardless of whatever success we have in the regular season, NOTHING that is done in 2011 matters until we start to win some playoff games, Think about it, come next January, it will be FOUR years since the Patriots have won a playoff game.

So regardless of the moves we make this off season, and the anticipated success as THIS version of the Pats evolve and mature, it renders the regular season (except as a function to get into the playoffs) a lot less meaningful.
What moves the New England Patriots exercise do matter, especially improving the team on the offensive and defensive lines via the 2011 NFL Draft. Furthermore, the addition of a proven 3-4 outside linebacker who can rush the opposing quarterback in unrestricted free agency (barring a player lockout) would assist immensely such as Kamerion Wimbley.

Kamerion Wimbley, OLB for the Oakland Raiders at NFL.com

The fact is, even though they still haven't won the division, the Jets are the top dog in the division. We just have to deal with it.....and I hate dealing with that reality. BTW- please note that I truly believe that THIS past season was the Jets high water mark for a lot of reasons, doesn't negate that until next JANUARY, we are under their thumbs, at least on the fan side of things. :eek:
The New England Patriots have six draft picks in the first three rounds to two draft picks in the first three rounds for the NY Jets in the 2011 NFL Draft. The New England Patriots should be in far better shape with regards to the salary cap and free agency than the New York Jets.

3. I am constantly amazed at the amount of knowledge the "draft geeks" on this site offer the rest of us. What a great service they provide. Thank them every time you get the chance. Fortunately for us there are too many to mention individually, but you know who they are.
A great learning tool for all:

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

4. That being said I haven't seen so many varied opinions on potential picks as I've seen this year...so far. For example there is a good thread on the draft board that talks about Robert Quinn. To a novice like me, he would seem to be a guy who "might" be worth going up into the top 10 to get. On the plus side, he seems to have the kinds of physical gifts that one might envision BB getting a second chance to coach the "next" Lawrence Taylor.

Then someone writes an eloquent post that made a strong case that Quinn is potential disaster pick. He pointed out character issues. He mentions the fact that 90% of his best production came against weak opponents...in a weak conference. By the end all I could think about when I thought about Robert Quinn, was Vernon Gholston. :eek:

My point is that there is a lot of diverse opinions about a number of players other than Quinn. So I'm beginning to wonder more and more about this draft. Is it the one we finally make moves to reach up into the top of the draft, or is it the same old, same old; 5 guys who most of us didn't expect and an extra pick for 2012 (btw, not that that's a bad thing, just look at this past year ;) )
Robert Quinn missed an entire season of college football. Besides the bust rate for pass rushing defensive ends is alarmingly high. I'd rather take Marcel Dareus from Alabama than Robert Quinn. The New England Patriots have too many holes to fill at the offensive guard position, 3-4 defensive end position, offensive tackle position, 3-4 outside linebacker position for the New England Patriots to trade up in the first round.

A lot of this will start become clearer when there is finally a CBA, and teams know what they have to work with. It will become clearer still after we have decided what we will do with our own key FA's. I'd love Mankins back, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around paying that much money to a G. Will we bring back Light, or is the Volmer era ready to begin. And what about Kevin Faulk?

Lots of questions, very few answers, but TONS of potential speculation. This is going to be one of the most interesting off season in a long long time.
Free agency will depend on the salary cap in 2011 and there will be a salary cap in 2011. Based upon the potential financial restrictions, the New England Patriots need to focus re-signing their own players first with Logan Mankins priority one and Matt Light priority two. Add a 3-4 outside linebacker in free agency such as a Kamerion Wimbley in addition to Light and Mankins; there may not be much left over for any other unrestricted free agents.

6. Bottom line, regardless of the moves in the draft and FA, the Pats are going to end up with a team that will have the "potential" for competing at the highest levels of the league. That is the bittersweet news we can console ourselves with, as some other teams play in that meaningless game on sunday.....at least meaningless to me ;)
That depends if the New England Patriots plug holes at the right defensive end position, the right offensive guard position, potentially the left offensive tackle position if Matt Light departs via free agency, potentially the left offensive guard position if Logan Mankins departs via free agency, the 3-4 outside linebacker position.

You need to get over this Phil. It was a bitter loss to a team that should have been buried in the 1st quarter. But it didn't happen for us, for some reason.

I know that you are a long time fan. It was not too many years ago that a 14-2 record, regardless of a playoff loss would have had us walking on air. Most of us could never have dared to dream of what has happened over the past 10 years.

Or, you can contiue to wallow in depression over a loss to the Jets. Not trying to tell you what to do, just sharing some prospective.

Look, the Jets have not won anything. Their fans are elated over losing 2 AFCCG'sin a row without even winning the divison, demonstrates what 42 years of losing does to people. I'm glad that is not us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe