PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I think we can say Edelman does not have to have Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
8.5 vs 8.8 ypr is statistically insignificant. Reception per game, 6.5 versus 1.7..................

8.5 vs 8.8. Both are terrible yards/rec for a WR.

If "Sanu" was on the back of his jersey we would be ripping on him. If Harry's upset is Mohammed Sanu's Baltimore game terrible 1st round pick.

Hopefully he improves.

Reminder: Wes Welker went from 112 catches with Brady in 2007 down to just 111 in 2008 with Cassel.

If you're a QB who can't benefit from a Welker/Edelman/Amendola/Troy Brown, either your OC sucks or you do.

I’d like to see Gunner can get back soon and take some of the burden off Edelman. He’s playing great, but getting beaten up.

At this point the better question might be:

"Does Tom Brady need Julian Edelman to succeed?"

He is no doubt legit. Hopefully the majority games are like miami tho where he only has to play about half the snaps and a few catches.

The Harry hate is strong on this board. Too many people have invested too much in labeling him a bust before he's even played a full season of football. He's also now playing through a shoulder injury, He was known for his YAC in college; that will return. He's had two promising games in a row.

This reminds me of the Kevin Faulk 6 fumbles lost season destroying his reputation with the fans for years. Consensus on the board every year was that we needed to draft someone to replace Faulk. Meanwhile he developed into one of the most clutch players in Patriots history.

Not saying that Harry will be as good as Faulk, but it will take years of production from him for the many fans who have ridiculed him here to finally shut up and begin to accept him.

.... in order to be a top flight NFL receiver. It was his drive and hard work that has made him great
Why on earth would anyone think he did?

Why on earth would anyone think he did?
People for years said Edelman would not have succeeded anywhere else. He had a ton of doubters

At this point the better question might be:

"Does Tom Brady need Julian Edelman to succeed?"
Let’s not overlook they were covering Edelman with a safety.

Is it just me or it looks like Edelman have played 15 games already? He looks so beat up in the face. We probably should have kept Sanu he's definitely better than the rest.

Agree 100%. I texted this to a group of my buddies this morning:

"Edelman was incredible last night. Loved seeing him make Adams his ***** but my concern is that in between plays he looked like Week 16/17 Jules who badly needs the bye week to rest his body, rather than Week 2 Jules feeling great with fresh legs and no major dings. He can't have many more games like last night if he's going to survive."

8.5 vs 8.8 ypr is statistically insignificant. Reception per game, 6.5 versus 1.7..................

What a dumb comment by the other poster. Don't want to derail the thread with Harry debates BUT....what we are starting to see is what many of us here (those who have the ability to be objective when it comes to Brady) stated and predicted in the offseason - that Harry's production and development were stunted not only by his injury but also by Brady and that he would perform better and with more confidence under a quarterback who is willing to accept his growing pains and trust him to make plays. If Brady was at the helm last night, he may have had more throwaways under pressure (without White and will Jules at times doubled) than passes to Harry. NH still has a long way to go but last night was a good start.

Agree 100%. I texted this to a group of my buddies this morning:

"Edelman was incredible last night. Loved seeing him make Adams his ***** but my concern is that in between plays he looked like Week 16/17 Jules who badly needs the bye week to rest his body, rather than Week 2 Jules feeling great with fresh legs and no major dings. He can't have many more games like last night if he's going to survive."
I’m not sure how you can draw that conclusion from facial expressions. It looked more to me like he was winded because he isn’t fully in football shape yet due to camp being different.

I’m not sure how you can draw that conclusion from facial expressions. It looked more to me like he was winded because he isn’t fully in football shape yet due to camp being different.

It wasn't just his facial expressions. It was also how he moved after getting up off the ground and even how he was running on some of the routes. Did not look smooth at times. Of course he did get a helmet to the back of the neck by Adams and landed on his head during a tackle after one of his incredible catches, so he could've just been feeling the after effects of those plays.

I'm happy to go with your explanation because that would be the best case scenario. Any optimism that we have about this offense goes right out the window if they lose him for any length of time. What an incredible player, and possibly the toughest son of a b*tch in the entire league.

People for years said Edelman would not have succeeded anywhere else. He had a ton of doubters
If people watched him for years and said that then people are idiots.

Not sure why people would say that. Perhaps it is a an anti-slot receiver bias, accusing Edelman of being a 'system receiver', or a sports talk host attempting to have a hawt take? Sounds like bitter fans of other teams that would prefer to forget the 28-3 game.

All one had to do was look at 2016, when Brady missed 25% of the season. Edelman had 98 receptions for 1,106 yards that year. His only season with more yardage was last year (barely, with 1,117) when there were few other genuine options for Brady to target.

In the first game of 2016 with Jimmy G making his first start Edelman had 7 catches on 7 targets for 66 yards, and the next week (JG/Brissett) he had 7 catches on 10 targets for 76 yards - despite the Pats running the ball more often than they threw it.

Edelman's numbers went down in week 3 but that was due to #3 Brissett making his first NFL start and the run/pass play calling becoming an absurd 2:1 ratio with 39 rushes and only 19 passes. The week four stats are useless due to both QBs injury status and the last minute change of starting QB.

Not sure why people would say that. Perhaps it is a an anti-slot receiver bias, accusing Edelman of being a 'system receiver', or a sports talk host attempting to have a hawt take? Sounds like bitter fans of other teams that would prefer to forget the 28-3 game.

All one had to do was look at 2016, when Brady missed 25% of the season. Edelman had 98 receptions for 1,106 yards that year. His only season with more yardage was last year (barely, with 1,117) when there were few other genuine options for Brady to target.

In the first game of 2016 with Jimmy G making his first start Edelman had 7 catches on 7 targets for 66 yards, and the next week (JG/Brissett) he had 7 catches on 10 targets for 76 yards - despite the Pats running the ball more often than they threw it.

Edelman's numbers went down in week 3 but that was due to #3 Brissett making his first NFL start and the run/pass play calling becoming an absurd 2:1 ratio with 39 rushes and only 19 passes. The week four stats are useless due to both QBs injury status and the last minute change of starting QB.
Didn’t Edelman have like an 80 yard catch and run early in that Buffalo game, but got caught from behind and fumbled. They got shut out.

Didn’t Edelman have like an 80 yard catch and run early in that Buffalo game, but got caught from behind and fumbled. They got shut out.
First play from scrimmage (90 yards actually), but it was called back due to an offensive holding penalty on Chris Hogan.

That was the highlight of the game for the Patriot offense that day.

Is it just me or it looks like Edelman have played 15 games already? He looks so beat up in the face. We probably should have kept Sanu he's definitely better than the rest.
He did all last season well. I feel like each week I'm sitting there convinced one more hit will do it. He really is a warrior to be playing injured like this at age 34.

I just hope he hasn't scrambled his eggs too much for life after football. That dude plays through a concussion like no other player I've seen. That hit in the SB49 is a prime example, and the whole CTE thing is heavily linked to subsequent head trauma while recovering from concussions.

I love 'em.

Remember all those deep balls that Brady threw to JE11 all those years and it always is a bit too far or he couldn't came up with it, saved for a miracle catch in that SuperBowl?

Yesterday, he caught EVERY SINGLE ONE of them, threw from CAM.

My god, what does that mean? Like maybe there is something to how good Cam is at his age of throwing deep balls.

I am sure Brady at age 31 can do that as well, matter of fact he did, but that was to the likes of Randy Moss and Wes Welker. We are seeing what is left of JE11 if he was paired with a prime age Tom Brady. He was always going to be great, no matter who the QB is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back