PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Think People Forget Dion Lewis' Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISGS

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I think people (on this forum and just in general) are forgetting how explosive Dion Lewis really was last year.

I see lots of praise for James White (and I am one of them, he has played well!) but its not really a comparison (if Dion is fully healthy).

I see lots of praise for James White (and I am one of them, he has played well!) but its not really a comparison (if Dion is fully healthy).

I'm as big of a Dion Lewis fan as any. But there are a few places where James White exceeds Lewis. Right now, I'd say Lewis is a better blocker and a more dynamic runner. But James White is perhaps a better pass catcher, and while not as dynamic of a runner, still has great field vision.

I'm just glad we have both these guys on our team!!

I will be surprised if we see him on the field this year at all. Managing the roster for the one IR guy that can return plus the Pup guys might make it difficult and since the running game is in decent shape I dont see him taking snaps this year. I hope to be wrong. But who do you release?

RB Dion Lewis and T Sebastian Vollmer both on PUP.

I actually feel like people are talking up Dion's return just a little too much. I like him and he's good but I don't think he's going to make a world's difference in what is already a very good year from our RBs. Yes it will be better, but not 5X better.

What I'm really happy about is the extra depth we will have at RB if/when he comes back, regardless of who is getting the most carries and catches from the backfield.

I actually feel like people are talking up Dion's return just a little too much. I like him and he's good but I don't think he's going to make a world's difference in what is already a very good year from our RBs. Yes it will be better, but not 5X better.

What I'm really happy about is the extra depth we will have at RB if/when he comes back, regardless of who is getting the most carries and catches from the backfield.

I think its a major unknown but I tend to agree with you.

Before he got hurt he was averaging about 12 touches and ~90 yards of total offense a game. Thats some major, major production.

Coming off of the injury and the new players doing well, I think they will ease him in slowly and see how the flow of the offense goes with him in it.

If he can give them 1/2 of what he did last year that'll give them another dimension defenses need to deal with.

Poor bastards.

There is no reason to believe that Lewis, returning from injury, will have anywhere the impact that he had last year.

We have six fine receivers, two healthy running backs who are performing well, and our fullback. Absent injuries, the addition of Lewis cannot be expected to have a huge effect.

That being said, adding as quality option to the offense is great, yet another toy for Josh to play with.

I think its a major unknown but I tend to agree with you.

Before he got hurt he was averaging about 12 touches and ~90 yards of total offense a game. Thats some major, major production.

Coming off of the injury and the new players doing well, I think they will ease him in slowly and see how the flow of the offense goes with him in it.

If he can give them 1/2 of what he did last year that'll give them another dimension defenses need to deal with.

Poor bastards.
90 yards per game is definitely great production, but it wouldn't be 90 additional yards of production vs what we have now. Maybe it will 90 instead of 65 or 75 with the current guys playing. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Agree with this. I mean people do realize he was injured, right? Most players do not come back immediately 100% right after injury and not having played for over a year. I'm very cautious as to whether he will even match half of what he did last year. This offense is already potent. I dont think Lewis is really going to take it into another stratosphere like some posters here are proclaiming.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
90 yards per game is definitely great production, but it wouldn't be 90 additional yards of production vs what we have now. Maybe it will 90 instead of 65 or 75 with the current guys playing. That's the only point I was trying to make.
Exactly. They may get some more yards on the ground and a few more yards on the dump offs but it wont be appreciable. Might open up things even more for the TEs :eek:

Lewis was missed last year so much because he was relied upon so heavily. He was the 1- 2-3rd option during his 5 games here, and none of our backs were close to ready to fill that gap. It took another 7-8 weeks before james white began to carve out his role.

Now? Best case scenario he's the 4-5th option, and sharing carries and catches with two other backs. I feel he will be more matchup specific against teams that will try and get away without blitzing.

I will be surprised if we see him on the field this year at all. Managing the roster for the one IR guy that can return plus the Pup guys might make it difficult and since the running game is in decent shape I dont see him taking snaps this year. I hope to be wrong. But who do you release?

RB Dion Lewis and T Sebastian Vollmer both on PUP.

First things first.
There is no guarantee that Vollmer is coming back this year. Initial reports was that he was done and that the PUP was a formality..

Next, you forgot about Tre Jackson who is also on the PUP. He's not as much of a need.

Lastly, players who could be cut:
Coleman, Foster, Grissom, Karras, Johnson,

Also, there is the potential for Bolden to be IRed.. I know it hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:
Thank you for this thread. Lewis is a special talent when healthy. White has good speed and dependable hands.

Comparatively, their top speeds are probably fairly close and White is the better pass catcher (small sample size for Lewis). Lewis has far better elusiveness, acceleration, power, vision, pass blocking. Hopefully he has been able to work on his hands while nursing the knee injury.

I'm as big of a Dion Lewis fan as any. But there are a few places where James White exceeds Lewis. Right now, I'd say Lewis is a better blocker and a more dynamic runner. But James White is perhaps a better pass catcher, and while not as dynamic of a runner, still has great field vision.

Not even close. Lewis is superior to White in every way, including catching passes.

I think OP is right - it seems a lot of people have forgotten just how great Lewis was last year. He was on pace for 1400+ yards from scrimmage (886 receiving yards) before he got hurt. He also had the top elusive player rating in the league (both running and receiving.)

Lewis will add a dimension to this offense that will make it nearly impossible to stop.

I want a healthy Lewis and Vollmer for Christmas!!

Well .. forgetting is what people tend to do. Lewis was another universe.

It was not only about his production but the complete unpredictability and fluidity of the offence on every snap that happened only with him. His versatility and elusiveness made everyone else on O better. It was unstoppable offence that 10 or so games even with Chandler (remember him?) instead of Bennett, Dobson for LaFell and OL wo Solder (after week 4) or Dante. So please, no need to downplay what he was here last year.

In what capacity he can return this year is anybody's guess. I really don't see why pessimistic look would be more “reasonable“ then optimistic. A few glimpses of him in June made everybody (including himself of course) very optimistic. But with the setback .. and everybody can only speculate what kind or why it happened .. suddenly the pessimism seams the only “reasonable“ option? People return from injuries in different capacities so let's wait and see.

Blount and White are solid and productive. But everybody more or less knows what happens with each of them on the field .. hence the offence - with better weapons than last year - is easier to read and stop.

Lewis is part of the team .. so its not drooling over someone not here over the guys that are actually making plays. Whatever is “reasonable“ to expect - I am looking forward to the day he steps on the field again in Pats uniform. Adding RB and FB to PS today might not bode well that it happens this week (coming from PUP I mean .. not playing a game) but the moment he starts practicing with the team - I'll be excited!

EDIT: A solid RB that is equally a threat in rushing and receiving might be the only thing missing in making this offence officially unstoppable.

Last edited:
Dion's better than James White but White has become a very reliable and important part of this offense and I hope we get some personnel packages where Edelman/Hogan, Gronk, Bennett, Lewis, White on the field at the same time.

First things first.
There is no guarantee that Vollmer is coming back this year. Initial reports was that he was done and that the PUP was a formality..

Next, you forgot about Tre Jackson who is also on the PUP. He's not as much of a need.

Lastly, players who could be cut:
Coleman, Foster, Grissom, Karras, Johnson,

Also, there is the potential for Bolden to be IRed.. I know it hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean anything.

All very good points. However it was just my opinion, no news about him that is substantial at all so far. But I still think it is more likely than not that he could be shelved for the season, but there are a lot of if's just as you have indicated.

Dont get me wrong I want to see him back.

White has better hands but Lewis really does add a special dimension.

I'm not sure where the "White's a better pass catcher" theory comes from, but the numbers don't really back it up.

Lewis (2015)
36 out of 50, .72

White (2015)
40 out of 54, .74

White (playoffs 2015)
7 out of 19, .37

White (2016)
25 out of 33, .76

White (regular season 2015 and 2016)
65 out of 87, .75

White (total of all 2015 + 2016)
72 out of 106, .68

They're basically at the same catch percentage, and Lewis was tasked with making harder catches.

If it's an eye test thing, then so bit it. The numbers don't tell the same story, though.

All very good points. However it was just my opinion, no news about him that is substantial at all so far. But I still think it is more likely than not that he could be shelved for the season, but there are a lot of if's just as you have indicated.

Dont get me wrong I want to see him back.

What do you mean, "No News"? He was in the locker-room last week and walking around just fine.. While he didn't say anything specific, he hinted that he'd be back this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results