PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I posted this Sept 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, and it's not any better today than it was then.

How in the world do we make the leap from Cassel sucking to BB drinking his own Kool-Aid? Seriously, I'd love to hear the step-by-step of this argument, because from here it's completely absurd.

If BB plays O'Connell before he's ready, he can ruin the kid. Cassel's mature enough by now to be able to handle it. Also, BB knows better than most that he can still win with scaled down QB play if everybody else plays well.

Really some of the most ridiculous things on this board today. You'd thing that the US trails the Western world in reasoning skills. Wait.

Jesus, and it's not any better today than it was then.

How in the world do we make the leap from Cassel sucking to BB drinking his own Kool-Aid? Seriously, I'd love to hear the step-by-step of this argument, because from here it's completely absurd.

If BB plays O'Connell before he's ready, he can ruin the kid. Cassel's mature enough by now to be able to handle it. Also, BB knows better than most that he can still win with scaled down QB play if everybody else plays well.

Really some of the most ridiculous things on this board today. You'd thing that the US trails the Western world in reasoning skills. Wait.

How? Here is how.

1. Bill B., is an acknowledged student of the game, and acknowledged ineffective "player's coach" (in simple terms, he can scheme, he can't coach based on getting guys fired up, a la Parcells)
2. Bill B., sans Brady is a mediocre coach (per his record), and is an amazing coach with TB (per his record)
3. The core question is this (and I would bet BB thinks about it alot, especially nowadays): Bill's team or Tom's team? Bill's system or Tom's skills?
4. Based on Bill replacing Tom with a QB at Cassel's experience level, I strongly feel that he thinks his part of the formula is what pulses at the heart of this team, and not professional level QB skills. Plug and play in Bill's system, and all is well. Worked in the past right?
5. This is the Kool Aid. He has over streched on his assumptions concerning his side of the TB/BB equation. Insert "Cassel sucks" here.
6. Solution would be to have given the TB side more respect, and carry a more capable backup. I would have sacrificed a few losses last year to know someone capable was waiting in the wings. God knows TB has won with less than we had last year.

I got hated on...If Cassel doesn't improve, I'll be expecting some of you to come looking for your plate of crow. This is Brady's team, not Bill's. Hey Bill...the Experiment is over.

You got "hated on" because your argument is crap. That hasn't changed since September 22nd.

It didn't look like crap last night.

Sure it did. It looked like crap when you made it, it looked like crap last night, and it looks like crap now, too.

Last edited:
Sure it did. It looked like crap when you made it, it looked like crap last night, and it looks like crap now, too.

You are right. Cassel is TB reincarnated, and BB is a genius for drafting him and keeping him for 4 years, as he is excelling in moments like this. Down field vision is stellar. Is effectively utilizing the most potent downfield weapon in NFL history (arugably), Randy Moss. He sets up play actions then finds the open man. He helps keep the defense fresh by sustaining long drives, and forces the opponents to become one dimensional because he gets points on the board quickly. He scrambles when he sees openings, not when he gets shaken...YOU, my friend, ARE CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Based on Bill replacing Tom with a QB at Cassel's experience level, I strongly feel that he thinks his part of the formula is what pulses at the heart of this team, and not professional level QB skills. Plug and play in Bill's system, and all is well. Worked in the past right?

Your logic is that you strongly feel but you have no evidence whatsoever, but you're still going to draw conclusion about the man's thinking (i.e., just make **** up)? Go back to playing with your friends in the sandbox.

You are right. Cassel is TB reincarnated, and BB is a genius for drafting him and keeping him for 4 years, as he is excelling in moments like this. Down field vision is stellar. Is effectively utilizing the most potent downfield weapon in NFL history (arugably), Randy Moss. He sets up play actions then finds the open man. He helps keep the defense fresh by sustaining long drives, and forces the opponents to become one dimensional because he gets points on the board quickly. He scrambles when he sees openings, not when he gets shaken...YOU, my friend, ARE CORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never claimed this all to be true. Indeed, I don't need to, because they have nothing to do with the silliness you posted as your argument, as Apple Strudel pointed out in a different manner than did I.

Last edited:
I never claimed this all to be true. Indeed, I don't need to, because they have nothing to do with the silliness you posted as your argument, as Apple Strudel pointed out in a different manner than did I.

Here is my argument as to why Cassel is the back up, as opposed to a Jeff Garcia/David Carr type.

1. Bill B., is an acknowledged student of the game, and acknowledged ineffective "player's coach" (in simple terms, he can scheme, he can't coach based on getting guys fired up, a la Parcells)
2. Bill B., sans Brady is a mediocre coach (per his record), and is an amazing coach with TB (per his record)
3. The core question is this (and I would bet BB thinks about it alot, especially nowadays): Bill's team or Tom's team? Bill's system or Tom's skills?
5. This is the Kool Aid. He has over streched on his assumptions concerning his side of the TB/BB equation. Insert "Cassel sucks" here.
6. Solution would be to have given the TB side more respect, and carry a more capable backup. I would have sacrificed a few losses last year to know someone capable was waiting in the wings. God knows TB has won with less than we had last year.

Last edited:
Here is my arguement.

Again, your argument is crap. No matter how you repackage it, it's not going to start smelling like rose petals.

Again, your argument is crap. No matter how you repackage it, it's not going to start smelling like rose petals.

Explain why you think it is crap? Perhaps come up with a more logical reason for why a high school starter is running this team? And don't give me the "they know better" crap...yes, of course they do. However, they can also make wrong assumptions which leads to mistakes. Like this one. They made a mistake and need to deal with it. Period. So hard for people to accept that they did.

Explain why you think it is crap? Perhaps come up with a more logical reason for why a high school starter is running this team? And don't give me the "they know better" crap...yes, of course they do. However, they can also make wrong assumptions which leads to mistakes. Like this one. They made a mistake and need to deal with it. Period. So hard for people to accept that they did.

************, how many teams carry two 60 million dollar quarterbacks on their roster in case one goes down?

It's not about a mistake, it's about being limited by

1) available talent
2) money

You get the best guys for your team without overspending. That's what the Pats do, and that's where we are right now. How many other teams have stud backups? This whole BB arrogance thing is has nothing to do with anything other than fantasy and caricature.

************, how many teams carry two 60 million dollar quarterbacks on their roster in case one goes down?

It's not about a mistake, it's about being limited by

1) available talent
2) money

You get the best guys for your team without overspending. That's what the Pats do, and that's where we are right now. How many other teams have stud backups? This whole BB arrogance thing is has nothing to do with anything other than fantasy and caricature.

You are simply delusional. Here are a few examples:

Sage Rosenfels
Trent Green
David Carr
Todd Collins
Brian Greise
Jeff Garcia
Gus Ferrote
Kerry Collins
Dallas has a good backup too...Brad Johnson I think.

ALL OF WHICH ARE LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF CASSEL.

Instead of a capable spare tire, I'll keep a wooden wagon wheel in my SUV, in case of emergency.

My theory as to why is speculation by me, but I am having trouble explaining our situation with logic.

Last edited:
You are simply delusional. Here are a few examples:

Sage Rosenfels
Trent Green
David Carr
Todd Collins
Brian Greise
Jeff Garcia
Gus Ferrote
Kerry Collins
Dallas has a good backup too...Brad Johnson I think.

ALL OF WHICH ARE LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF CASSEL.

Instead of a capable spare tire, I'll keep a wooden wagon wheel in my SUV, in case of emergency.

My theory as to why is speculation by me, but I am having trouble explaining our situation with logic.

Not one of the quarterbacks you listed is a stud, and Garcia is his team's starter, and was on week 1. In fact, if you actually look at what you listed with some honesty, you'd admit you were wrong just based upon that collection of "has beens" and "never was" players.

Not one of the quarterbacks you listed is a stud, and Garcia is his team's starter, and was on week 1. In fact, if you actually look at what you listed with some honesty, you'd admit you were wrong just based upon that collection of "has beens" and "never was" players.

No one ever said replacing Brady with a "stud", though ideal, is the goal of a backup QB. Only replacing him with someone that gives us a chance to win. I'll take someone that can make down field reads at this point. Cassel is out classed by the list provided, as far as talent and experience.

No one ever said replacing Brady with a "stud", though ideal, is the goal of a backup QB. Only replacing him with someone that gives us a chance to win. I'll take someone that can make down field reads at this point. Cassel is out classed by the list provided, as far as talent and experience.

The Patriots are 3-2 with Cassel this season. That would be giving the team a chance to win. Houston, just to point to one of the teams you have on your list (Rosenfels), lost a game precisely because one of the players you claim to be more talented and experienced than Cassel completely gas-piped the game.

The Patriots are 3-2 with Cassel this season. That would be giving the team a chance to win. Houston, just to point to one of the teams you have on your list (Rosenfels), lost a game precisely because one of the players you claim to be more talented and experienced than Cassel completely gas-piped the game.

Absolutely amazing isn't it. I wish we had Rosenfels as the QB so that the rants about the QB being THE reason we lost might be true!

Last year my honey, who is NOT a Pats fan kept telling me B.B. is an ####### for not letting Cassel get playing time in the second half of certain games last year. Now I am hearing lots of, "I told you so's". grrrrr. I did not think it was such a big deal then. But I do now. Mat would have been able to gain experience and both he and the offensive line could have developed confidence in each other. A wasted opportunity. For the sake of padding the stats of Tom and Randy?? I don't know if he is right about that.
Yes. As you can tell fom my user name, I love Tom. But the team will always come first.
We have an easy schedule this year. No cowboys, no titans, no giants. We should be no worse than 11 and 5 with any qb in the league subbing for Tom. The team has got to get over the loss of Tom and start BELIEVING in THEMSELVES.
The giants lost Strayhan, Shockey and Osiwhoever. All very important players from last years team. The result? The rest of their players did not give up.
We must not give up either!
~GiGGle~ sorry for the rant guys.

This comment is the reason I am going to discontinue our little exchange. Comparing the personnel of the Texans to the Patriots is insanity. We have far and away better talent at all positions.

And Rosenfels had them in a position to win the game...Against Indy no less. Wait until you see Cassel try and trade scores with Manning...ouch

Well I mean at least give Cassel the same 4-5 years you gave for Brady to turn into that guy you just mentioned, because he sure as hell was not all of those things in 2001.

Oh and keep judging the young Cassel after 5 games acting like you know a damn thing about being an NFL QB. You'd much rather a Grossman type chuck it up there type QB wouldn't you? The system and sticking to the plan will pay dividends in December and beyond. That chucking it up bull**** is just a gamble that you can't expect to work out for you late in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News