PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Have Exactly Zero Priorities For The Draft Other Than Quarterback

No. I think it’s going to be Cam. I just “can’t believe he’s still going to be here !”
I think it's cam either since we might not have a shot at a better vet as it Stands right now and rookies won't probably start

BB hasn’t taken a first round QB. Anything can happen, but I don’t think it’s going to change this year.
I mean, he also had never spent $170m in FA before.

maybe the promise newton received was that bb would not bring in any competition. Just a rookie from the draft.
Literally the day he was signed this was refuted.

Why wouldn’t the Falcons want to give up #4 for #15, #46, #96, and a 2022 1st (in the #22-#32 range)? They are strapped by the cap.
How often does a team get a top 5 pick with a strong QB class? How many years does Ryan have left? Atlanta might move up one slot trading with Miami to be sure to get their guy. But if Miami is not convinced with Tua, they might chose Lance or Fields. If I was that high I would pick a QB even if he sits for a few years.

I agree. Without a stellar QB you aren't going anywhere in this league. BB has shown his ability to fill just about every other spot (except WR, but that is a hit/miss problem, not a lack of trying) with either lower level draft picks or free agent signings. Go for broke on the QB!

I would love to bring Guy back and perhaps add one more wideout, but agree with the premise that we are going to need to focus on the qb position for this draft. I think most of us would be ok to trade up aggressively and pick one of the top QB's.

I don't see us trading down and accumulating more picks this year. If we stay at 15 and don't trade up and if a qb is not available, I think we'll end up going OT (strong year at that position and thinking of 2022) or Cb( uncertainty with Gilmore and Jackson next year)

Good excerpt from Kyed regarding the upcoming draft and I agree totally:

The Patriots could afford to add one more useful rotational defensive lineman to join Davon Godchaux, Henry Anderson, Montravius Adams, Byron Cowart, Carl Davis, Akeem Spence, Nick Thurman and Bill Murray (Lawrence Guy is still available). They also could potentially find an upgrade at wide receiver if a good enough player is available in the first round. Otherwise, New England is relatively set there with Julian Edelman, Nelson Agholor, Jakobi Meyers, Kendrick Bourne, N’Keal Harry (who could be traded), Gunner Olszewski, Kristian Wilkerson, Isaiah Zuber and Devin Smith.

The Patriots will have 78 players on their active roster when White joins the squad. They already trimmed three players off of the team on Tuesday and could look to make more cuts in the coming days or weeks. New England has 10 draft picks and only would be able to sign two undrafted free agents as the team currently is constructed.

Trading away draft capital either by moving up the board (for a quarterback?) or out and into 2022 would be the Patriots’ best approach to next month’s player selection event. It’s tough to imagine more than five or six rookies making New England’s roster. The Patriots currently have six picks in the first four rounds of the draft, and they can use them all on the best available players without an urgency to fill specific needs.

How often does a team get a top 5 pick with a strong QB class? How many years does Ryan have left? Atlanta might move up one slot trading with Miami to be sure to get their guy. But if Miami is not convinced with Tua, they might chose Lance or Fields. If I was that high I would pick a QB even if he sits for a few years.
At least 3 with his contract restructure, 2 minimum without a hefty dad cap situation. You could make a case for a few teams with QBs that may not be the "long term" guy (Eagles, Vikings, Lions, Giants?), but I don't think any of those teams realistically draft a QB this year with other roster needs.

4th-7th seem like realistic trade up partners, with the Panthers, Broncos and 9ers as other trade up candidates.

There are several areas that could be upgraded, but also Wouldnt be suprised if the draft can be used for our upcoming glaring needs in 2022. Of course my hope is the first rounder to draft a qb (zero issues with staying pat and landing jones). But with the rest of the team not having any major weaknesses , heres some potential losses next year:

S- dmc and phillips are fa, im confident phillips should be an easier resign, but dmc is up there in age, tough replacement

cb - gilmore and jcj may need replaced, both will command high money to keep around and tough replacements if not

lb - ht is a fa and up there in age , tough replacement

T - unless wynn option is picked up at 10m , both tackles are fa and tough replacements

Qb - Still dont know what the qb situation would be, ideally we draft the qb first or get a jg trade but if cam on a 1 year deal is the approach this will either be a need or tough replace

So something to keep an eye on if we get qb out the way wouldnt be a bad idea to start looking at these which are soon to be real holes vs upgrades for this year at places that are hopefully sufficient already.

I would be fine if the first 3 picks are used on a quarterback or two. For Year 3 of the Belichick Plan, we need a starter and a backup.
===============
Sure, we will draft the usual suspects late: an OG, an OT, a CB, a WR and a STer.
=================
My expectation is that free agency (or a trade) will be used to acquire a RB, CB and an IOL. We are replacing White, Burkhead, McCourty and Eluemunor. I have Karras upgrading Ferentz and Mills replacing Brooks.

I suppose we could count on Gimore AND Jackson AND Williams. It still makes sense to bring in a backup or camp compeitition.
I entirely agree. Even if Cam is destined to be our starter, get the next guy. Package picks, trade up and get our guy (whoever that is, there are several good prospects).

Good excerpt from Kyed regarding the upcoming draft and I agree totally:

The Patriots could afford to add one more useful rotational defensive lineman to join Davon Godchaux, Henry Anderson, Montravius Adams, Byron Cowart, Carl Davis, Akeem Spence, Nick Thurman and Bill Murray (Lawrence Guy is still available). They also could potentially find an upgrade at wide receiver if a good enough player is available in the first round. Otherwise, New England is relatively set there with Julian Edelman, Nelson Agholor, Jakobi Meyers, Kendrick Bourne, N’Keal Harry (who could be traded), Gunner Olszewski, Kristian Wilkerson, Isaiah Zuber and Devin Smith.

The Patriots will have 78 players on their active roster when White joins the squad. They already trimmed three players off of the team on Tuesday and could look to make more cuts in the coming days or weeks. New England has 10 draft picks and only would be able to sign two undrafted free agents as the team currently is constructed.

Trading away draft capital either by moving up the board (for a quarterback?) or out and into 2022 would be the Patriots’ best approach to next month’s player selection event. It’s tough to imagine more than five or six rookies making New England’s roster. The Patriots currently have six picks in the first four rounds of the draft, and they can use them all on the best available players without an urgency to fill specific needs.
I would not mind seeing Damiere Byrd come back. He was better than some of our WR FAs over the years. Vet min deal.

Unless the Falcons want a QB to sit for 2 years behind Ryan, they aren't drafting one. The cap hit for Atl to cut or trade Ryan is exorbitant ( $40 million IIRC) so if I'm them, I take the hypothetical Pats offer ( #15,46,96, and next year's #1)and use it to rebuild......
From an Atl fan re Ryan's restructured contract
Matt Ryan Contract Restructure: 3 things we know following the news

Matty Ice is only 35 this season....young by QB standards. Any rookie QB would sit behind Matty Ice for a year at minimum.

If the Jets, Dolphins, AND the Falcons go QB QB QB....then dominoes will fall....Darnold, Tua, and Matty Ice will all be moved eventually AND the Patriots would be getting an impact rookie at #15 for sure..or even trade down with the Bears so they can take Mac Jones, IMO.

I am pretty sure Atlanta or Cincinnati would pick up the phone if Belichick called.....I bet you BB already has laid the ground work to trade up to #4/#5 depending on whether the Jets take Wilson AND whether Fish take Chase or not...

The Lions join the Falcons in restructuring their vet QB. Here are the dead cap hits if either QB is cut or traded after next season:

Goff 30.5 million
Ryan 40.525 million

Doesn’t sound like moves teams drafting rookie QBs high would do.

They need to draft a linebacker to replace HT with the 15th pick. Then you can draft 6 straight QBs. One of them has to make the team.
Much as I like Parsons I would still take Jones with their first pick, but if Jones is gone and the 1st round QB’s wiped out I would take Parsons if he’s still on the board. There isn’t another MLB worth a first once Parsons is gone.

Much as I like Parsons I would still take Jones with their first pick, but if Jones is gone and the 1st round QB’s wiped out I would take Parsons if he’s still on the board. There isn’t another MLB worth a first once Parsons is gone.
I changed my view if MP a bit. I think parsons is bit overrated. Not top LB like other years top ten LB picks.

We hear this every year, but you’ve got a team that has theoretically underperformed and has some talent who has a new HC and a qb in place.
Drafting a QB won’t help them win for at least 2 years maybe more.
They could get one of the 2 best nonQb players in the entire draft.
That’s a lot to give up to worry about a QBs succession plan years away.
Miami drafted Tua 11 months ago. Nothing happened since that would make the changed their view of him enough to pass in the choice of the nest non qb in the draft (and maybe best player overall) in order to take another flyer.

Miguel has us at 13.2M and change while not accounting for Adams and Mashewan. Miguel also says it would take 3.2M to sign our entire draft class if we were to use all picks. So, it is safe to say that we have at least 7M left to play with....with about 5M going to a Gilmore raise....and the rest for emergency players or to be rolled over to 2022.

So, we likely will pick up a few guys in the draft...and I am also OK with all picks coming in rounds 4-7/UDFA's.

We should be able to package our 2021 1/2/3 and hopefully only our 2022 1st to move up for a QB. I am with you @mgteich !
We have the easy potential to add another 10-15 more if we had to. If you've been following teams like the Saint's GB. and Bucs, they have added a LOT of cap space to their bottom lines by restructuring contracts and the like. The Pats haven't had the need to do much of that....SO far. If there is a guy or two they REALLY want for reasonable money, they can get it done and clear that 10-15MM without too much trouble, but I hope they won;'t have to, because bills always come due (despite what Felger thinks)

As for my draft needs.

QB is by far the biggest need if JG doesn't shake loose BEFORE the draft.

G/C depth. I'd love to find a quality C prospect who can also play OG because OG t is a clear need for depth on this team. Preferably I'd like to get this guy by round end of round 4.

LB- The speed LB like Micah Parsons is the kind of unicorn pick that can change the dynamic of a defense. When picking one after the 2nd round, I'd e looking for the exceptional athlete who you might be able to develop, like all those guys who started with us and then went to Philly.

I REALLY want a 340 lb NT.

And that would be it.

BTW- Alabama's pro day was eye opening for me. I read where Jones ran a 4.7 40, and had a 34 inch vertical, and threw well to a bunch of scrubs. Well I was worried about his athleticism and his Pillsbury dowghboy physique, but a lot less so now, Even if pro day times are about a tenth faster than combine times usually are, that's STILL a lot faster than I had expected and a HELL of a lot faster than TB12. Love to see his 3 cone time.

I fee lot better about picking him after this proday.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back