PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I hate Jerome Boger

Status
Not open for further replies.
defensive holding on a run play is generally called when a defensive player holds a player to keep them from completing a block.....ie OG chips a DL and slides to the LB, and is held by the DL to keep the LB free

i have never seen it called on a DB away from the play getting rid of a block in that manner, that was one of the strangest calls i've seen outside the NBA

You hit all the points I was going to make. I don't see defensive holding get called a lot (especially inside of the final minute of a tie game), but, when it does, it involves a defensive player along the line of scrimmage holding an O lineman. I've never seen a defensive back 5+ yards down field get called for it.

My hope is that one of these ticky-tack calls, like this one or the "push" on a FG attempt, get called in the Patriots favor in a close playoff game and everyone loses their mind about it for a decade.

My hope is that one of these ticky-tack calls, like this one or the "push" on a FG attempt, get called in the Patriots favor in a close playoff game and everyone loses their mind about it for a decade.
Thinking Goodell and his cronies would have to be out of the league office or the Patriots would have to become a doormat team before that ever happens.

When Pats lost to the Chiefs there was zero posts about the refs, only thing I questioned was Derrick Johnson holding Burkhead's arm which was an obvious PI and the refs bailing the Chiefs out in the end zone by calling PI on an under thrown ball. But Chiefs played better that night end of story. Had the Texans won wouldn't have been a peep about the refs.

This is a completely different thing. Because there are 3 calls in this game that no question effected the outcome that are calls that likely 9 times out of 10 don't get called.

And this isn't a game where "they called it both ways". Panthers weren't flagged outside of Gronk's PI that he had to put a show on to get.
KCs game plan was to hold Pats receivers on every play, knowing that the refs wouldn't flag them every play. Yes they flagged some, but not nearly enough. The game plan worked.

Not sure what your comment is in reference to, but the fact that the Patriots got only one call all day on the Gronk mugging after the BS PI call for bumping into Luke Kuechly, led me to hollar "Kiss My Ass!" at the TV while Gronk was flailing around.

The Pats got hosed, pure and simple. Still, it wouldn't have mattered if Gilmore had not blown two assignments that led to easy TD passes for Newton, and brought his hands up on two plays in which his man wasn't involved.

Prediction: Stephon Gilmore will look great in a Cleveland Browns uniform before mid-season.
Because we got screwed

The refs sucked on Sunday , but the team should never be in position to let the refs dictate the outcome of a game. Panthers were the better team

Giardi is wrong, again.

That penalty shouldn't have been taken there, but it still shouldn't have been called there either.

Why not? It's against the NFL rules. That was poor situational awareness either way by Gilmore. Boger called a very tight game against the Pats on Sunday. You have to be aware of that and somehow resist the urge to shove the receiver's head backwards literally right in front of the official. The true travesty was the holding call.

@archstanton543 I'm going to break the post out into specific sentences. Which part are you disagreeing with?

Why not? It's against the NFL rules.

That was poor situational awareness either way by Gilmore.

Boger called a very tight game against the Pats on Sunday.

You have to be aware of that and somehow resist the urge to shove the receiver's head backwards literally right in front of the official.

The true travesty was the holding call.

KCs game plan was to hold Pats receivers on every play, knowing that the refs wouldn't flag them every play. Yes they flagged some, but not nearly enough. The game plan worked.

The student has become the master.

It just goes to the overall sentiment that you can call a penalty on any play......and on Sunday the refs proved it.

The refs are not a victim of Goodell but an evergrowing rule book that simply needs to be blown up, streamlined and rewritten. This has started to become an issue long before Goodell but the advent of HD tvs, high FPS slow motion and the video review rules have just made it more apparent.

On the one hand every rule has 10x the amount of pages explaining exceptions and specific cases because the league has specialized rules down with the catching rules being the absolutely unintuitive at this point. On the other hand they leave way to much wiggle room for referees to make judgement calls which results in even more egregious situations where calls are not only inconsistent between different ref crews but sometimes even in one single game. What is roughing the passer on side is just a tackle on the other. What is OPI for one set of eyes is DPI for another.

If something can be ambiguous then that rule needs to go and be replaced by extremely conservative (e.g. no tackling of a QB at all but two hands on him is a sack) that at least guarantees that it is always called the same on everyone. Do I like the washed down version of football ? Nope. But boy do I hate losing games because of inconsistent ref calls way more than that.
Goodell has drastically reduced support, training, and facilities for officials and has made their lives exponentially harder with specific decisions he himself made, largely with cost-cutting as his excuse. The fact that he has exhibited zero leadership in discouraging or preventing insane rule changes (such as using any activity whatsoever that occurs out of bounds as counting for anything in the act of attempting to make a reception) is less egregious.

Goodell has consistently made every issue and condition that was already present in the league when he assumed office worse - including corrupt, unjust anti-Patriots bias.

Yes there were a couple questionable calls but that's not what lost the game. Blame the players committing the penalties, it wasn't the refs that gave up 33 to the worst offense in the league.

There were at least two back breakers that were clearly not penalties. I get it. Some fans will say anything to avoid looking like homers. I generally err on the side of not blaming official for losses. But when a defense is this helpless they can't be expected to overcome the refs too. I shouldn't have to ignore reality in order to be considered impartial. Bad calls are bad calls. It's the same reason I used to be an avid NBA fan but haven't watched anything but Celtics games for the last ten years. Even in games that I had no real rooting interest in, the bias and incompetence from the officials just ruined it for me. Zero excuse for some of the calls from this dirtbag. Kind of makes me wonder if he was one of the officials that allowed Panthers defenders to hold Gronk on the winning TD as time expired a couple of years ago. That was also outrageous.

Kind of makes me wonder if he was one of the officials that allowed Panthers defenders to hold Gronk on the winning TD as time expired a couple of years ago. That was also outrageous.

He wasn't. He was, however, the ref who called that pushing penalty on the Pats during a very long field goal attempt in a Jets game that cost the Pats the game.

That was the 2007 game plan employed the 2nd half of the season by the Pats opponents.

And he's reffing for us next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference