PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I feel like I watched a different game than most of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying that anything is or isn't Cams fault.

I'm saying to act like he played great on Sunday is just silly.
15/19 ain't chopped liver, and it really should've been 16/19 for at least 15 more yards if Edelman catches the strike thrown him in the 1st quarter ...cost us probably 3 points if he hadn't dropped it. I'd say that, given the circumstances, he performed pretty damn well, and I'm not a Cam-lover, at all.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they will or they won't, I'm just saying IF that happens, it kinda says a lot about the state of the NE offense.

No it won't. The lolphins could play lights out this week and it would have no bearing on how the Patriots fared against them this week. You are trying to reach for something that is not there.

Which is absolutely true, but NO team had a pre-season.

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

It's not like there was a lack of scoring around the league.

They all didn't play a pre-season.

They still did more than 14 points in 55 minutes.
Look at the other side of the coin. Those teams played teams with defenses that gave up a ton of points. Pats gave up 11! and the Pats offense controlled the clock, with a 10 minute differential. It isn't always about how many points a team scores, its also about how many it gives up.

Harry dropped a TD. If he did not reach the endzone on that play, I have all the confidence that the Pats would score 6 the way that NE ran the ball.

The gameplan was to run and the Pats passed that test to the tune of 5 + yards a carry. These first few games some people are ready to crown that team and to start digging the grave for another team.

We are trying to rebuild a whole new offense from the ground up and what we saw was the nucleus of that rebuilt offense getting the job done. They'll expand on that nucleus in good time but it's encouraging to see that the core roster is responding well in the transition

There's only so much you can gleam from week 1, especially this season. Not gonna hand Cam the MVP or a 5 year contract. Also not gonna diss what was an encouraging performance. Ultimately all this knee jerking is going to mean very little when we look back in 4 or 6 weeks, but it certainly wasn't a negative beginning.

Of all the teams who won Sunday, you can use the “weak opponent “ argument on all but maybe 3 of them so really its no use. Right now we know very little, and considering no preseason its very encouraging to see them look that good on both sides of the ball this early.

Should have been a 31-6 win....we missed a figgie and had Harry lose a ball out of the end zone for a touchback. And we should have stopped the fish in the red zone on their 80 yard TD drive following Harry's fumble.

I'm liking the new look offense for the Patriots, not that I didn't enjoy Brady's offense, but the old ground and pound is taking me back to my younger days. I have hopes when Harris comes back the look he will add to the RB group will add yet another dimension and make it still harder on opposing defenses.

Now if the Pats get behind it will be a lot harder to overcome, but I think with the lighter front lines the NFL defenses are starting to go to the Pats may be close all the way especially with their defense. My one complaint is they also have gone to a lighter front line in defense and this may come back and bite them as well. It didn't in Miami, but the ground game is definitely not their thing.

Who knows where the season ends, but it is definitely going to be a roller coaster ride with the ups and downs involved. I do think they have a chance in Seattle and I know this goes against the consensus, but Seattle's defense is not what it used to be. Going to be a fun game to watch.

Aye, when the defense keeps the scoring low, the beauty is you don't need to score high - and suddenly a brutal run game becomes suffocating. It's awesome.

Now, playing from behind... When that happens, that's gonna be the biggest test for this offense and I imagine we'll see that next week.

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

And the Pats would have had 28 if Harry hadn't fumbled out of the end zone. you're trying to make a problem where there isn't one, at least not yet.

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

Harry Doesn't fumble that is another score. There was that bogus PI on Gilmore. Kicker missed a FG most would make (that is concerning). But they were in control of the game 85% of the time? You are right to be worried about the passing game and the kicking game. Both at best unproven with this roster. Keep in mind that the run heavy plan used a lot of the clock, which equates to fewer possessions.

Wanna go ahead and jump in to say this here on record lol, because I thought about making this it’s own thread...but here goes.

Everyone here should be ready for the “haters” to come out of the woodwork if and when Cam has an “off” game or half. It’s an amazing phenomenon I’ve observed for years. You may not hear much from these people now, but best believe they are there, waiting. From posters here to national media to local media types, be ready when it comes. Glad the OP here reminded me about this, especially with the “panthers friend” who said not to be excited about signing Cam.:notsaying::rofl:

There has already been hints of it even in the Dolphins game thread, with one genius saying Cam’s play would have been “hideous” if not for the running ability! At least these people are insanely easy to spot.

I saw a game i liked more then expected...we could have won with a much more bigger difference. ..the expectations this year are different and this is a reason why i enjoy and appreciate any eventual win in whatever way it arrives
And sunday was a real nice start

Last edited:
I think OP watched the boxscore not the game.

and this is where Cam Newton’s biggest critics really show their ***

folks like to point to his career completion percentage of like 59% or whatever as proof he is inaccurate, without looking at the context where he was playing in a volatile “high risk high reward” system his whole career until 2018.

Box score scouts are the worst

Look at the other side of the coin. Those teams played teams with defenses that gave up a ton of points. Pats gave up 11! and the Pats offense controlled the clock, with a 10 minute differential. It isn't always about how many points a team scores, its also about how many it gives up.
The object of the game is to win. Pats won.

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

Many of those teams still have their incumbent QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes