PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I feel like I watched a different game than most of you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenCow

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
There is a lot of praise for Cam and how the offense performed on here.

I feel like I watched a completely different game.

- Playing one of the worst teams in the league last year, the offense had 7 points going into halftime, and 14 points through 55 minutes(!), despite the defense getting two interceptions which put them in Miami territory off the bat.

- Cam's passing wasn't bad, but it was very little substance. Nearly all short throws. He had 2 passes all game that were in the air further than 15 yards.

- It was all his legs. I'm not against running but keep in mind that Miami was DEAD LAST (#32) in the league last year in passing defense. They gave up 39 passing TD's last year and 4,200 passing yards. Yet Cam couldn't squeak out more than 155 yards, 0 TD's and a 79 QBR?

I was big on Cam before he signed in NE. My buddy who is a Panthers fan said "don't be". And I'm starting to agree with them. 14 points in the first 55 minutes play is not cool - especially against the Dolphins.

I guess I just don't understand where all the praise is coming from. I didn't think much in that game deserved praise (from the offense).

There is a lot of praise for Cam and how the offense performed on here.

I feel like I watched a completely different game.

- Playing one of the worst teams in the league last year, the offense had 7 points going into halftime, and 14 points through 55 minutes(!), despite the defense getting two interceptions which put them in Miami territory off the bat.

- Cam's passing wasn't bad, but it was very little substance. Nearly all short throws. He had 2 passes all game that were in the air further than 15 yards.

- It was all his legs. I'm not against running but keep in mind that Miami was DEAD LAST (#32) in the league last year in passing defense. They gave up 39 passing TD's last year and 4,200 passing yards. Yet Cam couldn't squeak out more than 155 yards, 0 TD's and a 79 QBR?

I was big on Cam before he signed in NE. My buddy who is a Panthers fan said "don't be". And I'm starting to agree with them. 14 points in the first 55 minutes play is not cool - especially against the Dolphins.

I guess I just don't understand where all the praise is coming from. I didn't think much in that game deserved praise (from the offense).
Yeah, you sure did watch a different game than the rest of us. You’re missing this little word called.....”context.” I’ll let the wolves get you.. ;)

19 passes, a run-heavy game plan, and the outcome was never in any doubt. Seems very solid to me, for a first on-field effort with a drastically revamped team. I am not a fantasy/numbers guy though.

53% of the Dolphins' defensive snaps came from players that were acquired this offseason.

Byron Jones - $82.5M/5yr
Shaq Lawson - $30M/3yr
Emmanuel Ogbah - $15M/2yr
Kyle Van Noy - $51M/4yr
Elandon Roberts - $2M/1yr
Noah Igbinoghene - first round pick
Brandon Jones - third round pick
Raekwon Davis - second round pick
Kamu Grugger-Hill - $3M/1yr

Last edited:
Hard to judge either way when it’s obvious that the full offense had yet to be installed. I do agree that Cam having that many rushing attempts is not sustainable. You ultimately want him tucking the ball 5-8 times per game.

I understand somewhat where you're coming from but at the same time they seemed to treat this almost as a preseason game. Didn't seem to show a ton with the Seahawks coming to town next week. If we try and run the same game plan (which I don’t think we will) against Seattle I think we may be in trouble since the Russell Wilson can put up points. The praise for Cam comes from doing what it took to get the win. He didn't shy away from running with the ball and aside from a couple drops and a throwaway he didn't really have any incompletions. If Harry doesn't go soft at the goal line the game is fully over in a rout right there and we start the busses.

This week, Indy lost to a worse team. Detroit blew a big lead AND a gimme TD for the win. Dallas lost.

The NE Patriots beat a division rival by 10 pts while both staying healthy and using a QB who's been on the roster for weeks...

I don't know what your expectations were, but maybe it'd make sense to reevaluate. Are we really talking about the merits of a TEN point division win to start the year ?

I think the positive that can be taken away was the performance by a defense that aside from the secondary, most of us had questions about. Holding Miami to 11 points was still relatively good given the doubts we had after all the personnel losses/opt outs. But they played fast and there were definitely some bright spots to build off of.

The offense turned out to be a little better than expected but as others have pointed out, the first four weeks of the season will probably be a little ugly until they start getting more work in. But we saw good things from the offensive line and the running backs, which is also encouraging given their struggles last season.

So there are definitely questions but there were enough positives to take away to feel somewhat encouraged. Still, better to be 1-0 than the alternative. Hopefully, either way, we'll see improvement this week.

They didn’t have a preseason. The offensive performance wasn’t perfect, but pretty solid given the lack of reps with competition.

Which is absolutely true, but NO team had a pre-season.

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

It's not like there was a lack of scoring around the league.

They all didn't play a pre-season.

They still did more than 14 points in 55 minutes.

I understand somewhat where you're coming from but at the same time they seemed to treat this almost as a preseason game. Didn't seem to show a ton with the Seahawks coming to town next week. If we try and run the same game plan (which I don’t think we will) against Seattle...

No way in Hell we beat Seattle in Gillette Sunday

joined thursday

makes a doom and gloom thread about a gameplan that basically dominated the lolphins

and to the ignore list you go

I think OP is a Bills fan. Allen might have gotten away with those fumbles against the trash that they were playing on Sunday but they'll get blown out against us if he does that. Book it.

Anyway if OP watched the game (and judging by the 14 points in 55 minutes comment it does not sound like that was the case) it was clear it was never really in doubt. Excellent performance all things considered from a brand new offense with no preseason and a new QB who also hasn't played in a live game in a year. I noticed OP also omitted 15 of 19 passing from the stats and none of those incompletions were bad throws. The offense will only get better as the season continues. It ain't Brady's show anymore.

Last edited:

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

Jesus, you’re not attempting to put it in any context at all are you haha. We have a new QB who doesn’t have much to work with for weapons....

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

You're not wrong, but if you go down the list you need to take into account the continuity that exists among teams who have guys who have played together vs the dramatic overhaul that has gone on here. Most of the ones who broke 30+ were teams who have a lot of the same guys back. I don't have time to go through it but I'd be willing to bet if you did, you'd see a trend. And again, to be fortunate enough to come away with a win, that's nothing to be disappointed about.

Seahawks scored 38
Packers scored 43
Vikings scored 34
Bills scored 27
Washington scored 27
Ravens scored 38
Raiders scored 34
Panthers scored 30
Jags scored 27
Saints score 34
Bears scored 27
Falcolns scored 25

What exactly were your expectations ?

And please don't give me a scoreline but 2-3 paragraphs on what you thought our offense would do differently.

Have you followed news from camp at all ?

I think the ground game is going to be interesting to watch this season. Really encouraged by what we saw and I feel like David Andrews is pretty underrated given the contrast with him back in the line-up at center. Love the tough, nasty style he brings and it was just great having him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes