PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't think Matthew Slater is on the roster bubble every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
“Matt has done a great job for us,” Belichick said on Friday. “He’s taken that role…in my time here I’ve been very fortunate to have two outstanding, I mean exemplary, players at leadership positions on special teams with Larry Izzo and Matt Slater. I thought that really when we had Larry that that was, there’d never be another one like that, that that was so rare and Matt’s different than Larry but I think in his own way equally effective. Matt’s really, he’s tremendous. His attitude, his work ethic, the example that he sets, the way he interacts with his teammates in a really good way.

“I don’t know that a player could do anymore than what he’s done for us in that role for the last several years, probably since after his second year. He’s embraced his role on the team, he’s been very good at it and he e makes other players around him better. I think that’s a great compliment to him and the job he does. He’s smart, he’s well prepared, he works hard, he has good skill, good talent, he’s tough, he’s a good playmaker for us. I could go on about him all day. We’re lucky to have him on this football team. He does a tremendous job for us.”

It Is What It Is » Bill Belichick puts Matthew Slater in a very special class

The guy is a perennial Pro Bowler. Who the hell has him on the bubble?

Yes, that mainly died down after 2011 -- but 2011 wasn't that long ago.

People here got p***ed after he muffed that KR in the Steelers game as a rookie, forgetting that the Pats didn't draft him as a KR in the first place; they brought him in to play ST in general.

The guy is a perennial Pro Bowler. Who the hell has him on the bubble?

Slater has been the punching bag for many people saying that each is the year he gets cut because the Pats don't have room for such a Specialty player....

Not a bubble guy now....... He's definitely a BB binky, and likely will be for a long time.

As long as he's a ST only guy, he'll always be on the bubble to some extent. It comes with the territory.

As long as he's a ST only guy, he'll always be on the bubble to some extent. It comes with the territory.

Not much of a bubble, really, given that BB has at times, carried seven players that play almost exclusively on STs (including K/P/LS).

I admittedly made the dreaded decision to have him on the bubble during the summer of the 2009 season, but have since learned my lesson as of several years ago.

Slater is the kind of guy that will continue to be here for awhile in my opinion, but I'm sure there are many who will try and downplay the special teams and versatility roles this year too.

Not much of a bubble, really, given that BB has at times, carried seven players that play almost exclusively on STs (including K/P/LS).

Right. Until his body breaks down, Slater will always be the leader BB wants, the on-field thinker BB wants, and close enough to ideal in measurables so as to easily keep his job.

Who ever said he was on the bubble? A pro Bowl special teamer and captain...a bubble player?

Right now Slater is the best special teams player in the NFL. Anyone who's is the best at a position is unlikely to be on a roster bubble.

At just 27 years old and with solid size at 6'0 210lbs and great speed with a 4.44 40 time I wouldn't be surprised to see Slater continue to develop as a WR and become a contributor on offense in the next 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back