PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I could stand a trade for Nick Mullens (next year)

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've liked what I've seen from Mullens since he entered the league. He's quick, decisive, productive, and can move in the pocket. A little fine tuning of his tactical awareness to cut down on the picks, and this guy could be a stealth stud.

The 49ers are not going to walk away from Jimmy G and they have Garoppolo and Beathard ahead of Mullens on the depth chart. He could be acquired in trade, probably for a fair price measured in draft picks, since the 49ers need to restock. His performance in his cameos marks him as a better QB than anyone we have right now. If he's coachable, he could be a good pick for a midterm bridge QB or even grow into our permanent starter. It'd be an experiment worth trying IMHO

Even if that's the case if we're introducing a young QB we're gonna need a good backup. I see what you're saying, it just doesn't change my opinion.

Besides, everyone's a backup until they start succeeding as a starter. You might have said the same thing about Ryan Tannehill 2-3 years ago for example.

You liked DeShone Kizer too, though. Mullens isn’t a starter in this league. We need a starting-caliber QB. We’re already all set on back-ups.

I've liked what I've seen from Mullens since he entered the league. He's quick, decisive, productive, and can move in the pocket. A little fine tuning of his tactical awareness to cut down on the picks, and this guy could be a stealth stud.

The 49ers are not going to walk away from Jimmy G and they have Garoppolo and Beathard ahead of Mullens on the depth chart. He could be acquired in trade, probably for a fair price measured in draft picks, since the 49ers need to restock. His performance in his cameos marks him as a better QB than anyone we have right now. If he's coachable, he could be a good pick for a midterm bridge QB or even grow into our permanent starter. It'd be an experiment worth trying IMHO
The sane team that is 17-8 the last 3 years with Jimmy G starting is 5-9 with Mullen starting.
Jimmy G is a huge question mark and this guy turns a team that can win with Jimmy into a loser. Nuff said.

If you want to bring him I to compete fine but I'm not giving up anything higher than a 4 or 5. You can't just trade for him and think you've got the starter filled. If you want to try him and draft someone in 1st or 2nd rd then ok.

Good backup but not starter material IMO. Struggles against pressure.
I was watching the game last night thinking that someone was going to try and make him a starter at some point and quickly realize he is a solid backup but bad starter.

If you want to bring him I to compete fine but I'm not giving up anything higher than a 4 or 5. You can't just trade for him and think you've got the starter filled. If you want to try him and draft someone in 1st or 2nd rd then ok.
Not sure why the 49ers would trade him. He is their backup whether Jimmy stays or goes. They may trade beathard but he’s even worse.

I think Stafford could be a target also but that depends on what you prepare to give

Also for me a good back up not more...

fantasy trade thread

threads like these need to go to "NFL Football Forum"

fantasy trade thread

threads like these need to go to "NFL Football Forum"
200.gif

The sane team that is 17-8 the last 3 years with Jimmy G starting is 5-9 with Mullen starting.
Jimmy G is a huge question mark and this guy turns a team that can win with Jimmy into a loser. Nuff said.
Look beyond the win loss record. This dude completes passes at a very high rate has a great release time and moves well in the pocket. The stats are the stats, and I don't like the interception numbers, but that tells me he's got the wrong offense, not that he himself is bad.

also by the time the team is using Mullens they're usually pretty ravaged by injury in other areas too, so no, I'm not putting too much stock in the W-L record of a backup quarterback. By that standard we should be worshipping the legend that is Brock Osweiler, and look how that turned out.

You liked DeShone Kizer too, though.
I still kinda like Kizer, but not for the same reason as Mullens. Kizer is a backup at best, but I appreciated his willingness to go out there and take a beating every Sunday. Not what I would want Mullens to be doing.

But my overall point is that I think Mullens is a sleeper pick based on what I'm seeing of him on the field I'm actually impressed with his talent as a pocket passer. His problem right now is INTs, and I think that's because of the collapse of the 49ers defense. When a guy is playing from behind, he takes risks and risks mean picks. If he can break that habit or if his defense can start making the most of their talent again he could make something of himself.

I think he's better than bottom-third starters like Andy Dalton or Gardner Minshew right now. And he's far and away better than Cam at the moment.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back