PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I anticipate a statement game this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. At this point the 2011 Patriots are what they are: A potent offense that has its moments of struggle. It has a defense that, at times, can play solid 'keep 'em out of the end zone' defense but also can be as porous as a defense can be. It has a coaching staff that has the ability to, despite the areas we are weak in, win games that other teams would lose. I suspect it is too late in the season for statement games and 'this time they will gel'. However, playing disciplined mistake free football, getting more than our share of good fortune, and our OL plays as good as they can, the Patriots have a legitimate shot at the big prize.

The Broncos in Denver are a tough test. Outside of a blow out by the Lions, the Broncos have won or been very close to winning every game in Denver this year. The statement I'd like to see the Patriots make is playing mistake free disciplined football: No dropped passes that were very catchable, no stupid penalties, no egregiously missed assignments, no poor pass attempts, no poor play calling, etc etc. This is what the Patriots need to do as a prelude to starting the playoffs. If they can do that, I'll take a 3 point win happily.

what crew is working this game?? If it's Triplette's crew...don't even bother watching it...if it's the Ed Muscleheadchuli crew, expect the longest game of the year with multiple "huh???"penalties every drive...if Mike Carey has this game it's fixed by Goodell...otherwise, let's get it on!!!

Tebow can pass. He passed just fine against the Vikings, and stats-wise, they're marginally better than the Pats. And he's showing improvement every week.

As far as running QBs, you haven't faced a QB who runs like Tebow.

Not saying you can't defend him, but other than Newton, he's in a class by himself as far as the ability to run from the QB position.

It's all going to come down to the Broncos ability to disrupt the passing game. That's a huge task, but if they're even somewhat successful, it'll be an interesting game.

Maybe a little too interesting for Pats Fans.

No he really can't pass well at all. He's got a 48.5% comp record which makes him the worst in the NFL, and he's got to be one of the slowest passers I have even seen in a game. His fundamentals are horrible. He's is actually worse than in 2010. Look it up
Vikings have a #30 ranked defense , so what he did against them really doesn't matter.

Look, Tebow is nothing new, we dealt with Vick, who is a Way better passer, runner and much better arm strength than Tebow. Tebows only new to Denver.
Vick is a better Tebow. We shut Vick down in N.O. for 6 years, and N.E. shut Vick down this year. Im sure BB is looking over the Eagles game, which he probably planned watching how we stopped Vick on film in NO.

Tebow is a better leader , but as a comparison Vick blows Tebow out of the water in every stat.

I don't think you can disrupt N.E. passing game your DL has never even sniffed a top OL like NE, I expect them to be pretty shocked. It works for us that way.
Loins, giants, jets,Pitt, they all come to our forums and tell us how they are going to keep us to 10-14 points, never happens.

Last edited:
I think you're right! I believe the Pats will show up and CRUSH the Broncos!

I think you're right! I believe the Pats will show up and CRUSH the Broncos!

Maybe crush, maybe not, but there is no reason why N.E. can't win this game, and there is no reason I can find that Denver should win.

This one will not even be close. After slogging through two lackluster games, I'm pretty sure we will get up for this one; we'll be foaming at the mouth.

Brady was reminded earlier this week that he has a winning record vs. 30 of the 31 NFL teams, and Denver represents the only team that has a winning record against Brady. I think he'll most certainly get up for this one.

If the posters on here are past being fed up with Tebowmania, imagine what the locker room must be like. They've heard nothing but Tebow this, Tebow that. The new kid on the block is getting all the attention, and I'm sure this is making them feel indignant.

Tebow can pass. He passed just fine against the Vikings, and stats-wise, they're marginally better than the Pats. And he's showing improvement every week.

As far as running QBs, you haven't faced a QB who runs like Tebow.

Not saying you can't defend him, but other than Newton, he's in a class by himself as far as the ability to run from the QB position.

It's all going to come down to the Broncos ability to disrupt the passing game. That's a huge task, but if they're even somewhat successful, it'll be an interesting game.

Stop already.

Tim Tebow is 32nd - dead last - in completion percentage among starting NFL quarterbacks at 48.5%. He is not even average as a passer. Forget Brady, Brees and Rodgers for a moment. Tarvaris Jackson has completed 60.9% of his passes this season.

The Denver Broncos are 31st in the NFL in passing offense.

Tim Tebow has thrown 198 passes in 11 games. Tom Brady has completed 130 more passes this season than Tebow has thrown. Tebow is just learning how to play QB in the NFL.

The weakness of the Patriots is their awful pass defense. This is the week when Denver should start Brady Quinn with his career 52.1% completion percentage.

The Minnesota Vikings, stat-wise, are not equivalent by any measure to the New England Patriots. Let's start with W-L records of 2-11 compared with 10-3. I won't mention which team is which. See if you can guess.

The Vikings defense has given up 90 more points - roughly 7 per game more than the Patriots.

You are correct, sir, that the Vikings and Patriots are comparable in one area - rushing TDs by their opponents: both have given up nine TDs in 13 games on the ground to their opponents. Tied for 11th in the league. (SF has given up 0, as in zero, rushing TDs this year - wow!) They are also comparable in rushing yards given up per game - both in the top 1/3 of teams against the run.

If Tebow is, as you say, "...other than Newton, he's in a class by himself as far as the ability to run from the QB position," the Broncos have problems. He cannot pass and he's facing a stout run defense.

Have a nice game.

Last edited:
I can envisage a scenario like what the OP wrote about manifesting tomorrow afternoon.

The Patriots have proven to respond to media hype of their opponent with statement games in the past.

The hype part on Denver is so true...

The NFL Network should just place a "T" for Tebow before the "N" and call themselves the "Tebow and National Football League Network" with the excess and hyperbole in terms of media coverage that they heap at him and the Broncos... and have been for the past two months.

Last edited:
I still fail to see how this is a statement game. The only way it is, is if u believe tebow or the broncos are good. Nobody is making us favorites to win the superbowl based on winning tomorrow.

I still fail to see how this is a statement game. The only way it is, is if u believe tebow or the broncos are good. Nobody is making us favorites to win the superbowl based on winning tomorrow.

Would it be a statement game if Tim Tebow becomes an atheist and blames his teammates for stinking up Mile High Stadium after the Patriots kick their little Bronco butts?

Historically speaking, the more hype and BS surrounding a given football game - with the one exception I don't feel like mentioning excluded - the more focused & ready this team is, and the better their execution.

Especially consider recent history. (I feel this team has the same level of chemistry as last year's.) The 45-3 trouncing of the Jets last year; or our beatdown of them this year. Our beating of Pittsburgh after the Browns game last year.

I'd also point out Belichick's pre-game speech before SB 38, when he riled up the team by pointing out how the media was giving Carolina so much credit. Belichick said something like "they haven't accomplished what we have accomplished." And made it personal. The Chargers game in 2007 would be another example, right after the Spygate stuff broke.

This week, the Denver Tebows have been hyped up beyond belief. I can't remember a regular season game with so little relative consequence getting so much damn hype. It's insane. Even the rights to air this game became a controversy. For the first time in who knows how long, Tom Brady & Bill Belichick are not even a focus going into the game, instead its an opposing QB who can't complete half of his passes.

The reality is - the offensive execution of this team has been improving recently. This team could've dropped 50 last week with just slightly better execution. They are very close - and perhaps that's why TB and BOB were so frustrated.

Statistically - especially when opposing defense is accounted for - this offense is right there with NO & GB this year, but to our own eyes, I feel like we haven't seen the 60 minute performance we've been waiting for.

I have a feeling this is the week it all comes together. The added motivation surrounding this game will only lead to increased focus.

Defensively, this game sets up well for us. We can't defend the pass, but Tebow can't pass. We can defend the run. And we don't let running QBs beat us.

I expect a Patriots rout and an FU TD from Belichick sometime around 7pm EST on Sunday.
I don't.... what has Tebow done to disrespect the Pats, nothing that i can think of. He seems like someone BB would root for. On top of that if you think that the Pats can destroy the Broncos in Denver you haven't been watching. Not doing well is an understatement.

Last edited:
Stop already.

Tim Tebow is 32nd - dead last - in completion percentage among starting NFL quarterbacks at 48.5%. He is not even average as a passer.
Yet his more recent games have seen a better passing completion %. The trend is not in your favor, sir.

And he doesn't need to be an average passer against the joke that is the NE secondary.

Forget Brady, Brees and Rodgers for a moment. Tarvaris Jackson has completed 60.9% of his passes this season.
Tarvaris Jackson has never had below a 58% completion rating. Not sure about the point, here.

The Denver Broncos are 31st in the NFL in passing offense.

And the Pats are dead last in passing defense. I anticipate he'll throw for between 220 and 260, easily. If that's the case, the Pat's will be in trouble.

Tim Tebow has thrown 198 passes in 11 games. Tom Brady has completed 130 more passes this season than Tebow has thrown. Tebow is just learning how to play QB in the NFL.
Indeed he is. Which spells trouble for his opponents going forward. Interesting that in one sentence you ask me to forget Brady, then just a few sentences later, feel compelled to bring him up.

I have no illusions as to how Tebow, starting his 11th game, compares to 3 players who will almost assuredly be in the HOF. I do know that he is in the middle of completely revamping his throwing motion, and that it wouldn't be unusual for him to struggle at times.

The weakness of the Patriots is their awful pass defense. This is the week when Denver should start Brady Quinn with his career 52.1% completion percentage.
Which was exactly my point in the first place. This is by far the most inept secondary the Broncos have faced. Tebow's passing game is quite adequate to the task in front of him.

The Minnesota Vikings, stat-wise, are not equivalent by any measure to the New England Patriots.
Actually, they are in the one area I chose to compare them—pass defense. The Vikings are bad, and, as you've already admitted the Patriots are awful.

Let's start with W-L records of 2-11 compared with 10-3. I won't mention which team is which. See if you can guess.
Um, okay, is it the team with Tom Brady, Wes Welker, and two of the most talented tight ends in the business? I'm guessing if you'd swap the Vikings and Pats D's, both teams would have almost the same record.

The Vikings defense has given up 90 more points - roughly 7 per game more than the Patriots.

Yep, and the Broncos scored 7 more points on the Vikings than the Vikings allow on average. I anticipate they score 24 against the Pats.

That INT Brady threw in the last game was at least in part due to his lack of confidence that the Pats D could keep the Skins from scoring again. I'm guessing the Pats D won't be doing anything to give him any more confidence this week.

You are correct, sir, that the Vikings and Patriots are comparable in one area - rushing TDs by their opponents: both have given up nine TDs in 13 games on the ground to their opponents. Tied for 11th in the league. (SF has given up 0, as in zero, rushing TDs this year - wow!) They are also comparable in rushing yards given up per game - both in the top 1/3 of teams against the run.
Again, the "don't compare, unless I want to compare" argument.

Which is it, should I forget about Brady, or should I not? Is Minnesota "stats-wise not equivalent in any measure," to the Pats, or are they?

A bit of consistency would buttress your case.

But since you've decided to go ahead and make the comparison, the Broncos ran for 50% more yds. than the Vikings were allowing before playing the Broncos. (Which has been the trend with many of the teams they've faced since Tebow took over).

I've already gone on record on this board saying I expect the same trend on Sunday, about 150 yds rushing from Denver.

If Tebow is, as you say, "...other than Newton, he's in a class by himself as far as the ability to run from the QB position," the Broncos have problems. He cannot pass and he's facing a stout run defense.
The Broncos have faced other "stout" run defenses. Minn, Chicago, Miami, NY, Cincinnati, yet still have the top rushing attack in the league.

It's the Pats D who could be in trouble, esp. if Tebow can continue the trend over the last 3-4 games of improving as a passer.

The Pats D was tailor-made for just such a step forward.

Defensively, the Pats only hope is to force Tebow to throw, yet they are so weak in the secondary that's not exactly an appealing choice.

Have a nice game.
Indeed I will. I figured the Broncos were good for 6 wins this year. Now it looks like the playoffs are likely, and Tebow has a real shot a being the starter going into TC next year.

Anything else is gravy. Beating the Pats would be the cherry on top.

As I said originally, this game will be more about whether the Broncos defense is up to the task of slowing down the Pats offense. That's a cause of great concern to me. But if they can keep Brady & Co. in the low 20s ( a big "if") then the Broncos have a great shot at winning.

Last edited:
:youtheman: BradyManny:youtheman:

But it didn't look good for you in the first quarter.

Last edited:
i wonder what all those broncos fans are saying after that beat down

All week they were expecting broncos to win big with brady being 1-6 there

oops

To be perfectly fair, I didn't view this as a statement game performance. How I saw the outcome was an elite team beating up on a team they were expected to beat.

To be perfectly fair, I didn't view this as a statement game performance. How I saw the outcome was an elite team beating up on a team they were expected to beat.

I think it was somewhat of a statement. Brady was 1-6 in denver. O just put up 41 pts and D had some big turnovers..Also anderson played great

sucks carter may be done for year though

Yet his more recent games have seen a better passing completion %. The trend is not in your favor, sir.

And he doesn't need to be an average passer against the joke that is the NE secondary.

Tarvaris Jackson has never had below a 58% completion rating. Not sure about the point, here.

And the Pats are dead last in passing defense. I anticipate he'll throw for between 220 and 260, easily. If that's the case, the Pat's will be in trouble.

Indeed he is. Which spells trouble for his opponents going forward. Interesting that in one sentence you ask me to forget Brady, then just a few sentences later, feel compelled to bring him up.

I have no illusions as to how Tebow, starting his 11th game, compares to 3 players who will almost assuredly be in the HOF. I do know that he is in the middle of completely revamping his throwing motion, and that it wouldn't be unusual for him to struggle at times.

Which was exactly my point in the first place. This is by far the most inept secondary the Broncos have faced. Tebow's passing game is quite adequate to the task in front of him.

Actually, they are in the one area I chose to compare them—pass defense. The Vikings are bad, and, as you've already admitted the Patriots are awful.

Um, okay, is it the team with Tom Brady, Wes Welker, and two of the most talented tight ends in the business? I'm guessing if you'd swap the Vikings and Pats D's, both teams would have almost the same record.

Yep, and the Broncos scored 7 more points on the Vikings than the Vikings allow on average. I anticipate they score 24 against the Pats.

That INT Brady threw in the last game was at least in part due to his lack of confidence that the Pats D could keep the Skins from scoring again. I'm guessing the Pats D won't be doing anything to give him any more confidence this week.

Again, the "don't compare, unless I want to compare" argument.

Which is it, should I forget about Brady, or should I not? Is Minnesota "stats-wise not equivalent in any measure," to the Pats, or are they?

A bit of consistency would buttress your case.

But since you've decided to go ahead and make the comparison, the Broncos ran for 50% more yds. than the Vikings were allowing before playing the Broncos. (Which has been the trend with many of the teams they've faced since Tebow took over).

I've already gone on record on this board saying I expect the same trend on Sunday, about 150 yds rushing from Denver.

The Broncos have faced other "stout" run defenses. Minn, Chicago, Miami, NY, Cincinnati, yet still have the top rushing attack in the league.

It's the Pats D who could be in trouble, esp. if Tebow can continue the trend over the last 3-4 games of improving as a passer.

The Pats D was tailor-made for just such a step forward.

Defensively, the Pats only hope is to force Tebow to throw, yet they are so weak in the secondary that's not exactly an appealing choice.

Indeed I will. I figured the Broncos were good for 6 wins this year. Now it looks like the playoffs are likely, and Tebow has a real shot a being the starter going into TC next year.

Anything else is gravy. Beating the Pats would be the cherry on top.

As I said originally, this game will be more about whether the Broncos defense is up to the task of slowing down the Pats offense. That's a cause of great concern to me. But if they can keep Brady & Co. in the low 20s ( a big "if") then the Broncos have a great shot at winning.

41 -23. Patriots clinch AFC East. I hope you enjoyed your cherry.

Last edited:
The big story is that the game was 41-7 once the correct adjustments were made. It showed the disparity between both teams.

I think it was somewhat of a statement. Brady was 1-6 in denver. O just put up 41 pts and D had some big turnovers..Also anderson played great

sucks carter may be done for year though
The size of the victory was greater than I was expecting, however the Patriots didn't really make a statement for mine. What they did was (as jays points out) make the correct adjustments then move from there.

The Broncos D has faced two dynamic offenses in Detroit and New England. They were belted by both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes