PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you rate the 2018 draft for Pats?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that the point is not to judge an offseason solely by the draft. My point is the entire offseason taken into account, we still have **** at LB behind Hightower and KVN on a good day

Putting aside how the drafting of 2 ILB's will impact the position group, we are talking about the off season to date not the entire offseason.

Putting aside how the drafting of 2 ILB's will impact the position group, we are talking about the off season to date not the entire offseason.
That's a fair distinction to make.

But I can only throw hissy fits and tantrums for what we have right now

IMO Draft grades are folly and a function of the bored press who need to justify their existence and pay.

You really cannot tell at this juncture, give it a couple of seasons and then assess.. some of these guys are developmental guys and the question becomes will the Pats have the patience to let them develop, or will other needs arise..

It does speak to the #12 issue as they have enough confidence in him to come back for a couple of more years, unless Etling is some sort of answer... it also speaks volumes about Gronkowski...

It is the typical BB draft most folks say WTF, but others say it is genius..

That's a fair distinction to make.

But I can only throw hissy fits and tantrums for what we have right now

It's a testament to your stamina that you are willing to invest the energy into them now and beat the holiday rush

Last edited:
It's a testament to your energy level that you are willing to invest the energy into them now and beat the holiday rush
Well it's either this or work and I never have the energy for work

i wait 2019 draft to reply on this one

I would rate it a solid B+.

I would have liked to see us take more front 7 players, not wasting a pick on a QB that likely is practice squad material, a WR that likely won't make the team, and etc...

BUT I also recognize that half of our draft class is unlikely to crack the 53 man roster and expect an UDFA or two to make the final cut.....

Far from a finished product...and this team is a DEEP team that was ONE TACKLE away from winning it all....

LT was a need or OL. Wynn hopefully pays of this season.

Sony. NE is a RBBC team. I guess was would be more fitting because do you really want a 1st round pick sitting on his axx?

The Smurf CB. Ok he is fast. What's going to happen when defenses match a 6 - 4 WR on him?

The QB doesn't sound too threatening to Brady. What the QB draft look like in 2019?

C draft grade.

You said it yourself, NE WAS a RBBC team because it was necessary. We didn't have anyone worthy of being the workhorse. They either didn't have the size or the natural ability.

In 2009, our TEs caught a total of 43 passes. By 2011, that number was up to 169. Was it a decision to force the ball to TEs, or simply having TEs worth throwing the ball to? That's why the Michel pick shouldn't be judged by how our philosophy at RB has been in recent seasons.

As for Dawson, how often does it need to be said that he's literally right at the average height of NFL CBs? Malcolm Butler measured a full inch shorter than Dawson at his pro day. Are we just looking for anything, any reason at all to hate the pick?

IMO Draft grades are folly and a function of the bored press who need to justify their existence and pay.

You really cannot tell at this juncture, give it a couple of seasons and then assess.. some of these guys are developmental guys and the question becomes will the Pats have the patience to let them develop, or will other needs arise..

It does speak to the #12 issue as they have enough confidence in him to come back for a couple of more years, unless Etling is some sort of answer... it also speaks volumes about Gronkowski...

It is the typical BB draft most folks say WTF, but others say it is genius..
Most of the time I agree but there are def some draft classes, players you know ahead will be good/great.

My thoughts about the draft in general & players got.

B+. Love the picks of Wynn, Sony, Dawson, Sam, Berrios and a 2019 2nd and 3rd round pick. Throw in Shelton, Patterson, McCourty and Brown from which we traded 2018 picks and we came away with some holes filled and strong depth

283 thumbs up.

We got a good looking OL, a good looking RB, a slot CB, a developmental LB, and a possible slot WR in the 7th round. Also traded for another OT and added some solid picks for next year. And some camp guys who maybe hit. I thought replacing Solder would be the biggest challenge and maybe they have been able to do that between Garcia, Wynn, and Brown. They’re in big nickel a ton and so they need a steady supply of DB. I’m in the camp that says they need one more impact DL and they weren’t in position to get that so...
Overall liked the draft!

D-

Too much talent bypassed in favor of unnecessary (Sony the Shiny Toy) or inferior (except for Wynn, everybody else) players with more product knowledge than production and ability.

You really fuss about the waste of a 7th rounder? I don't know what else we could have done. I suppose that we could have drafted a LB that Belichick didn't want in place of one of the top 5 priorities that he wanted (the 3 we picked and the 2 into 2019).

1) Our locks (early round picks) were roundly applauded, and meet needs.

2) We added a 2019 2nd and 3rd.

3) We have some later competition for Roberts. One might make the team (Bentley, Sam).

4) We added the next short punt returner, who will likely make the Practice Squad.

5) In ADDITION, there are some more that could make the squad. After all, a couple of late picks or UDFA's usually make the 53. These are at positions of need (DE, CB, RB, TE).

I would rate it a solid B+.

I would have liked to see us take more front 7 players, not wasting a pick on a QB that likely is practice squad material, a WR that likely won't make the team, and etc...

BUT I also recognize that half of our draft class is unlikely to crack the 53 man roster and expect an UDFA or two to make the final cut.....

Far from a finished product...and this team is a DEEP team that was ONE TACKLE away from winning it all....

Last edited:
You really fuss about the waste of a 7th rounder? I don't act else we could have done. I suppose that we could have drafted a LB that Belichick didn't want in place of one of the top 5 priorities that he wanted (the 3 we picked and the 2 into 2019).

1) Our locks (early round picks) were roundly applauded, and meet needs.

2) We added a 2019 2nd and 3rd.

3) We have some later competition for Roberts. One might make the team (Bentley, Sam).

4) We added the next short punt returner, who will likely make the Practice Squad.

5) In ADDITION, there are some more that could make the squad. After all, a couple of late picks or UDFA's usually make the 53. These are at positions of need (DE, CB, RB, TE).

Ha ha....okay...I upgrade it to an A-, then!!! Sometimes you just need to complain about things....

I would give it about a C- . I don’t feel like we addressed all the areas we needed to address. The QB we selected.....don’t even know what to say mostly because he wasn’t anywhere on any of the draft mocks that I read. Most likely will be gone before start of season. Hope Tom stays healthy but realistically he has about 2 years left at most .....44 years old....he will b ready to retire ....and that’s what his wife wants too.....Maybe next year B.B. will draft a QB

The drafted QB is probably competing for back up. Pats have a decent history using late picks and UDFA. Hoyer, Guiteriz (sp), Cassel. Don't forget Brady in round 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back