PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you rate the 2018 draft for Pats?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I would give it about a C- . I don’t feel like we addressed all the areas we needed to address. The QB we selected.....don’t even know what to say mostly because he wasn’t anywhere on any of the draft mocks that I read. Most likely will be gone before start of season. Hope Tom stays healthy but realistically he has about 2 years left at most .....44 years old....he will b ready to retire ....and that’s what his wife wants too.....Maybe next year B.B. will draft a QB

In terms of the players, I love Wynn and Michel. I don't know enough about the rest.

Lots of solid players at positions of need (OL, RB, slot, backup LB, blocking TE, etc). It was a very solid, workman-like draft that should allow us to continue to compete at a high level. We didn't go out and get a superstar or an elite athlete pass rusher, but we did pick up smart, tough, dedicated football players who can step in and compete. At the end of the day, that's the best you can ask for in this phase of roster building.

We still have some holes on this team, but fewer than we did three days ago. I'm happy.

Based on priorities, B+

They needed a LT. Check

They needed a playmaker at RB. Check

They needed a slot CB to help ease Malcolm's loss and force Richards into retirement

They needed LBs. Check.

They needed a QB to play in 3 years so it was not a priority.

Last edited:
Seems like we did a good job replacing the players we lost in the offseason.
Nate Solder replaced by Isiah Wynn;
D. Lewis replaced by Sony Michel;
Malcolm Butler replaced by Duke Dawson;
Danny A replaced by Braxton Barrios;
Jimmy G replaced by Danny Etling.

Plus we added a few LB's for depth.

What more could we ask for? (except for a pass rush . . . but it seems that we're never going to get one :()

The draft itself? I’ll give it a solid B.
Picked up a solid, versatile Lineman.
Picked up an electrifying RB.
Traded for a very good (albeit it out of shape) young Tackle that at times can be dominant.
Picked up a 2nd rd pick next year.
Picked up a 3rd rd pick next year.
Picked up one of the more highly touted slot corners in the draft.
Picked up 2 LB’s that are nothing incredibly special but are sound, tough, and physical.
Took a flier on a very athletic, scrappy corner that could use some coaching.
Picked up a twitchy, quick slot WR that has strong PR capabilities.
Snagged a camp QB that apparently the team saw something in. I don’t know much about him, but....he was an end of the draft guy. We missed, big deal.
The TE, no clue.

Don’t know who makes this team and who doesn’t from this group. One thing is certain though. We went after smart, hard working, tough sons of *****es that ooze leadership and a love for football. I’ll stand behind those traits any day.

After FA, the draft, UDFA, a few roster tweaks here and there during the summer, this team is going to be younger, and have gone through so many battles with camp competition, I have no doubt this is going to be a good, tough as nails ball club.

I’d also like to add, we didn’t sacrifice the future of the team to do what we did either. We made a lot of picks, and acquired old school Patriot types of players and guaranteed a strong presence in the 2019 draft as well.

What I liked about the draft is we have some new talent to get excited about. What I didn’t like about the draft is the little whining *****es we have on this site that act like they are a top GM in this league because they read a draft guide. We will not know until 2-3 years how we graded out. But I am trustworthy of Bills board

I wouldn't care if they had won the ****ing SB. Now every decision gets picked apart. D+ for picking more injury prone players in the wrong positions.

What I liked about the draft is we have some new talent to get excited about. What I didn’t like about the draft is the little whining *****es we have on this site that act like they are a top GM in this league because they read a draft guide. We will not know until 2-3 years how we graded out. But I am trustworthy of Bills board
The funny thing is the posters on this board who do the most work on the draft and have the most knowledge are pretty neutral on the picks and the draft overall, seeing both positives and negatives.
The ones who don’t know anything are opinionated, certain, critical and negative.

I give the draft an incomplete. We have 12 picks for the 2019 draft. I have no doubt some of them will be traded in the coming months for veterans. Having those extra picks gives us a great ability to acquire some talent without leaving gaps in our picks.

Time for a knee jerk draft grade! :p

I'll play. B+. B because it appears to be a solid draft filling needs by adding two 1st round talents, a slot corner prospect, and a half dozen late round scratch off lottery tickets. + because BB pissed off draftniks as usual. Somewhat entertaining that part so it earns a bonus.

Police in New England will be working overtime coaxing hyperventilating football fans who took the draft too seriously off from ledges, rooftops, and bridges. :)

The funny thing is the posters on this board who do the most work on the draft and have the most knowledge are pretty neutral on the picks and the draft overall, seeing both positives and negatives.
The ones who don’t know anything are opinionated, certain, critical and negative.
I am grateful of what I call as the TALENT on this board. They do a lot of work and I listen to and respect their opinion. They are not the ones who just flat out irritate me. It is fine to say I did not like the positions in the draft we chose. But to say we sucked in our draft because I had this guy rated over that guy is bold and childish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots