PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How will Branch do today

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeShmoe

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I have a feeling Branch is going to be targeted more than we or the Ravens think

I'm guessing he has 5+ catches -be interesting to see if he can still get the seperation

I have a feeling Branch is going to be targeted more than we or the Ravens think

I'm guessing he has 5+ catches -be interesting to see if he can still get the seperation

do not hold your breath on the separation part

he will do alright

I would guess OK to poor. Should take a little time to get in the flow.

do not hold your breath on the separation part

he will do alright

He cant be much worse than the separation Moss was getting, seemed to me unless he outsprinted someone on his out route, he wasn't able to cut or get any time. Maybe that wasnt his game but it used to be Branch's

We'll see - I think he might just surprise a few people

Last edited:
I think he will do well. The Ravens are facing a bit of a dilemma in that they really do know what to expect out of him or the Patriots offense. They cannot rely on Seattle game tape since he will have a new route tree for the Patriots and they cannot get much from digging up tape from Branch's previous stint with the Patriots. They also do not know much about Tate and the TEs. So the Patriots should do OK if they can hold off the rush...and if they had a good OC... Can you imagine what Skippy could have done with these offensive tools?

Globe had an interview with Wes yesterday where he said Brady never stopped talking about Branch and just in the last few days of practice he's seen why. Says the connection is still palpable (OK "there" would be more a Welker term...) and he seemed to have picked up the offense pdq as far as game planning is concerned. I think the toughest part of the equation will take a little more time and that is for Branch and the rest of the WR to get in psynch (knowing each others tendancies blocking and adjustment wise) and for Brady to be comfortable knowing what they all will do in situations consistently. It's all about trust and consistent execution allowing an OC and QB to build rhythm on offense.

Branch can theoretically run any route from any set and he's a valuable tool in motion because he can help unmask a defense and then help capitalize on it. He's said himself that may take a little time to again perfect because it doesn't just involve him and Tom, it involves the OL and the other receivers and even the backs all being on the same page. Hasselbeck says he's again the same guy physically that he was back in 2005 so if he (and others) can stay healthy adding that guy to this offense in place of the pure deep threat should pay serious dividends going forward. Then it will be a matter of whether the young D both continues to improve and benefits from less time on the field and better field position. Because we won't have quite the same quick strike capacity to fall back on, but then again it wasn't exactly proving to be the slam dunk it needed to be since 2007.

Everything you look at logically in this game would indicate Branch will have a quiet game.

1. Offense won't be used to him
2. He won't be used to the offense
3. He won't know all the plays / terminology
4. He might not even be used to the way Pats gameplan now (though it probably hasn't changed that much over the years, though I suspect it's changed more than people think-- switch from those coordinators to Belichick only is bound to have caused SOME change as far as how that goes.)

Now that said, my gut feeling is he has a huge game. But I'm admitting up front that there's nothing to support that and I'm probably wrong.

He cant be much worse than the separation Moss was getting, seemed to me unless he outsprinted someone on his out route, he wasn't able to cut or get any time. Maybe that wasnt his game but it used to be Branch's

We'll see - I think he might just surprise a few people

If that is what Moss was, then Branch is Moss minus the ability to outrun people.

Told ya :p

Yup, up to seven today. What did Moss have this year .. 9?

Such a waste of a precious fourth rounder. OBVIOUSLY all about nostalgia.

God damnit i cant believe we wasted a fourth rounder on this chump

Awesome

When it mattered

And his first game

Welcome back Deion

DeionBranchMVP_small.jpg

10 char

ESPN: "So let's get this straight: The Patriots weren't satisfied with Randy Moss, decided Vincent Jackson wasn't worth the headache but that Deion Branch is the answer as Wes Welker's new complement? Listen, this isn't 2004. And Branch wasn't all that back then, either."

98 yards, 1 TD.
:rocker:

He never should have left. I think now he also knows that. Welcome back Twiggy.

Couldn't have asked for a better game in his NE return.

I really hope he stays reasonably healthy, at least to be healthy for the playoff run/playoffs. Performance wise his legs are as good as they ever were.

This offense can be great again, there's still some room for improvement but 23 points against an elite defense isn't a bad start.

Last edited:
I think he was the most important player out there in the second half and OT. More importantly, he looked quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes