PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Salvage This Season?

Probably isn’t but they can’t do anything about an upgrade until the season is over.
Believe it or not... I think Mac is here next season solely because he is under team control.. they will bring in some vets and have everyone compete. I don't follow to much college, but if there is an athletic QB with a big arm go for it it. Right now we are in the #5 draft position.. I think we'll likely finish higher.

Believe it or not... I think Mac is here next season solely because he is under team control.. they will bring in some vets and have everyone compete. I don't follow to much college, but if there is an athletic QB with a big arm go for it it. Right now we are in the #5 draft position.. I think we'll likely finish higher.
I think so too. If Mac isn’t it then give him the bridge role until the new guy is ready.

I think so too. If Mac isn’t it then give him the bridge role until the new guy is ready.
Agreed. San Fran did this with Trey Lance. Unlike Mac I still think Lance is salvageable.

I don't think it's right to call Bill an imbecile of a coach. Granted, his record without a great QB is pathetic, with the Pats and Browns both, but he's not that bad as a HC. He's more of an imbecile as a GM.

Clearly he’s a great Xs and Os guy for defense. These are my issues:

-Part of the GM stuff trickles over to his coaching. He doesn’t want strong personalities from the Old School of Parcells. I think that often translates to hesitation for more flashy, athletic types of receivers. He said recently that he only wants to coach players he likes. I can’t imagine any other coach in the NFL gets that luxury, nor do I believe it’s a winning philosophy.

-As head coach, wouldn’t you think he’s noticed that there’s no real third down back or shifty slot receiver? His offensive philosophy is baffling. Wide receiver evaluations obviously a joke. Even that overrated playoff Cleveland team (that fell apart down the stretch) had a ****ty offense.

-His fourth down conservatism really, truly hurts the team. His decisions on punting / field goals / going for it is rarely consistent. Not playing the probabilities is a disadvantage. It’s hard for me to believe that his magical (and conveniently unquantifiable) schemes make up for this problem.

-The buddy network with the coaches is atrocious. I’ve been saying since 2020 he needs someone to bring new ideas to challenge him. He went so far as to install the Shanahan-McVay system on offense with two failed loyalists who are not only dopes but hadn’t run an offense and didn’t know what the system is. Is that GM or coaching? I think it’s at least half in the coaching category. It seems he only hires coaches he already knows as well.

Last edited:
It sucks to say, but i would be more than happy to lose out the rest of the season. We should have been more active to try to be sellers in the trade dead line. Sadly that ship has sailed. I want to focus on developing young guys and getting a high draft pick. I have always been of the mind that any year without a super bowl win is a bad year. While that may be a bit over the top at times, I stay with that sentiment for the most part. Any action should be to meet that end. I'd rather be a team that's bad most of the time and occasionally wins than a team that's good all the time but never has a real chance. So the only way to salvage this season is to us it to increase our odds of winning the championship to the highest degree we can. Look at the Rams, from 99-now they have lost more games than they won, but they have 4 appearances and 2 titles in that time. Would you really rather be Dallas for those years? I wouldn't.

Mac isn't the guy. These WRs and TEs aren't getting it done. We need more of a pass catching threat out of the RB position. Basically we need to rebuild the offense from the ground up. The OL as well. We need to accept we are in a rebuilding cycle (not year... we need multiple ones) and should do what it takes to help move things along. And that means not worrying about guys who will be 30 or older by the time we're ready to go. And not keeping players are key spots who are bad value. And not picking higher in the draft than we need to. I want to pick first or second overall this year. The difference between 5-12 vs 3-14 could be the difference between spot 2 and spot 8. That is a massive value difference. And not just for round 1. People focus on getting the higher first round pick but often under estimate how important higher picks are in round 2 as well, even round 3 matters to a degree. Though the difference between 66 and 71 isn't so big really when all is said and done.

So I hope we lose, I hope we get rid of these bad contracts, and I hope we look to go young all around as we build towards what is likely a 3 year reset.

Last edited:
Clearly he’s a great Xs and Os guy for defense. These are my issues:

-Part of the GM stuff trickles over to his coaching. He doesn’t want strong personalities from the Old School of Parcells. I think that often translates to hesitation for more flashy, athletic types of receivers. He said recently that he only wants to coach players he likes. I can’t imagine any other coach in the NFL gets that luxury, nor do I believe it’s a winning philosophy.

Wow. Virtually everything in this post is either wrong or made up.

There is zero evidence he “doesn’t want strong personalities” and plenty of proof that is wrong.
Ocho cinco
Moss
Gronk
Rodney
Law
AB
Bryan Cox
Seau
Haynesworth
Light
the list goes in and on.

He did not recently make that comment, he made it in 2016 in an interview prior to wining one of the 3 SBs he won during an 8 year run of getting to 8 consecutive AFCCG 5 SBs and winning 3 of them. It was an off the cuff comment in an interview with jimmy johnson, not a “philosophy” and whatever philosophy he was employing at the time was the winnngest ever.
-As head coach, wouldn’t you think he’s noticed that there’s no real third down back or shifty slot receiver?
Elliot and Stevenson are re 3rd down backs. They are better than the majority of the teams in the nfl have. Douglass looks pretty shifty to me.
His offensive philosophy is baffling. Wide receiver evaluations obviously a joke. Even that overrated playoff Cleveland team (that fell apart down the stretch) had a ****ty offense.

-His fourth down conservatism really, truly hurts the team. His decisions on punting / field goals / going for it is rarely consistent. Not playing the probabilities is a disadvantage. It’s hard for me to believe that his magical (and conveniently unquantifiable) schemes make up for this problem.
His decision making has led to the greatest dynasty ever. Laughable that you think you know better.

[quite]-The buddy network with the coaches is atrocious. I’ve been saying since 2020 he needs someone to bring new ideas to challenge him. He went so far as to install the Shanahan-McVay system on offense with two failed loyalists who are not only dopes but hadn’t run an offense and didn’t know what the system is. Is that GM or coaching? I think it’s at least half in the coaching category. It seems he only hires coaches he already knows as well.
[/QUOTE]
Every coach ever hires based upon familiarity and connections.
He did not install a Shanahans system. This has been debunked numerous times.

It sucks to say, but i would be more than happy to lose out the rest of the season. We should have been more active to try to be sellers in the trade dead line. Sadly that ship has sailed. I want to focus on developing young guys and getting a high draft pick. I have always been of the mind that any year without a super bowl win is a bad year. While that may be a bit over the top at times, I stay with that sentiment for the most part. Any action should be to meet that end. I'd rather be a team that's bad most of the time and occasionally wins than a team that's good all the time but never has a real chance. So the only way to salvage this season is to us it to increase our odds of winning the championship to the highest degree we can. Look at the Rams, from 99-now they have lost more games than they won, but they have 4 appearances and 2 titles in that time. Would you really rather be Dallas for those years? I wouldn't.

Mac isn't the guy. These WRs and TEs aren't getting it done. We need more of a pass catching threat out of the RB position. Basically we need to rebuild the offense from the ground up. The OL as well. We need to accept we are in a rebuilding cycle (not year... we need multiple ones) and should do what it takes to help move things along. And that means not worrying about guys who will be 30 or older by the time we're ready to go. And not keeping players are key spots who are bad value. And not picking higher in the draft than we need to. I want to pick first or second overall this year. The difference between 5-12 vs 3-14 could be the difference between spot 2 and spot 8. That is a massive value difference. And not just for round 1. People focus on getting the higher first round pick but often under estimate how important higher picks are in round 2 as well, even round 3 matters to a degree. Though the difference between 66 and 71 isn't so big really when all is said and done.

So I hope we lose, I hope we get rid of these bad contracts, and I hope we look to go young all around as we build towards what is likely a 3 year reset.
No one gets better by losing.

It's just further realizing how far we are away.. we now have to hope we get the top picks in the draft. No one forced BB to sign, draft and put together this roster. It was his decision. There were plentiful other options in FA.. the D hop situation really is baffling. 2 seasons ago at one point being 9-3 and having the top seed in the AFC to here we are 2 years later.. the NFLs worst roster and worst offense.

Yes Andrew luck says so..
Andrew Luck won 4 playoff games in 7 years. The colts were much better than that before they tanked.
Seattle didn’t tank and got Russell Wilson and won a lot more than the Colts did

Yes Andrew luck says so..
If the patriots draft Andrew Luck next year and get the results the Colts did for the 8 years he was there and then start over are you happy?

If the next 12 years of the patriots organization exactly resemble 2012- today of the Colts are you happy?

If the patriots draft Andrew Luck next year and get the results the Colts did for the 8 years he was there and then start over are you happy?

If the next 12 years of the patriots organization exactly resemble 2012- today of the Colts are you happy?
The Colts had success for a few years with luck.. it wasn't until he started getting injured that they faltered. The point I'm making is they tanked.. not saying we should but it landed them a dam good QB and they won with him.

I'd be happy with identifying &picking a QB that we can win with, properly developing him.. providing weapons for that guy and allowing him to grow.

Se
Andrew Luck won 4 playoff games in 7 years. The colts were much better than that before they tanked.
Seattle didn’t tank and got Russell Wilson and won a lot more than the Colts did
Seattle plays in the NFC.. luck had to deal with brady each of his seasons. NFC teams made the dance going 7-9 for years.

The Colts had success for a few years with luck.. it wasn't until he started getting injured that they faltered. The point I'm making is they tanked.. not saying we should but it landed them a dam good QB and they won with him.

I'd be happy with identifying &picking a QB that we can win with, properly developing him.. providing weapons for that guy and allowing him to grow.
They are your best example of ranking and it didn’t work.

Se

Seattle plays in the NFC.. luck had to deal with brady each of his seasons. NFC teams made the dance going 7-9 for years.
What are you talking about?

Would your rather have the Seattle results from 2012 to now or Indy’s?

You didn’t answer the question.
If the patriots tank and then have the exact same results as the colts over the next 12 years are you happy?

What are you talking about?

Would your rather have the Seattle results from 2012 to now or Indy’s?
What don't you understand? I said the NFC have teams make the playoffs under 500. As Seattle has done before . The path for NFC teams isn't like AFC teams. I'm just saying that there were years Seattle made the playoffs under 500. Meanwhile we were 11-5 one Season and didn't. So just saying that Seattle isn't a fair comparison.

You didn’t answer the question.
If the patriots tank and then have the exact same results as the colts over the next 12 years are you happy?
I would want lasting success

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back