PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How To Blow the 2024 Draft

If we draft JJ McCarthy #3, the draft in a nose dive & hopefully many fans will reject the Kraft selections to run this organization after Belichick
I'll be expecting extra Mayo nays from you if that happens.

I sure would rather have a generational wide receiver than a QB that 2 teams already passed on....
Tom Brady had 32 teams pass on him for 5 rounds and 31 teams for 6.

One poster earlier called the selection a generational prospect, but the emphasis is on the word prospect. Nobody knows how any of these QBs will pan out in the NYFL. It's possible that none of them will.

Exactly. Great QBs can be had late in the draft. No need to force one into the #3 pick.

I sure would rather have a generational wide receiver than a QB that 2 teams already passed on....
Malik Nabers over MHJ. The latter was the consensus number one wideout until he wasn’t. Even when challenged by Nabers’s spectacular athleticism, MHJ acted blasé.

One way to blow this draft is to draft players, however elite, who aren’t HUNGRY.

For older Patriots fans like me, and I’m 57, the career of stud Texas DT Kenneth Sims comes to mind. He was supremely talented but mailed it in.

Until his contract year. And then after the big contract, he fell off the cliff.

It still hurts me. I had such high hopes for him.

That’s why I’m so high on QB Spencer Rattler. A supreme talent second only to Caleb Williams who is willing to do the daily grind.

He’s already been tested by adversity. He’s eager to prove his doubters wrong.

Michael Penix is another such guy.

Exactly. Great QBs can be had late in the draft. No need to force one into the #3 pick.
No. Other than Brady, I can’t think of one. But decent, even good ones can be found.

Drafting them in the first round is a total crap shoot. For every Zach Wilson, Blaine Gabbert, or a Jay Rosen, a team can find a decent Andy Dalton. If they’re really lucky, a team can find a top tier QB.

Sometimes it’s obvious. Like with Joe Burrow. sometimes it’s not as clear as with a Mahomes or Josh Allen, who stunk early on.

No. Other than Brady, I can’t think of one. But decent, even good ones can be found.

Drafting them in the first round is a total crap shoot. For every Zach Wilson, Blaine Gabbert, or a Jay Rosen, a team can find a decent Andy Dalton. If they’re really lucky, a team can find a top tier QB.

Sometimes it’s obvious. Like with Joe Burrow. sometimes it’s not as clear as with a Mahomes or Josh Allen, who stunk early on.
There's no better way to improve your QB play than by drafting a generational WR - like MHJ.

How to blow the draft:

Be that team that overvalues one teammate (Johnny Manziel) while overlooking other teammates (Mike Evans, Jake Matthews) for his collegiate success.
Isn't that an argument against Daniels?

Can you name another great quarterback taken in round 5 or later over the last 40 years? Brady was an anomaly, I think.

Can you name another great quarterback taken in round 5 or later over the last 40 years? Brady was an anomaly, I think.
Brady was an anomaly because he is the Greatest QB of all time. No matter where he got drafted, whether it was 1st overall or undrafted, he would be an anomaly. There will never be another Brady in all our lifetimes. No player will ever duplicate the success Brady had. Let us set aside the ridiculous notion than we - or any other team in the NFL - will ever draft another Tom Brady because no such creature exists and never will.

The statement I made which started us down this ridiculous rabbit hole is that I would rather have a generational Wide Receiver than a QB that 2 teams already passed on. I stand by that statement.

Brady was an anomaly because he is the Greatest QB of all time. No matter where he got drafted, whether it was 1st overall or undrafted, he would be an anomaly. There will never be another Brady in all our lifetimes. No player will ever duplicate the success Brady had. Let us set aside the ridiculous notion than we - or any other team in the NFL - will ever draft another Tom Brady because no such creature exists and never will.

The statement I made which started us down this ridiculous rabbit hole is that I would rather have a generational Wide Receiver than a QB that 2 teams already passed on. I stand by that statement.
There can't be more than one good QB in a draft? You could get a great QB in the second round but by your logic who wants a QB who 32 teams passed on. Also the QB picked 4th could be better than QBs picked 1-2 or 3. I don't get the logic unless you want to wait for a great QB to be available when we ever get to draft number 1 and hope he's the real deal.

One poster earlier called the selection a generational prospect, but the emphasis is on the word prospect. Nobody knows how any of these QBs will pan out in the NYFL. It's possible that none of them will.
All we can really ask is that the player invests the time and effort to give himself the chance to be successful on and off the field. As we saw with Mac a rookies confidence will be tested when dealing with the growing pains associated with becoming an NFL QB. Whoever is picked this year they deserve the opportunity to prove themselves before being picked to shreds by the media and fanbase. With the polarization around which QB is best and fresh wounds from the Mac era, I hope the new guy can get off to a good start. The same goes for Mayo and Wolf. With all of the off season drama things could get very toxic, very quickly. That would not be healthy for a rebuilding team.

That's a roundabout way to not answer my question. You said we can get a "great QB" later in the draft. Brady is an anomaly, as I said, so I'm not sure why you spent a whole paragraph saying the same thing. Name a single "great QB" picked at round 5 or later, other than Tom Brady. I'll make it easier on you: round 4 or later.

Brock Purdy.

And this stat is a silly one -?teams who need QBs, or even have starters aging out, take their shots in the early rounds. Most guys drafted after round two or three will be lucky to even get in a game, let alone develop the experience needed to grow.

That's a roundabout way to not answer my question. You said we can get a "great QB" later in the draft. Brady is an anomaly, as I said, so I'm not sure why you spent a whole paragraph saying the same thing. Name a single "great QB" picked at round 5 or later, other than Tom Brady. I'll make it easier on you: round 4 or later.
You seem woefully unaware that this year's NFC conference champion QB, who was #5 in MVP voting, was selected in the 7th round.

Draft JJ Mac 2.0 Arthy

Makes Alex Smith look prolific.

How to blow the draft:

Be that team that overvalues one teammate (Johnny Manziel) while overlooking other teammates (Mike Evans, Jake Matthews) for his collegiate success.

Isn't that an argument against Daniels?

Good point, I hadn't even thought about that; Manziel was just a name that came to mind as an infamous draft bust.
That Texas A&M offense was explosive and fun to watch. In retrospect the warning signs about Manziel should not have been overlooked.

On the surface yes, this could be an argument against Daniels; but the same logic could be applied to other 2024 draft prospects as well.
So out of curiosity I decided to compare the top QB prospects (with other teammate prospects) in this year's draft.

Maye and Spencer Rattler had the least help, followed by Caleb Williams.
While Daniels had a fine supporting cast, McCarthy had the best team overall.
Penix had the most quality offensive talent around him.

The # below is a consensus Big Board ranking as of this time, for the top 250 prospects.
Bold = Top 250 offensive skill player and italics = Top 250 defensive player.

#1. QB Caleb Williams
Other USC players:
#78 S Calen Bullock
#103 RB MarShawn Lloyd
#111 WR Brendan Rice
#180 WR Tahj Washington

#2. QB Drake Maye
Other North Carolina players:
#74 WR Devontez Walker
#94 LB Cedric Gray

#4. QB Jayden Daniels
Other LSU players: