PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to be competitive in the AFC again

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is a spot we really haven’t been in for the last 20 years. We can’t even get out of our division, this year it seems like we’re the 3rd best team in the afc east behind buffalo and Miami. The defense looks painfully slow and it was a mistake not to get a #1 receiver.

The 2010s patriots had success because they had offensive playmakers. At first it was Gronk and Hernandez and then it was Edelman and gronk. Defenses had to account for gronk and use up extra resources because he was that physical and could burn any safety or corner they put on him. That opened up someone in the slot like welker or Edelman to get open, they couldn’t stop both of them most of the time.

Right now we don’t have anything like that, Jonnu smith and hunter Henry were supposed to be that but it didn’t pan out that way at all. There needs to be some physicality on offense. Let’s be real, Kendrick Bourne and Nelson aghlor would be maybe 3rd or 4th options on any other team.

I think there was an improvement from 2020 because that was one of the least talented rosters we’ve ever had and that’s part of a rebuild. We need to go after a receiver in the offseason like davonte adams or Allen Robinson. Every other afc contender has that number 1 guy but we don’t. Having Bourne, aghlor and meyers and a number 1 wideout is key.

Also the defense is just painfully slow. BB needs to evolve with the game and stop using those bigger and slower linebackers. Josh Allen carved them up twice this season and twice last season and the way things panned out at the end of the year is just not the standard this franchise has 20+ years under bill and Kraft. So we need to draft a stud for the defense, maybe someone like Nakobe dean from Georgia

Yeah Allen blew by the defense. Judon spying Allen on that one play was ridiculous and he had no shot tracking down Allen. In fact, this was Judon’s worst game. The D needs a star MLB and better talent up front.

Bill needs to find a game changer on offense.

Last edited:
Said it in another thread, but this has the 2009 feel to it, with the difference being we're starting over at QB. We've got some older legends on the roster from the last dynasty, some stop gaps covering critical areas, and a need for a strong couple of drafts. We had an epic 2010 draft, and we need something like that again.

I like our QB, and we've got a lot of things going well enough for this stage of the rebuild. It's going to take time. Fan expectations probably should reflect that, but you know...we're a fickle bunch

Said it in another thread, but this has the 2009 feel to it, with the difference being we're starting over at QB. We've got some older legends on the roster from the last dynasty, some stop gaps covering critical areas, and a need for a strong couple of drafts. We had an epic 2010 draft, and we need something like that again.

I like our QB, and we've got a lot of things going well enough for this stage of the rebuild. It's going to take time. Fan expectations probably should reflect that, but you know...we're a fickle bunch

I kind of agree. We need a 2010 draft to revitalize the franchise that would allow us to get back to the SB in a few years. We're not winning next year either, but that's ok. It's going to be a process.

the biggest problem is for 3 straight seasons the team has faltered down the stretch w 3 different quarterbacks and different collections of players on both sides of the ball. 4 or 5 wins combined in Dec/Jan from 19-21 seasons. and 3 of those wins are against the Jets. The only constant is the coaching staff and offensive/defensive philosophy.
How to change it? Get rid of Coach Bill and his merry band of sycophants....but we know Coach Bill isn't going anywhere. The system needs a fresh set of eyes. So perhaps Bill the GM or krafty Bob could bring in a guy like Mike Zimmer (one of Bills coaching buddies) to take a look at things defensively and make suggestions. who knows. Maybe give ol friend Charlie Weis a buzz to look at the offense. Or bring in a McVay or K Shanahan assistant for the offense.
Just some ideas bc what they've been doing for the past 3 seasons ain't gonna cut it.

Gotta be more explosive on offense and the defense needs a youth injection. The AFC is going to be a grind to win. Herbert, Mahomes, Burrow are all young studs.

To be competitive in the afc, we must continue to rebuild through the draft:

no more terrible drafting.

1.) jones must have legitimate receivers. No more slow clunkers. We all love Myers and Bourne, but the reality is they are slow. Agular has speed, but has trouble tracking the ball. Better receivers with nfl speed will open up the passing game for smith and Henry, This draft is deep in receivers.

2.) we need another pass rusher. (Preferably one that can also set the edge in the running game on the outside.) but also one that can rush from the outside or move to the inside! Hall from Houston should be available when we pick in the draft.

3.) we need a press man corner that can sink his hips and has speed. In addition we need a better better slot corner than Bryant and can back up j jones, after j jones comes back.

4.) we need complete athletes at the linebacker spots and better run stoppers at defensive tackle. Hightower, Collins and guy are cooked!

5.) we need offensive tackles, especially if brown leaves.

We need more weapons on offense & a coupllinebacker that can help stop the run.

I like some of these guys as extras, but not starters. We have the worst set of WR in the NFL for the second year in a row.

I hate how bill drafts WR, so maybe a Godwin coming off an ACL is an investment because of his age, but Tampa always seems to finds a way to pay everyone these days

We definitely need to upgrade our receivers

Yeah Allen blew by the defense. Judon spying Allen on that one play was ridiculous and he had no shot tracking down Allen. In fact, this was Judon’s worst game. The D needs a star MLB and better talent up front.

Bill needs to find a game changer on offense.
^^ This. Talent at WR is a must, just look at the attention a next level WR can get

We definitely need to upgrade our receivers

The state of alabama wants to help us with 4 guys in this draft that could be upgrades over our current group of clunkers, provided they run well:

Williams - alabama. Pure speed.
metchie - alabama. Option route experience and experience with jones.
bolden - alabama. Option route experience and experience with jones.
Jobert- south alabama. Bigger target with tons of downfield catches.

Not worried about AFC competition. We just need to tweak some things, add more youth/talent, have good injury luck, and continue to improve. We will be fine. We were literally 2 wins away from being the #1 seed in the conference.

I think we need Dlineman. A receiver, sure, but defense is by far the bigger need. I hope McGrone and Perkins, and McMillan, can add some speed, but these guys are going to be useless if the defensive line can not keep the guards and center off them. Guy is too old, maybe a small rotational piece. We need a couple of very stout defensive lineman as a top priority. After that we need a CB, outside guy. Then we can talk about the WR.

I will say what I have always said since I joined this board. Some of you may agree and may not. It's the internet....no one is gonna be baptized as correct....so yeah. In order of what I would do. This recommendation is for this team as it exists today:

1) Offensive Line
2) Defensive Pass Rushers
3) Slot wideout
4) Receiver (prefer a vertical wideout over a possession receiver....would gladly take a dominant dude in either role).

Always a fan of a big, physical, nasty offensive line...however you also got to get open. No silver bullet here.

These would be my priority areas.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you want a Bills fan perspective or if it’s still too fresh, but I wouldn’t pay JC if I were the Patriots. I keep hearing how good he is and then he routinely gets abused by Diggs for at least a couple plays whenever we play him.

I’d rather have 2 quality depth players than 1 overrated starter (for the same money).

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back