PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to be competitive in the AFC again

To be competitive in the afc, we must continue to rebuild through the draft:

no more terrible drafting.

1.) jones must have legitimate receivers. No more slow clunkers. We all love Myers and Bourne, but the reality is they are slow. Agular has speed, but has trouble tracking the ball. Better receivers with nfl speed will open up the passing game for smith and Henry, This draft is deep in receivers.

2.) we need another pass rusher. (Preferably one that can also set the edge in the running game on the outside.) but also one that can rush from the outside or move to the inside! Hall from Houston should be available when we pick in the draft.

3.) we need a press man corner that can sink his hips and has speed. In addition we need a better better slot corner than Bryant and can back up j jones, after j jones comes back.

4.) we need complete athletes at the linebacker spots and better run stoppers at defensive tackle. Hightower, Collins and guy are cooked!

5.) we need offensive tackles, especially if brown leaves.
Bb the gm has been bad. We have a lot of holes

Hightower is slow. He can’t even help against the run game these days. His coverage skills have always been mediocre but we drafted him as a run stopper. Unfortunately he has fallen off the map since the SB play. It’s time for the team to draft a LB and a DE that can put the pressure along Judon. Our interior DT position could use some work.
We all seen how bad of secondary was in the early days and I hope we resign JC because he has been solid. People complain about paying the man…we need a playmaker on db not bunch of bandaids that will comeback and haunt us. Our front 7 definitely need to be better next year and hopefully the draft will take care of it. Lastly we need to let Harry go and get a solid guy at WR. Meyers and Bourne only guys on this team worth something. Agholor has been pretty much a non factor all year.

Offense- 1 quality OL,?2 High quality WR’s. Draft another young RB for depth.

Defense- Has to be the focus of this off-season, they need help on all units. If they manage to keep JC Jackson then they need another High quality CB to pair with him, getting Jones back will really help in the slot. They need to add another quality safety in free agency.

Linebacker- MLB is the priority as that was their biggest weakness defensively. Hightower and Bentley can’t cover and they apparently can’t tackle anymore either. Hopefully MaGrone will help but they need an athletic MLB who can tackle and cover.. Uche has to step up next season, and with Judon and Van Nou they might be OK there.

If they are sticking with their 3-4 then they need to use Barmore as an end and get a true run stuffing NT. And they will still need more quality DL.

Better front seven, you hire guy(s) to stop Allen and the Bills in FA, whoever they are, and keep drafting like 2021

I think the offense is pretty close. They need a third down back, a binkie go-to WR for Mac, and minor retooling on the line.

The defense is pretty much a complete rebuild. The have a few pieces like Barmore, Philipps, maybe JC, maybe Judon, Dugger, but that's about it.

You can not function as an offense when every time you get the ball there's another score from the other team. And this was not a limited event.

Said it in another thread, but this has the 2009 feel to it, with the difference being we're starting over at QB. We've got some older legends on the roster from the last dynasty, some stop gaps covering critical areas, and a need for a strong couple of drafts. We had an epic 2010 draft, and we need something like that again.

I like our QB, and we've got a lot of things going well enough for this stage of the rebuild. It's going to take time. Fan expectations probably should reflect that, but you know...we're a fickle bunch
Tom I just… ijustcantgetemtaplay like I want em to

let's ask how to be competitive in the AFC east! pats were 1-3 vs Miami and Buffalo and only 3-3 in the division. they just posted buffalo twice in the dish of 3 weeks and Buffalo did not punt once. josh Allen is 25. they have a pretty good bunch of receivers and even after diggs they are better than what Mac Jones has at his disposal. bill the GM has lots of work to do and I'm not convinced his roster is better than miami

I don't think DL is the real problem. I like Godchaux and Barmore as the future tandem inside. Judon, Ekuale, Wise & (KVN?) are good pieces to keep. We could use a Guy replacement in the middle, and a high draft pick stud DE/Edge to replace Wino - who's out.
It's really the LB's we need to upgrade, starting with HT & Collins retiring. I like Bentley at MLB, what we need is either Uche to figure it out, and Perkins/Jennings to flash, or draft/FA some high-level speed/talent at OLB. Tavai, Langi are gone.
DB isn't all lost. DMac can retire. Phillips, Dugger, Bledsoe & (Davis?) are good at S. JC is the key to the CB's, have to keep him. Then, Mills, Wade, and high draft pick can figure it out at #2, along with J. Jones coming back at slot. Maybe Ross and/or Bryant stick as rotational.
To sum up: Draft DE/Edge in 1st round. CB in 2nd. Find DL late or FA

Said it in another thread, but this has the 2009 feel to it, with the difference being we're starting over at QB. We've got some older legends on the roster from the last dynasty, some stop gaps covering critical areas, and a need for a strong couple of drafts. We had an epic 2010 draft, and we need something like that again.

I like our QB, and we've got a lot of things going well enough for this stage of the rebuild. It's going to take time. Fan expectations probably should reflect that, but you know...we're a fickle bunch
I posted in the defense slow thread this is a lot like '09. You're right on the money, IMO.

Needs, not in order other than the first one:
  • 0 technique. Ted Washington/VinceWilfork type that draws double teams, keeping OL off LBs.
  • LBs need upgrade in speed and athleticism.
  • Agholor to grow a pair. Ugh.
  • Better use of Jonnu Smith.
  • Younger, meaner and hungrier replacement for DMC.
  • Sign or replace JC Jackson.
  • Improve middle of D from line back to safety.

On Offense we're not far away actually. 50% will ride on Mac making the 2nd year leap - and I believe he will.
Our OL is still solid if we bring back Karras & Brown. Draft an OT to replace Herron & Cajuste. (which will replace Wynn or Brown in 23)
Our TE's are good. I believe Smith can emerge, and don't forget about Asiasi.
RB's should keep improving. Harris/Rham are going to be a top duo. And if White returns 100% even better.
WR's are better group than given credit for. As long as Harry is gone, we'll be fine with our 3 main guys. And either Agholor takes a big step up or bring in a FA as a replacement or a true JE11 style slot guy. Maybe Wilkerson can prove more too.
To sum up: Draft OT in 3rd-4th. Draft WR in 4th-5th. Sign FA WR like McKenzie away from Bills

At this point you gotta trust and wait.

say we spent the 1st overall on a stud lb or cb last year and kept cam?

prolly be in a similar situation to now plus or minus a few games. With the need to draft qb this year.

there’s no magic fix. we’re rebuilding. Be grateful.

Losing a lot of games for draft position and finding a stud Quarterback in a Quarterback driven league.

What good is a winning season if you do not at least compete in the Super Bowl? Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season. Who gives a crap? Mike Tomlin has 1 Super Bowl win to show for himself despite coaching a team with a HOF QB and one that drafts extremely well. Hanging the next Super Bowl Championship banner is the standard for the Pats now. Same for the Steelers or the NY Giants.

Would this Pats team be better with Justin Herbert? No question whatsoever. Josh Allen will carry the Bills to LA next month if he can keep playing his A game. I believe that unrefined Kyle Trask is the next Josh Allen with the proper development.

I posted in the defense slow thread this is a lot like '09. You're right on the money, IMO.

Needs, not in order other than the first one:
  • 0 technique. Ted Washington/VinceWilfork type that draws double teams, keeping OL off LBs.
  • LBs need upgrade in speed and athleticism.
  • Agholor to grow a pair. Ugh.
  • Better use of Jonnu Smith.
  • Younger, meaner and hungrier replacement for DMC.
  • Sign or replace JC Jackson.
  • Improve middle of D from line back to safety.

I'd agree with pretty much all of this. Like 2009 and onward though, the rebuilding D will have a lot of growing pains. Remember how it was in 2011-2013? We had the horses we were going to need, but it took time. I feel like we're already ahead of the curve with Barmore, Dugger, Judon, and (inshallah) JC. It's going to be interesting to see where things wind up.

So much of this depends on the young LB's. If the staff thinks that they've got what they need to add speed (McGrone, Jennings, etc.) and that a rookie won't be able to supplant them, then they can allocate those draft resources to other defensive positions.

I love the idea of a star NT to pair with Barmore, to make the DT position an overwhelming advantage for the next 4 years.

And adding a good CB (vet) to Jackson, Jones, and the other guys (who are all good backups) means the CB position is once again a strength.

The McCourty question is huge.

The drafts from 2013-2020 left the team pretty bereft of young talent, making it necessary to sign higher-priced vets to fill those holes. Worked out well until about 2018, then Brady departed. Hightower and McCourty need to retire, KVN and Collins need to move on, and Jackson will probably price himself out of here. The team speed is abysmal. We need an infusion of youth, size (at DT), and speed (just about everywhere else).

At this point you gotta trust and wait.

say we spent the 1st overall on a stud lb or cb last year and kept cam?

prolly be in a similar situation to now plus or minus a few games. With the need to draft qb this year.

there’s no magic fix. we’re rebuilding. Be grateful.

Agree. Now that 2 days are past and everyone is a little bit more at peace with the loss, let's think realistically what can be done to move the needle forward.

Firstly I think we need to cut dead wood.

Collins, hightower, joejuan and nkeal Harry.

Mccourty should be a backup and not the main one. The only reason I would have him is for his leadership and the dead cap we might hit if he leaves. As a player I don't think it's of much value.

With the way our ST is performing, should we invest so many resources in ST.

Now coming to draft, get the best Nose tackle who is available when we draft.

For a change draft Wr in second / third round .

Get 2 -3 DBs in lower rounds and in UDFA and let them fight out for spots in pre season.

Now the more I think about agholor interception I feel agholor slowed as Mac's ball was not traveling that fast. He had a huge leg up over the CB. So maybe Mac goes for throwing sessions with House to bring slight improvement to arm mechanics.

Hopefully Jonnu is able to get the scheme better in second year or they limit Jonnu routes to around 20 or something that he can absorb. I believe we will see better production from Jonnu and agholor in season 2.

Get a NT who demands double coverage and paired with barmore that should be enough for offenses who try to run it down us and pair Judon with mcgrone/uche/wino on the other side. McMillan should also be back next season.

If we can retain JC J great. If not, just get 3 solid linebackers with that savings.

I think the offense is pretty close. They need a third down back, a binkie go-to WR for Mac, and minor retooling on the line.

The defense is pretty much a complete rebuild. The have a few pieces like Barmore, Philipps, maybe JC, maybe Judon, Dugger, but that's about it.

You can not function as an offense when every time you get the ball there's another score from the other team. And this was not a limited event.
This…Look at the QBs in our division: Wilson, Tua and especially Allen. All of these guys are very mobile and can expose our slow defense. We need some space eaters in the middle of the DLine to compliment Barmore who can stuff the run and occupy the Oline to allow the LBs to flow to the ball.

Which leads to my next point: We need speed at the LB position - Hightower is cooked, Bentley is a JAG and Van Noy is on the decline too. We need to see what we have in the young guys already on the roster and definitely upgrade speed through the draft and FA.

What will we do with JC? Regardless, we need at least one more cover CB. McCourty is done (thanks for your service) so we need another FS to go along with Duggar and Phillips.

It’s no secret what we need on O: a true #1 receiver to help the development of Mac. We also need to implement some 2 TE sets, it’s not like Jonnu forgot how to play TE once he joined the Pats; it’s on Josh to mix him into the game plan.

Adding Oline depth is always critical; we need OTs given Wynns proneness to injury and Brown’s uncertainty.

Losing 47-10 and being completely out of the game by the end of the first playoff game is NOT being competitive
I 100% agree that we were not competitive against the Bills. They are a much better team, especially when out nickel is on IR and we start Williams as the #2 CB.

Hurtful, but I don't think you're wrong
Ppl comparing to ‘09… that happened then too!!!

i think I’m most disappointed in uche tbh. If he panned out with dugger being a stud… maybe they can focus on secondary and DT. But now they need lb.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back