PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Much Is Jason McCourty Worth To The Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I would really like us to re-sign JMAC; but how much would he cost?

Our current corners are

Gilmore
Jackson
Jones (or a 2nd rounder)
Dawson
Crossen

Our current corners are

Gilmore
Jackson
Jones (or a 2nd rounder)
Dawson
Crossen
I'm guessing the same $3MM he got last season. In my mind he vastly outplayed that contract, but I think he's a luxury given we already have one star and 4 very young, but quality guys who got a lot of experience this year.

That being said, keeping 6 CB's on a 53 man roster is not surprising these days. When you think about it, we really do have an embarassment of riches in the secondary. When was the last time a team brought back all 6 of their CB's for a 2nd season. The familiarity alone would cause the group to raise a high bar even higher.

In another thread, I had said $5-6M annually and not many agreed, as they had his number closer to $3M. Cornerback seems to be a very highly valued position every year. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get an offer from some team for at least $5M AAV. I think a deal for 2 yrs/9M, 6 gtd is about right, but I know most people don’t agree.

It’s a tough one to answer.

I say let’s offer five mill or four with enough incentive money to make it work

I'd like to see Jason back for another year. Tell me how well Dawson had progressed behind the scenes, however, and whether or not Jones receives a 2nd round tender, and we'll know more about the kind of offer to expect. I'd like to keep them all, but at some point a youth movement is required.

In another thread, I had said $5-6M annually and not many agreed, as they had his number closer to $3M. Cornerback seems to be a very highly valued position every year. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get an offer from some team for at least $5M AAV. I think a deal for 2 yrs/9M, 6 gtd is about right, but I know most people don’t agree.

Those people don't know anything about NFL contracts. Same people who think Trent Brown will accept $10M/year.

Those people don't know anything about NFL contracts. Same people who think Trent Brown will accept $10M/year.

Brown will get paid. He will rake in around 18m a year with roughly 35m guaranteed (Nate Solder says hello). Those 10M a year folks are living in a fantasy land.

Brown will get paid. He will rake in around 18m a year with roughly 35m guaranteed (Nate Solder says hello). Those 10M a year folks are living in a fantasy land.
I think 18M is optimistic but 15M might very well happen. I see the same with Flowers unfolding. If one of them returns I would be surprised.

I don't think Jason McCourty will return. The Patriots have cheaper alternatives and are good at picking up UDFAs.

I would like him to stay. That back end could build on the post-season and have a really good year.

I'd like to see Jason back for another year. Tell me how well Dawson had progressed behind the scenes, however, and whether or not Jones receives a 2nd round tender, and we'll know more about the kind of offer to expect. I'd like to keep them all, but at some point a youth movement is required.

The team is one the youngest in the NFL (#3 in 2018). Among their six CB's would be Jones, Jackson, Crossen and Dawson. And you want to get rid of McCourty because the group isn't YOUNG enough?

I think that this structure meets your suggestion. The 2019 cap would be $3M as seemingly "required" by most of us.

2 year contract
-----------------
Bonus of $4M
2018 $1M salary guaranteed
2019 salary TBD of which $1M would be guaranteed

Our current corners are

Gilmore
Jackson
Jones (or a 2nd rounder)
Dawson
Crossen

Is Eric Rowe still on the team, or do we figure he just goes straight to IR?

The team is one the youngest in the NFL (#3 in 2018). Among their six CB's would be Jones, Jackson, Crossen and Dawson. And you want to get rid of McCourty because the group isn't YOUNG enough?

I think you may have misunderstood my post. The very first thing that I stated was that: "I'd like to see Jason back for another year." Depending on Dawson's development (a mystery man so far), and on whether or not Jones is back (I could see Lions or Dolphins making a strong push for him, for example), my suggestion was that a contract offer to Jason might be a little more likely. I don't know if the team will decide that the youngsters are sufficient, or if they'll prefer the veteran leadership and steady play Jason brings. Re-signing Jason is my preference, which is why I said that I'd like to keep them all. I never suggested we should get younger just to get younger.

Oh, and while we're discussing the young corners, Crossen was a draft favorite of mine, but he hasn't set the world on fire on defense. He's been good on special teams, and I'm still positive regarding his continued development, but I don't think he's reliable depth just yet. If Jones leaves in FA, and Dawson and Crossen don't take the next step, then depth looks poor.

The second part of my comment was unclear -- I was thinking of the secondary in general, not just CB, when I mentioned a need for understudies. Chung and D. McCourty will probably start another 1 - 3 years, but they're both likely on the back end of their careers. Perhaps Melifonwu steps up and becomes a more consistent player. Perhaps not. But as much as I like Harmon, he doesn't play quite the same role as Chung or McCourty. I would expect the Patriots to add a safety in the draft somewhere in the top 100 picks.

I don't think Jason McCourty will return. The Patriots have cheaper alternatives and are good at picking up UDFAs.

It comes back again to how much the player wants to stay. What will likely happen is McCourty will test the market, give the Patriots a chance to march the best offer, and the Patriots will come in lower. How much lower and how much is McCourty willing to walk away from is the question.

Not sure how much stock to put into PFF, but they had him rated as, I think, the 6th best CB in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down