Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How Much Has Our Receiving Corp Improved?

• There is no comparison; we a top 5 set of receivers.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • There is no comparison; we a top 10 set of receivers; enough to compete for SB

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • We are better, but it doesn't matter without a top 10 QB

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • We are better, but it doesn't matter without ABC at quarterback.

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters
I think the patriots will run mostly 2 wr sets, so an upgrade at 1 position.

TEs are obviously much better

Agular and Bourne are not much of any better then what we had last year. Bb proves he can not evaluate receivers yet again.

You must mean Louie Aguiar, retired NFL punter. We’re talking about WR additions this year and you lose immediate credibility when you say that their current WRs “are not much of any better then” (is that Portugese?) last year’s crew.

Delete Edelman from last year’s group because he really wasn’t a meaningful part of their offense other than the first two games. Neither AGHOLOR nor Bourne are WR1s and they still need to add a day 1 or 2 WR, in my opinion, but both are obvious upgrades from what the put on the field in 2020. They badly needed a deep threat and signed one of the best deep threats in the league in 2020 (second highest yards per catch in the league last year with 8 touchdowns, four of which went for more than 20). They also needed someone other than Meyers who can be a reliable target when you need a key third down and Bourne has shown that he can be that type of asset in the passing game. Just because you have never seen him play doesn’t mean that he is not a legit NFL receiver.

Counting TEs, they went from: Byrd, Meyers, Harry, Gunner, Izzo, a banged up Edelman, and a bunch of random guys

to: Agholor, Bourne, Henry, Smith, Meyers, hopefully a healthy Edelman

I mean, that's an ENORMOUS improvement. I cannot fathom the mindset that doesn't think this represents significant a upgrade of the receiving corps.

Our receiving corps has improved a lot mainly because of Smith and Henry. They’re both blocking threats and will run routes in the middle of the field. Agholor will stretch the field which will also help Myers and Edelman if he’s healthy. This is a massive upgrade over last year.

it would be nice to have a prototypical #1 receiver, but unnecessary. Moss has been the only such receiver we’ve had in the past twenty years and wasn’t even a part of our six championships.

There is much better competition at the WR and TE positions in this year's camp compared to last year. How it shakes out remains to be seen, but there's a lot more talent in the room. RB right now gets an incomplete (in regards to catching the football) because we don't know if they're going to resign/replace White. Right now it's worse with his absence, but I expect they'll add someone to compete with Taylor for that role before the draft (could be White returning still).

Two questions:

1.) how does that translate into our offense. Answer: It doesn’t.
2.) who was the qb throwing them the ball? Answer: Probably someone better than newton.
I was just responding to you saying Bourne and Agholor are no better than what we have which is clearly rubbish based on the stats i mentioned. In terms of receivers we now have more quality. Sure we need a QB but the receivers are better. That was my point

I was just responding to you saying Bourne and Agholor are no better than what we have which is clearly rubbish based on the stats i mentioned. In terms of receivers we now have more quality. Sure we need a QB but the receivers are better. That was my point

you could have Jerry rice in his prime on the field with newton and he would be lucky to catch 200 yards of balls over a 16 game schedule. That is how bad newton is!

I look at agular’s tape from Philly and I see a guy that is slower than Byrd and not very good at the catch piont.

I look at Bourne and I see Harry part 2, a slow guy that is not sudden and generates little separation.

Meyers is probably better than either of those guys.

Better now but not good enough. BB did great in FA but I believe he misjudged the WR market. But what do I know.

the receivers/TEs they picked up fit in well with the anticipated offense.....you'll see much more 12 and 13 personnel groups, with a lot of power running/PA.......receivers are great, but you have to look at what they've added with what we'll think they'll do.....this personnel works with what i think they're going to do, and in that regard is a huge upgrade

you could have Jerry rice in his prime on the field with newton and he would be lucky to catch 200 yards of balls over a 16 game schedule. That is how bad newton is!

I look at agular’s tape from Philly and I see a guy that is slower than Byrd and not very good at the catch piont.

I look at Bourne and I see Harry part 2, a slow guy that is not sudden and generates little separation.

Of Bournes 30 catches last year 23 went for first downs or TD's which is better than Harry by quite some way. Also whilst his overall speed isn't great he ranked very highly in the 3 cone drill and really isn't harry pt 2. I think you are looking at the wrong player If you look at all his catches last year he manages to generate quite a lot of separation and has decent hands. I think he compares to Meyers much more than Harry.

We have needed a deep threat and despite you being desperate to prove otherwise Agholor stats were some of the best in the NFL last year as a deep threat. As you seem to want to ignore he led league in yards per target and was 6th in yds per reception. His hands aren't the best and he has been inconsistent so there is a risk there but also a significant upside if he can come close to last years numbers.

RB: right now it's a downgrade only because Harris/Michel/JJ Taylor are unproven. But as I've said in other threads, I don't mind White leaving as he vultures away too many touches from Harris or Michel who could provide bigger plays and get away from the gimmicks.
TE: obviously night and day better. Bill got the two best on the market.
WR: Better than before, but still needs improvement. Need an Alpha Dog WR.

There should be another vote added. The receivers are improved, but not a huge enough improvement to make the playoffs.

Receiver was the ONLY position where I felt some disappointment as far as our signings. Instead of Agholor and Bourne, I would’ve been happier with Corey Davis (an actual #1 receiver) and maybe Bourne, or even a lesser receiver. I still feel this team has a lot of #3 receivers, but not a #1 or even a #2.

TE, you can’t do any better, I was absolutely thrilled. The top 2 FA TEs, and both VERY productive. The offense will run through the TE position.

The tight ends will make a huge difference. Look at the difference between 2009 and 2010, and we downgraded moss to branch. Smith /henry arent gronknandez 2011 onwards but could be comparable to the 2010 gronknandez. And this time the wr are upgraded too.

Agular and Bourne are not much of any better then what we had last year. Bb proves he can not evaluate receivers yet again.

smith and Henry, if they are walking upright and breathing, are better than stumble and fumble that we drafted last year.

we need to draft two wide receivers. To be a future number 1 and number 2.
That’s definitely not true on the first point. I don’t know what to expect from either guy but they are easily a significant upgrade from any receiver we had not named Meyers. I don’t even know what we have with Jakobi but while the rest of our receivers were hot garbage he was very productive by comparison.

************, that’s twice in the same thread....

His name is AGHOLOR, not Agular.

Also, if you’ve actually watched Bourne and see Harry, you may have unfortunately developed early-onset cataracts, because that is a terrible comparison...and by terrible I mean really awful.

RB: right now it's a downgrade only because Harris/Michel/JJ Taylor are unproven. But as I've said in other threads, I don't mind White leaving as he vultures away too many touches from Harris or Michel who could provide bigger plays and get away from the gimmicks.
TE: obviously night and day better. Bill got the two best on the market.
WR: Better than before, but still needs improvement. Need an Alpha Dog WR.
You are completely ignoring White’s ability to consistently make plays to convert 3rd downs and move the chains. Like Kevin Faulk it’s not his cumulative numbers that matter, it’s the importance of the plays he makes to keep drives alive so they score. If Harris and Michel had that ability White would be redundant, as it is he isn’t redundant he’s a necessity.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back