PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How much does this SB loss damage Peyton Manning's legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: After last night...

Player - Reg% - Play% - SB - 1&D - 4QC - GWD
Brady - 77.5 - 69.2 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 6

All the numbers to the right of the Regular Season winning % are playoff numbers, SB wins, One % Dones, 4th Quarter comebacks and game winning drives. Feel free to fix any mistakes. I rushed it.

I have only checked Brady's numbers on 4QC and GWD but according to Pro-Football Reference he has 4 of the former and 7 of the latter.

96e80739aa04dd8813f95ff71cac1e44

Peyton appears after Rex Grossman in joint 29th place with just 1 GWD along with 41 others

My assessment of Brady, Manning, Montana, others and the GOAT topic is not about what misperceptions people may have but about the reality.
I don't care if a lot of people thought Manning was going to win the SB and elevated him in their mind as if he did, because that's not reality.

What some people say and what would be if a game yet to be played went a certain way are not relevant.
Manning's career is not different because you heard some people overrate him.

Again, who cares.

Once again, I'm not talking about what an uninformed person thinks.
Winning 4 SBs and making it to 2 others is better than winning 4 SBs and losing in an earlier round. That is simple a fact, and it is indisputable. I could care less about the opinion of someone who thinks it is a better accomplishment to lose a playoff game than to win one then lose the next.

I'm not sure what this has to do with my comments.

Well your brother is either playing with you or just doesn't understand the topic. Again, his opinion means nothing to me in assessing these 2 QBs.

My apology Andy, I thought the topic was Manning's legacy, not your opinion of it. From now on I will try to tailor my comments to what you think.

Meh. He's a great quarterback and may be considered the best of all time when he is done, but Mr. Brady will have something to say about that. As far as legacies go, I'll risk acting like a 1960s hippy chick sticking flowers in the barrels of rifles and link to this:

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_25077270/dear-mr-manning

My apology Andy, I thought the topic was Manning's legacy, not your opinion of it. From now on I will try to tailor my comments to what you think.

So you want to have a discussion on what you think other people think and why you think they think that?
No wonder this is a clusterfukc.

I am telling you my view of Manning's legacy, I assumed you were telling me yours.
Should we discuss how we think Vladimir Putin views Manning and what factors we think we would take into account?

And yes that is me doubling down are you smart azz response.

So you want to have a discussion on what you think other people think and why you think they think that?

I am telling you my view of Manning's legacy, I assumed you were telling me yours.
Should we discuss how we think Vladimir Putin views Manning and what factors we think we would take into account?

I think Brady is the GOAT already but i think it will take more than what he has done to convince the majority of people that is the case, and yes, a legacy goes beyond what you or I think about and to the general perception of it. I am sure there are some that believe Favre is the GOAT but that doesn't make it a realistic consideration. For most Manning was in the GOAT debate and my point in this thread is that is where the damage of that Super Bowl comes into play. He will still be considered an all time great by most but those clinging to the argument that he is the GOAT had their argument cut out from under them with that Super Bowl. IF Manning somehow wins the next 2 Super Bowls and plays great in them he will most likely enter back into that discussion but if he doesn't win another one then he will most likely go down as a great regular season QB who couldn't win the big games.

S=

Then you took issue with my posts without actually reading them because I was clearly talking about how he is perceived on the larger scale, not by me, I didn't think he should have been in the GOAT debate to begin with.

I believe that Vladimir Putin could not care less about Manning and his putative legacy.

Your opinion?

I believe that Vladimir Putin could not care less about Manning and his putative legacy.

Your opinion?

The only thing good old Vlad cared about was stealing Robert Kraft's superbowl ring...:rofl:

I don't know why Kraft listened to whoever it was from the government said it was best not to say anything. I would have exposed him for what he is. Heck I would have jumped Putin right there and demand to have my ring back. I'm sure Putin would have kicked Kraft's ass but I'd done it anyways!

Then you took issue with my posts without actually reading them because I was clearly talking about how he is perceived on the larger scale, not by me, I didn't think he should have been in the GOAT debate to begin with.
When did I 'take issue with your posts'?
I explained my position and where it differed from the one you were offering.

When picking the all time greatest QB; Brady and Montana are discussed with logic and reasoning. Any other QB's name that is offered comes with an excuse as to why they should be considered.

FunfKopf is the Greatest Regular-Season Stat-Compiler in NFL history...
and not one scintilla more than that.

Whoop-de-damn-doo.

Again, it doesn't change much. He is still one of the all time greats. And we won't really know the answer to this until his career is over. If he comes back next year and wins a Super Bowl then it changes his legacy again.

Here's his FUTURE legacy.....

837522-ian.jpg

my offensive line left me on the street to starve....

His legacy in his last 2 super bowls consists of given his own team a net of 9 points. He is responsible for 25 points given to his own team and 16 points given to the opposition through 2 interception return tds and a safety. That among other things make him unworthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Montana, Brady, Graham, Unitas.

I have only checked Brady's numbers on 4QC and GWD but according to Pro-Football Reference he has 4 of the former and 7 of the latter.

96e80739aa04dd8813f95ff71cac1e44

Peyton appears after Rex Grossman in joint 29th place with just 1 GWD along with 41 others

Thanks for the fix. Brady has added to his lead again.

Those are the kind of numbers that get ignored whenever P6's boosters start crowing about his greatness.

How many times do we hear that Peyton Manning is the greatest regular season QB of all time, even though his winning % is worse than a few other QBs, including Brady? What are those people watching?

Again, it doesn't change much. He is still one of the all time greats. And we won't really know the answer to this until his career is over. If he comes back next year and wins a Super Bowl then it changes his legacy again.

He took the greatest regular season offense of all time into the playoffs and led them to 58 points in 3 playoff games, 19 points per game below their average

He took that same GOAT offense to the playoffs and scored 1 point less than the injury riddled Pats offense scored in 2 games.

He added another loss in a big game.

He had another playoff game with multiple interceptions.

He threw another pick six.

So, yes, I have to agree. Nothing much changed. ;)

Manning has won't a Super Bowl since 2006 and the Broncos haven't won a Super Bowl since 1998; fun fact.

Just came back from Broncos forum,they also have a very long Manning legacy thread with all kind of sorry excuse they're making for him:singing:

I spent some time lurking at orangemane this morning as well. These internet forums are entertaining to say the least.

I spent some time lurking at orangemane this morning as well. These internet forums are entertaining to say the least.

Over 14,000 views on this thread, thus I feel it's ok to post again. I need to amend my last post regarding excuses when looking beyond Montana and Brady as the greatest eva. The one excuse that is relevant are great qb's from different eras. Unitas or Grahm was referenced from Jetsuck. How tough were those guys playing under the rules of that day. If one considers those players than Manning falls even lower in ranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back