PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many picks will NE keep in the first two rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I say only two.

One will be moved on to next year in the form of a first round choice. The other one will be either used to trade for a player, such as Peppers (rather unlikely at this stage, however) or packaged on to an upgraded pick in 2010 as well. Perhaps it will be used to move up on this year's draft.

But I think BB will keep only a first rounder, one second rounder, and two third rounders. I'd be surprised if he hangs on to more than that for the 2009 draft. I just don't think there are enough roster spots available right now, and the draft is really deep.

I also believe that the two day one picks which are retained will be used for an OT and a linebacker, in whatever order.

I say only two.

One will be moved on to next year in the form of a first round choice. The other one will be either used to trade for a player, such as Peppers (rather unlikely at this stage, however) or packaged on to an upgraded pick in 2010 as well. Perhaps it will be used to move up on this year's draft.

But I think BB will keep only a first rounder, one second rounder, and two third rounders. I'd be surprised if he hangs on to more than that for the 2009 draft. I just don't think there are enough roster spots available right now, and the draft is really deep.

I also believe that the two day one picks which are retained will be used for an OT and a linebacker, in whatever order.

Look, I see where you're getting at, but you're automatically assuming any draft pick would make the roster. Competition is where it's at, so while Belichick will obviously be wheeling and dealing all weekend, I'd expect the team to retain probaby 7-9 picks, with the magic number being 8.

As to answer your question... I think the Pats will make three of the first four. I think the could trade 23 and 47 to move up, then push 34 into a first next year, leaving the Pats with only 2 first day picks, but I'd expect that the Patriots will probably only move one pick.

If the Pats only keep two, their asking for the same depth issues that has plagued them for the last 4 years. While trading for future picks is good, the Pats need to cut that out until they fill some glaring needs at LB. I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of them trading away picks for the future while watching their depth suffer during the regular season. I think they should keep all four picks unless one of them goes for Peppers.

If the Pats only keep two, their asking for the same depth issues that has plagued them for the last 4 years. While trading for future picks is good, the Pats need to cut that out until they fill some glaring needs at LB. I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of them trading away picks for the future while watching their depth suffer during the regular season. I think they should keep all four picks unless one of them goes for Peppers.

I understand your point, but isn't this year different given all the free agent "depth" acquisitions? I just think the team has accomplished via free agency, a good deal of what they normally accomplish via the draft.

The team will still have their full complement of later round picks for depth-filling and special teams. If there is a good year to move picks on, this might be it. It is a good deep draft, but it has been a very successful offseason as well.

I understand your point, but isn't this year different given all the free agent "depth" acquisitions? I just think the team has accomplished via free agency, a good deal of what they normally accomplish via the draft.

The team will still have their full complement of later round picks for depth-filling and special teams. If there is a good year to move picks on, this might be it. It is a good deep draft, but it has been a very successful offseason as well.

Cosigned :yeahthat:

Look, I see where you're getting at, but you're automatically assuming any draft pick would make the roster. Competition is where it's at, so while Belichick will obviously be wheeling and dealing all weekend, I'd expect the team to retain probaby 7-9 picks, with the magic number being 8.

As to answer your question... I think the Pats will make three of the first four. I think the could trade 23 and 47 to move up, then push 34 into a first next year, leaving the Pats with only 2 first day picks, but I'd expect that the Patriots will probably only move one pick.
I think you are more on track with 8....no way will they keep all 11....and I would somehow be a bit surprised by only 6 or 7...but that I think less than 8 is more possible than double digits. It all depends on who is there when they are picking...a few places up and such. For first day...I think 3..but again it all depends on what they are looking for value wise. I do like them trading for next year if they can have a better pick...within reason. This is a solid draft and I really think a lot of talent will be brought in.

I would like 5 !!

trade #23 and #58 to the Cardinals for #31 #63 and #95

trade #89 (3a) and #95 (3b) #124 (4) to the Vikings for #54

trade #31 and #63 and #199 to the Browns for #36 and #50​

Draft is now: 34, 36, 47, 50, 54, 97(c), 170 (c), 207(c), 234

S. Smith/Barwin/Cushing/Sintim/Robiske/Unger/Gilbert/Chung/Brace/Meredith/White ??

Who do you like? Chances are you can have 5 of the 11 of them with the top 5 picks. No 1st round pick money issues... 3 picks folded up into more top end picks....

This is the sort of thing to expect. Not a trade up to #3 to take Curry...

Last edited:
I would like 5 !!

trade #23 and #58 to the Cardinals for #31 #63 and #95

trade #89 (3a) and #95 (3b) #124 (4) to the Vikings for #54

trade #31 and #63 and #199 to the Browns for #36 and #50​

Draft is now: 34, 36, 47, 50, 54, 97(c), 170 (c), 207(c), 234

S. Smith/Barwin/Cushing/Sintim/Robiske/Unger/Gilbert/Chung/Brace/Meredith/White ??

Who do you like? Chances are you can have 5 of the 11 of them with the top 5 picks. No 1st round pick money issues... 3 picks folded up into more top end picks....

This is the sort of thing to expect. Not a trade up to #3 to take Curry...

Wayyy to complicatedd. A first rounder at #23 would not be as expensive as you probably think. Why would we even want Five second rounders? I think your expectations are a little low. I would much rather keep what we have than add a few extra seconds. I would take Curry and any combo of the two second rounders we have than draft a bunch of wildcards in the second. You get the "safest", best player in the draft along with two high upside guys in the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes