PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many of you want just one more to savor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always want to see my teams win a championship - Be it the Celtics (17x), Patriots (XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX), Red Sox (2004 and 2007), Bruins (1970 and 1972), Rensselear Hockey (1985), Oregon Ducks Football (for my Daughter - 2011), Kansas Jayhawks Basketball (2008) ........

This is a career for me.

I remember one day in February 2005 getting into the shower and thinking to myself that after 3 championships in 4 years that it was going to be a great next few years as we three-peated and won an ungodly amount of championships. I would have bet my life then and there that Peyton Manning or his stupid little brother would never even see a Superbowl let alone win one. I thought it would last forever, why wouldn't it?

I know as far as being a fan, I will never take it for granted again. I promise, just one more guys. I just want to get this bad taste from 2007 out of my mouth.

Great thread. Thanks.

I see the beginning of wisdom for many in these comments.

As someone who has known some of the darkest days of this franchise and who is a bit of a student of NFL history, I think I always understood how remarkable 2001, 03, 04, as well 06 and 07 were and tried to point it out to folks when it seemed they thought that every year would bring another.

Five trips to the conference championship, four to the SB and three rings in seven years! Of course, nothing can ever take away the feelings we shared when Tyree made his catch and we just kind of knew that a TD and loss were now inevitable. But, still, it was a run that people will still be talking about 25 years from now.

I'm starting to feel that this might be another special year; all the more special because so few of us (and my hat is off to those of you who saw it coming!) predicted it.

I think that Bob Kraft has it right when he sets the objective for the organization that the team will be "competitive" for the playoffs every year. He knows how precious SB's are and that saying (like Dan Snyder and Wrecks Cryin') that you're going to win the SB every year is nonsense.

Anyway, a little perspective for those who still need it. In the history of the SB era:

Franchises with six or more SB appearances: Cowboys (8), Steelers (7), Patriots and Broncos (6). That's it. 44 years, 88 "slots" in the big game and those four teams have filled 27 of them (over 30%)!

First, to answer the question: yes, one more this year. But in truth, I think this team will win even > 1 over the next 5 years.

If we look back at the other great dynasties, I don't think any of them were as close to winning so many in one decade as this team:

- 2002: SB champ 1

- 2003: missed playoffs on tiebreaker, Brady shoulder injury, team still building

- 2004: SB champ 2, dominant 14-2

- 2005: SB champ 3, dominant 14-2

- 2006: lost at Denver in divisional round. Were controlling the game until a horrid PI call against Assante, then the crazy 100 yd int return & Watson play. Mediocre Pitt team beats Seahawks in SB. Had we gotten past Denver, very good chance we would have won that year.

- 2007: lost AFCC at Indy, who then beat a poor Bears team in the SB. Definitely should have beaten Indy, an amazing number of calls and luck went against us in the 2nd half. That one should be on the Patriots mantle without question.

- 2008: lost SB to Giants after going 18-0. Again, Gods not on our side, another trophy that should definitely have NE engraved on it. So at this point, should have had either 6 straight, or at least 5 of the past 6.

- 2009: went 11-5 under Cassell, missed playoffs on tiebreaker - 1st time in 30 years an 11-5 team missed the playoffs. Eventual SB winner is a good Steelers team over Ariz. This one is less clear than the previous 3 years, but if Brady isn't on IR, I think NE wins that year. Also, they were playing very well at year's end under Cassell and had a decent chance had they qualified (which they should have).

- 2010: lost in wildcard round to Ravens. Brady's first season back after surgery, team not playing well at end of season. Wouldn't have beaten the Saints even if by some miracle they made it to the SB.

So we should already have 5 or 6 championships if not for insanely bad fortune. And now we're loaded up and ready to take no prisoners. This young team over the next few seasons will avenge and win at least a couple of more, making it at least 5 total over a 12-13 year span.

After everything we've been through between 2007, Brady's injury, spygate, all the hoopla...I completely agree with the OP, IF we win another ring, it will feel like the first one all over again.

And while I know nothing ever beats the first ring, in some ways, there will be a satisfaction that might even trump SB36.

IF we ever get there again. I don't take that for granted. We may look great now, but we could get knocked out in the AFCDG and you can't be shocked - its football, any given Sunday

Last edited:
I want them to win 3 of the next 4, or at least 2 of the next 4

I want us to win the Super Bowl every year. I'd love to see us get to 5 so TFB had more than any other QB.

But I'm just tryin to enjoy watching TFB play right now, cuz a player like that is very VERY rare. To have him playing for my favorite team on the planet is a blessing from the football Gods.

I want us to win the Super Bowl every year. I'd love to see us get to 5 so TFB had more than any other QB.

But I'm just tryin to enjoy watching TFB play right now, cuz a player like that is very VERY rare. To have him playing for my favorite team on the planet is a blessing from the football Gods.

Like someone else said, I want a SB just to get all the Spygate BS to go away, or at least be silenced. It would also be great to be the team of the decade again :D. Also, a 4th SB title would give us the 4th most titles (Steelers, Cowboys, Niners with 6, 5, and 5 respectively). It would also give us the 2nd most appearances (Tied with Squeelers). So we could at least shut some other fans up (Giants for example).

I remember one day in February 2005 getting into the shower and thinking to myself that after 3 championships in 4 years that it was going to be a great next few years as we three-peated and won an ungodly amount of championships. I would have bet my life then and there that Peyton Manning or his stupid little brother would never even see a Superbowl let alone win one. I thought it would last forever, why wouldn't it?

Now after the heartbreak of 2006 and the even more devastating heartbreak of 2007 and seeing Brady hurt in 2008 and the playoffs of last year I have come to realize just how special even 1 championship is. I realize now what we had back then. And I want it back, even just 1, just 1 more to really savor, like that last M&M in the bag.

I heard Parcells say something similar in his documentary, and Brady has as well, the next one is always the best one.

I know as far as being a fan, I will never take it for granted again. I promise, just one more guys. I just want to get this bad taste from 2007 out of my mouth.
2001 was great for multiple reasons. First of all it was such a surprise; after Bledsoe got hurt I figured the Pats were about a three-win team. The first championship was so unexpected; it finally put to rest the disappointment of the two previous SB defeats, the Ben Dreith game, and the fiascos of the one and two win seasons.

2003 was nice because it shut people up about 2001 being a fluke. 2004 was sweet because back-to-back and three in four years was something that nobody thought could happen with the combination of free agency and the salary cap.

After that I figured anything else was just gravy. With 32 teams in the league, a fan would on average see three championships in his whole lifetime. However after SB42 and all the idiots that keep repeating "what have they won since then" in some ridiculous attempt to discredit those seasons, one more would be very nice to savor.

This season has been great because just like 2001, it has been so unexpected. I'm enjoying each game, each win, more than any in recent history - maybe even ever. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, maybe getting a little but greedy - but yes, I agree: I want to savor one more championship too.

I'm greedy.... I'll take the pats owing the next decade like they owned the 2000-2009 decade...

I'm greedy i want at least two more before Brady retires and i think its possible.

Totally agree -- why just ONE more? And who in their wildest dreams going into the season thought this team had a shot at the Super Bowl? I thought we were two years away from another serious run and had my sights set on 2012. But if we steal one this year, I think we come back even stronger next year and the year after! :rocker:

Im not greedy. Like the opening poster i would really just love one more to savour, especially with TFB pulling the strings at QB.

however if/when that one more arrives i will then move onto, Just one more to savour.

It will always be one more to savour regardless of how many we win in my lifetime.

The great thing is i think BB anf TFB share that burning desire for just one more each and every year.

living in the dallas area now i need a few more for bragging rights.

I'm greedy.... I'll take the pats owing the next decade like they owned the 2000-2009 decade...
I want the Patriots to win it every single year. You can never get tired of winning championships.

That's not greed but reality. Everything in life is a competition and nobody likes coming second.

Given the position Belichick has put this young side into and the amount of picks rectifying 2007 may be possible in the near future. The Patriots are damn scary for what they could be in the coming years.

Last edited:
Totally agree -- why just ONE more? And who in their wildest dreams going into the season thought this team had a shot at the Super Bowl? I thought we were two years away from another serious run and had my sights set on 2012. But if we steal one this year, I think we come back even stronger next year and the year after! :rocker:
I Never thought this years team had a shot, i thought Next years would. But i really do believe they have a chance this year. At this Moment i don't see a team that is Better, or playing Better. But the Feb. 7th is still a ways off.

Last edited:

Now after the heartbreak of 2006 and the even more devastating heartbreak of 2007 and seeing Brady hurt in 2008 and the playoffs of last year I have come to realize just how special even 1 championship is. I realize now what we had back then. And I want it back, even just 1, just 1 more to really savor, like that last M&M in the bag.

I heard Parcells say something similar in his documentary, and Brady has as well, the next one is always the best one.

Me too, I think what makes it harder than say seeing Celtics lose a game 7 to LA (hurt bad after spending cash for game 5 and seeing the city of Boston go nuts) and Sox lose a game 7 to TB (thought it was destiny but didn't happen) is that in NFL it is one Sunday, if we lose the first day it is all over, and you have to wait another year not only through 16 games of doubt but then hoping they can at least avenge that loss.

That is why I am going crazy waiting for the playoffs, I really want to see Baltimore play against anyone just seeing them lose will ease the pain but if we make it I hope that we don't become lost like in 07, I mean how the hell did we lose that game? It is crazy to know we went 18 straight but lost to Tyree's lucky catch, but even then we played horribly. :bricks:

Couldn't agree more. We need to take back what we left on the field in '07!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back