PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How is the interior OL doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah

Degeneracy Expert
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We all know about Cannon's transformation by now, and it's similarly trendy to talk about Solder's solid play this year. However, I almost never see anyone talk about the other 60% of the line: Thuney, Andrews, and Mason.

Thuney was getting all sorts of love in TC and the preseason, but I personally haven't heard anything about him except updates on his streak of not missing a snap, as well as the occasional penalty. The fact that he plays start to finish means he hasn't been benched, but he also never gets singled out for good play like the tackles have been all year. Is this a product of us taking him for granted already and just being more surprised by the tackles playing well and thus more likely to talk about it, or has he cooled down?

Some have noticed Andrews getting bullied by strong DTs (a continuing trend from 2015, although he was an undrafted rookie). I notice this too at times, but he at the very least doesn't seem like a liability. Maybe/definitely possible to upgrade, but he seems real solid.

Although the premise of this thread is that the interior OL has been forgotten, Shaq Mason has been even more forgotten than the other 2 guys it seems. Last year there was all this talk of him being an amazing run blocker but flawed in pass protection, as well as the raw talent he possesses. Has some of this talent actualized this year, or nah? No one ever talks about him anymore, but he has been the unquestioned starter for most of the season.

I've never played football on a serious level, and I think assessing line play is one thing you're especially useless at doing without actual experience, so I look forward to hearing opinions of actual value on this.

When people aren't talking about IOL it means they are doing their job.

Thuney's been good, yes he seems to get a penalty or two a game but I chalk that up to a Rookie starting at LG. Andrews has been good enough. Mason has definitely made progress in pass protection.

In fact and yes I know it's ****ty PFF but Mason was one of their top 10 players from this week. According to them he didn't allow a single pressure in the 48 snaps in pass protection and Blount's success running the ball came running to the right.

Just wondering how the IOL is playing well PFF gave Aaron Donald his lowest rating of the season. So whatever game plan they had against by far the best DT in the league the IOL executed it.

Just posted in the non Brady MVP thread about Thuney, Andrews and Mason. I thought these guys were going to be a major issue and I've been pleasantly surprised by all 3, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes