PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How is it decided who plays in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogansArmy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Noticed that the rest of the AFC East plays in London this year but we don't have to (thank god), so was just curious how it's decided and how we were lucky enough to get out of it (if its decided by division that is).

I think we were supposed to but the British didn't want to see the Patriots firing muskets in London. Too many bad memories.

but we don't have to (thank god)

I really don't understand the feeling of angst inside fans minds regarding away games in London. Do these same feelings pop up when the team travels to San Diego...a destination 200 miles further away than London. Is it the idea that the fan's team must fly over an ocean that creates the need to "thank god" when the team can avoid playing in London. Is it the possibility that the Patriots might lose a home game some time in the future?

I really don't understand the feeling of angst inside fans minds regarding away games in London. Do these same feelings pop up when the team travels to San Diego...a destination 200 miles further away than London. Is it the idea that the fan's team must fly over an ocean that creates the need to "thank god" when the team can avoid playing in London. Is it the possibility that the Patriots might lose a home game some time in the future?
Losing a home game is a part of it. The other is that London is further than the West Coast and has a 5 hour time difference from the East Coast. The bigger the time difference, the more severe jet lag is. Imagine the effect it would have on teams traveling from the West coast? It can take some people days to recover from jet lag from a 3 hour difference, nevermind a 5-8 hour difference.

Is it the possibility that the Patriots might lose a home game some time in the future?
That's mostly it for me but I believe they've been the "away" team for both their games there so far. They have, however, been playing against cupcakes in London (Rams, Bucs) who they've outscored 80-14.

I think we were supposed to but the British didn't want to see the Patriots firing muskets in London. Too many bad memories.
Maybe they took offense at the Queen's Guard being called Nutcracker Dudes.

Losing a home game is a part of it. The other is that London is further than the West Coast and has a 5 hour time difference from the East Coast. The bigger the time difference, the more severe jet lag is. Imagine the effect it would have on teams traveling from the West coast? It can take some people days to recover from jet lag from a 3 hour difference, nevermind a 5-8 hour difference.
Which is why teams that travel there have a bye the next week.

Which is why teams that travel there have a bye the next week.
It still affects focus and concentration for the week of preparation, diminishing the positive effect of the bye. Jet lag can wipe people out for days.

It still affects focus and concentration for the week of preparation, diminishing the positive effect of the bye. Jet lag can wipe people out for days.
Understood. Believe me, I'm not fan of playing NFL games over seas but having 14 days to get ready for your next game should be enough.

Understood. Believe me, I'm not fan of playing NFL games over seas but having 14 days to get ready for your next game should be enough.

I wonder what the combined record is for all teams following their game in London. That should maybe tell us if there is an effect or not. Or maybe it means nothing.

Actually, yeah.

Except in London's case, you're talking about 4 time zones instead of three. Regardless, I feel exactly the same when the Patriots go to the West Coast. Hell, I hate when they go to Denver, and that's only 2 time zones. That's the farthest they go this year, and it's only the one time. It's an advantage.

Noticed that the rest of the AFC East plays in London this year but we don't have to (thank god), so was just curious how it's decided and how we were lucky enough to get out of it (if its decided by division that is).

On the original question, I think it's really the owners and teams that "volunteer " to do it. I put that in quotes because I'm sure in some ways it's like how it was "voluntary" for Brady to give up his cell phone to Wells.

The Pats went there twice because Kraft wanted a show of good faith since he is one of the main proponents of a team in London to begin with. But he wasn't willing to give up a home game due to all of its revenues -- generally the "home teams" have been the teams that have had issues selling their own stadiums since they won't lose out as much comparatively. We played the Bucs and the Rams.

The other is that London is further than the West Coast and has a 5 hour time difference from the East Coast. The bigger the time difference, the more severe jet lag is.

Absolutely, and IMO 3 hours difference is pretty much the cutoff point between doable and seriously disruptive.

England being 5 hours ahead of the East Coast isn't a big deal....at all. You can keep your sleep schedule the same, be ready for the game and avoid jet lag.

As for who gets picked, I believe the "home" team has asked to have a game at Wembley for the last few years.

England being 5 hours ahead of the East Coast isn't a big deal....at all. You can keep your sleep schedule the same and be ready for the game and avoid jet lag.

As for who gets picked, I believe the "home" team has asked to have a game at Wembley for the last few years.
It affects everyone differently, and the greater the time difference, the greater effect.. I used to travel for work, and some guys on my team had little problem with 3 hour jet lat, while others were affected pretty seriously. The body has an internal clock that affects sleeping, the immune system and hormone production. Messing with any of these can have profound effects.

It affects everyone differently, and the greater the time difference, the greater effect.. I used to travel for work, and some guys on my team had little problem with 3 hour jet lat, while others were affected pretty seriously. The body has an internal clock that affects sleeping, the immune system and hormone production. Messing with any of these can have profound effects.

That's why you literally do not change your sleep schedule at all. It's only 5 hours. Instead of 6am practice, it's 11am etc.

Isn't that how the Patriots did it? They kept everything at or as close to Eastern as possible and it resulted in 2 blowouts.

Moving ahead in time zones is also much easier to do than go back, generally.

That's why you literally do not change your sleep schedule at all. It's only 5 hours. Instead of 6am practice, it's 11am etc.

Isn't that how the Patriots did it? They kept everything at or as close to Eastern as possible and it resulted in 2 blowouts.

Moving ahead in time zones is also much easier to do than go back, generally.
If your internal clock was based off of strictly time, you'd have a point. Daylight and other local conditions are major factors in our internal clock. It is these factors being out-of-sync with our internal clocks that is the problem. If it was as simple as you suggest, temporary changes in our normal schedules would have the same effects as jet lag, which is clearly not the case.

I wonder what the combined record is for all teams following their game in London. That should maybe tell us if there is an effect or not. Or maybe it means nothing.

Teams are 12-9-1 after the England Games

2007 Giants L
Dolphins L

2008 Chargers W
Saints L

2009 Pats W
Bucs W

2010 Niners W
Broncos W

2011 Bears W
Bucs L

2012 Pats W
Rams Tied

2013 Niners L
Jags W

Vikes L
Steelers W

2014 Raiders L
Phins L

Lions W
Falcons W

Cowboys W
Jags L

Last edited:
Teams are 13-8-1 after the England Games

2007 Giants L
Dolphins L

2008 Chargers W
Saints W

2009 Pats W
Bucs W

2010 Niners W
Broncos W

2011 Bears W
Bucs L

2012 Pats W
Rams Tied

2013 Niners L
Jags W

Vikes L
Steelers W

2014 Raiders L
Phins L

Lions W
Falcons W

Cowboys W
Jags L

Thanks, that's great research. So obviously no real negative effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes