PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How is it decided who plays in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, that's great research. So obviously no real negative effect.
11 games is not nearly enough of a sample size to make such a determination.

Teams are 12-9-1 after the England Games

2007 Giants L
Dolphins L

2008 Chargers W
Saints L

2009 Pats W
Bucs W

2010 Niners W
Broncos W

2011 Bears W
Bucs L

2012 Pats W
Rams Tied

2013 Niners L
Jags W

Vikes L
Steelers W

2014 Raiders L
Phins L

Lions W
Falcons W

Cowboys W
Jags L
Good info, but it's a small sample size and lacks context because teams tend to win more after a bye anyway. From 09 through 14, teams were 82-75-2
http://www.cheatsheetwarroom.com/fa...tasy-football/nfl/bye-weeks.aspx#.VgqvKnldGUk

Knowing how the NFL works and considering how much they want London games., I wouldn't be surprised if they were purposefully scheduling weak opponents for teams after they play in London. If I get time later, I'll look into the strength of opponents following games in London.

As an interesting aside, IIRC the Pats players have enjoyed the London trip when they've gone. Enough so that Kraft (not entirely jokingly) suggested he'd be willing to make it an annual thing—as long as the Pats were the permanent visiting team.

I was at the last game they were in London for and I have to say it was a lot of fun as a fan. It was also the only game I've been to :).

Good info, but it's a small sample size and lacks context because teams tend to win more after a bye anyway. From 09 through 14, teams were 82-75-2
http://www.cheatsheetwarroom.com/fa...tasy-football/nfl/bye-weeks.aspx#.VgqvKnldGUk

Knowing how the NFL works and considering how much they want London games., I wouldn't be surprised if they were purposefully scheduling weak opponents for teams after they play in London. If I get time later, I'll look into the strength of opponents following games in London.

2007 Giants home vs Dallas(7-1)
Dolphins home vs Buffalo (4-4)

2008 Chargers home vs KC (1-7)
Saints @ Atlanta (5-3)

2009 Pats home vs Miami (3-4)
Bucs Home vs GB (4-3)

2010 Niners home vs StL (4-4)
Broncos home vs KC (5-3)

2011 Bears @Philadlephia(3-5)
Bucs @New Orleans (6-3)

2012 Pats home vs Buffalo (3-5)
Rams @San Fran (6-2)

2013 Niners home vs Carolina (6-3)
Jags @Tennessee (4-4)

Vikes Home vs Carolina(1-3)
Steelers @NY Jets (3-2)

Raiders home SD (4-1)
Phins home vs GB (3-2)

Lions home vs Miami (5-3)
Falcons @TB (1-7)

Cowboys @NY Giants (3-7)
Jags @Indy (6-4)

You'll notice that no West Coast team is ever made this trip. That will mean a eight hour time difference. That is one of the major conundrums regarding locating a team to London

England being 5 hours ahead of the East Coast isn't a big deal....at all. You can keep your sleep schedule the same, be ready for the game and avoid jet lag.

As for who gets picked, I believe the "home" team has asked to have a game at Wembley for the last few years.
Yeah this^

When you have to actually change your schedule to the new time zone you get jet lag. But they're not even doing that. This isn't that big a deal

If they get the Concorde then a team in London will work. Until then it's just a waste of a home game.

Cricket match between the owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick