PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do the Patriots Matchup with the Rams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady threw for 500 yards and still lost last year because the secondary was Swiss cheese. We could not stop them even when it mattered.

It was the same with KC this year, too.

Oh yeah, but that was the year Von Miller injected a coktail of uranium, meth, hgh, and dark matter directly into his heart. That was less Wade Phillip's and more that PED monster that never showed up that dominant again. Along with a pretty incredible secondary. He doesnt have that guy that single handedly took over the offensive lines in the playoffs. Without a guy hopped up on who knows what, when did his D give us trouble?

So what do you think he will do with Donald at his disposal? He's even more of a monster than Miller is...and Miller always lined up offsides. That's how he always got his sacks

When has their o-line ever collapse and allow Brees to get sacked or stripped?

Ahem...
Postseason Offensive Line Rankings
Rush Total Rush Left Rush Center Rush Right
Rk Team Exp Att Yds Avg TDs 1st Neg +10Y Pwr 1st Neg +10Y Pwr 1st Neg +10Y Pwr Sacks QB Hits
1 New England Patriots 37 82 331 4.0 8 6 0 1 33 13 1 5 86 6 2 4 0 0 3

10 New Orleans Saints 30 52 185 3.6 0 4 1 2 -- 1 0 0 100 9 5 4 67 4 11

Source:
National Football League Stats - by Team Category | NFL.com

I think the Pats Defense brings out a very similar game to that they used on the Chargers. They were also a 3 WR based offense with a questionable RB situation. The only difference is their line sucked and LAR have a good line.

I think Jason McCourty gets his snaps back and J. Jones is regulated again to 4th CB duties on long yardage situations. Harmon is back on the field for about half the snaps as they will not use the cover 1 bracket coverage this game and play it more traditional. Probably more man with cover two where safety help is given over the top to both sides as opposed to many zero blitzs or brackets.

Cooks and Woods are good but they aren't Hill. BB won't go to such lengths to remove either one of them from the game at the expense of everything else.

We've gone pretty much 1 DT 3 DEs against SD and I think we do something similar this time around too. More Simon, Clayborn and Rivers. Less Brown and Shelton.

The DL will pretty much be Flowers along with a rotation of Guy, Butler, Clayborn, Simon and Rivers. With just a little Brown/Shleton for short yardage situations.

If they prove they can run on us maybe we use more heavy DTs. But this same DL has pretty much contained the run of of the last 2 opponents we've faced. That did include a bad SD but also a pretty damn capable KC one. While losing Hunt hurt KC in the passing game their running game marched right along. I don't see why the Pats would feel the need to change what is working until it's proven it doesn't work.

On the DB end I think you put could argue any match up you want. I would personally put Gilmore on Woods cause i think he is a tad bit Slower than Cooks which would make it less painful when he loses a few snaps to him. On Cooks probably McCourty with help. I would rather have JCJ on Reynolds who is a bigger target. Also I think McCourty has more pure speed than JCJ but I could be wrong about that.

As far as their RBs or TEs I'm not worried unless Gurley is healthy. They will get a play here or there but it shouldn't be sustainable.

So what do you think he will do with Donald at his disposal? He's even more of a monster than Miller is...and Miller always lined up offsides. That's how he always got his sacks

You think that Donald is playing bette than Miller was in the Post Season that year. I watchted that dude single handedly take over every game. Rams at the bottom of the league in sacks, Chiefs were #1. I don't think QB pressure is going to be a huge issue in this game. BB will take him away.

Donald and Suh are what really worries me.... How we deal with interior Rush will be key to the game

Run, run, run the ball. The Ram's run defense has been meh. Tire them out, then pass, pass, pass the ball. Rams are one of the worst play action teams in the league.

I think the pats can use a lot more end around runs this game to counter the interior strength of the rams dL. More Patterson fly/pass/runs, more white screen passes, more Edelman end around, and even some white or michel (maybe) toss sweeps. Those then set up a combo of inside counter runs and off tackle inside runs out of fake end arounds. Like kc, rams can’t cover all the running gaps at once. And I don’t think the rams lbs are as effective containing the outside runs as kc was. I think that the pats can stress their dl by mixing up a lot of the gaps they’re attacking.

Run, run, run the ball. The Ram's run defense has been meh. Tire them out, then pass, pass, pass the ball. Rams are one of the worst play action teams in the league.
That’s what we did to the falcons. Their D line was too gassed to stop us in overtime. That’s what happened in the Alabama va Clemson game 2 years ago. Alabama was too gassed to stop Deshaun Watson

Good is an understatement. They've been absolutely dominant.
Against strong defensive fronts. Improvement in the trenches has been remarkable. I don't see anyone playing better.

Rams scored in the 50s on that Chiefs defense.
How tired was the Pats defense in the 4th quarter. Giving up all those points was not an encouraging trend.

Rams scored in the 50s on that Chiefs defense.
How tired was the Pats defense in the 4th quarter. Giving up all those points was not an encouraging trend.
Patriots aren’t getting 40+ dropped on them. They have a running game to control the clock now, and Cooks/Woods/whoever is a lot worse than Hill/Kelce/Watkins

What does Brady & co do if the Rams decide to go man? Chiefs kept playing that stupid zone and Brady feasts on that. Also, is this year's D more equipped to handle a better offense than they faced last year (When Foles went off)?

We made most of our crucial plays against man coverage.

Since week 11, vs runs from 11 personnel, the Patriots run defense has allowed:

• 61% success rate (NFL worst)
• 6.8 YPC (NFL worst)

No team runs more from 11 than the Rams.

Definitely not good stats for us here:

Since week 11, vs runs from 11 personnel, the Patriots run defense has allowed:

• 61% success rate (NFL worst)
• 6.8 YPC (NFL worst)

No team runs more from 11 than the Rams.
You should have posted the link (like I did at the same time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST