PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do the Patriots Matchup with the Rams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thoughts to all my fellow Pats fans:

I think Rams have the best secondary they'll go against this year...I think Talib on Gronk is a concern because the refs will let him get away with holding.

I think Rams have the best D line they'll go against this year and concerned about about wreaking havoc with a 4 man rush

Wade Phillips D vs Brady will or should be a big storyline. I think last time they met in playoffs was the Denver game. I think he's a great coordinator and has plenty experience going against the Patriots.

How much can Cooks help them with Pats intel??

was surprised to see that the Rams are 23rd against the run. giving up 5.1 yards per carry. Have to think the pats will use the run to set up the pass against this defense if that is the case. and play keep-away from Goff

also, Kamara killed the Rams in the passing game. Think that bodes well for James white/burkhead out of the backfield.

Its a game that should very much mirror what we did last 2 games..run hard, run often.

With Gurley struggling with injury their offense is now limited. I expect we will hear how great Gurley looks these next 2 weeks ..but dont buy it. His usage has caught up to him this season.

The trenches will decide the champion and the way our offensiveline and defensive line have suddenly elevated their game ..you have to feel good going into it.

Gotta run to slow down that pass rush. Set up play action. Utilize white in the passing game. Our ol is miles ahead of the ol wade phillips went against in 2015 and just shut down a fierce kc pass rush. Gronk and the wrs could be a concern jmd will need to get creative in the passing game and do the above.

Rams are loaded offensively. Woods and Cooks can take the top off any D. Their TE is a stud too. Obviously they got Gurley and an all pro line. Patriots defense are facing an offense just as deadly as the Chiefs were.

On defense, they got Talib back. He is one heck of a corner. Got out work cut out for us in Atlanta.

idk. I feel like the chiefs have so many more weapons than the rams. I would put gilmore on woods and double cooks like they did with hill.

Yeah, in some way, I think the Rams offense is very similar to the Chiefs, except the Chiefs have a better QB. Treat Cooks like Hill. Woods like Watkins. Everett like Kelsey, etc.

The Rams CB are much stronger. How are the Ram's LBs? How well do they cover RBs?

Goff seems Bledsoe-like to me (talented, but not a great field general), and BB loved playing Bledsoe. On the biggest stage, I expect he can be defended. There is no questioning the talent the Rams have on both sides of the ball, but the question will be coaching in the highest possible pressure scenario.

Suh, for all his fear factor, has found himself on terrible run defenses. The Rams and Chiefs have about the same lousy Ds in terms of points allowed. A season of results don't lie, and you know BB will be looking at ways to exploit those weaknesses.

The Chargers had a solid O and a much better D than the Rams. The fact the Rams barely won a shootout with the Chiefs in LA suggests they are comparable, but I would take Mahomes over Goff every day of the week.

What scares me is the inside pass rush and therefore interceptions. Patriots will have to control the clock and tempo again.

Yeah, that concerns me. But what gives me reason for optimism there is that the Rams are poor against the run giving up 5.1 yards per carry. In comparison the Cheifs gave up 5yards per carry on the season.

The Chiefs were #1 in the league in sacks at 52 on the season and the pats OL kept brady clean by running it down their throats. Think we use a similar strategy against the Rams. Keep going to the run, have Develin and gronk out there blocking and chipping.

Best way to slow down a pass rush is to get the run going and to be physical at the line.

The Rams defense is mediocre. #20 in points allowed, #19 in yards allowed, #32 (!!!) in yards per rushing attempt given up. Aaron Donald is a monster, but overall the Chiefs had a much stronger pass rush and got way more sacks than the Rams - Suh is a famous name who's a long way from his 2010-2014 prime now.

Their offense is obviously excellent and has some very good playmakers, but it was not not not on the Chiefs level. Goff is a very good QB, but is in no sense a next-level playmaker like Mahomes. He's strictly a pocket passer, and behind all the motion and mis-direction you have a young QB running a scheme that isn't that complex "under the hood" and who still has a lot of his reads spoon-fed to him by his coach before the play clock hits 15 seconds.

I actually rather this matchup. I feel like the Saints would've been more of a harder offense to defend, Brees. Goff just seems like he may not be as ready and experienced. He's not bad, but nothing to really fear either the way our defense has been playing over the last couple weeks.

The toughest offensive matchup for us, we just played and defeated. They are weak and vulnerable against the run. We literally just had two games where we were able to stuff it down defenses throats'. Lets do this.

I expect a similar game plan like they did with Rivers. However, Goff can run if he wants to but he prefers to sit back and pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back