PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do the Patriots Matchup with the Rams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I would be concerned about if I were you is the potential for the Rams pass rush to tee off. The traditional way to beat Brady, when executed of course, is to rush four so you can flood the passing lanes, and hit him....a lot.

However what Brady has this year that is different is the pounding run game. This may keep the defense honest and they will have to play “guess that play” quite a lot. I know Aaron Donald and Co can definitely collapse pocket protection on a pass....but how are they on run defense?

We just overcame three turnovers to outscore Mahomes. And Goff has not impressed in the postseason; he'll need to channel his inner Foles if the Rams are gonna have a chance.

I love this storyline: the league wants to promote the s out of this new wave of offense-minded talent, namely Mahomes and McVay. And the old dog Brady is going to topple them in succession.

I would love to say the Patriots mystique will impact this game, but that is what I thought about Philly making a SB and having to face the SB 51 miracle comeback Pats.

Pats need to run the ball as they have been doing to set up Brady. The D needs to play even better than it has . (and though KC scored 31, the D played impressively mostly)

I feel like if the Pats can get a two score lead in this one we get get our first comfortable Super Bowl winning margin.

Does anyone have an objective breakdown of the strengths and weaknesses of the Rams vs Saints? I’m trying to convince myself that we matchchup better with the Rams than the Saints but I need convincing.

Conventional wisdom would be to use the run game to mitigate a really good Rams pass rush. Their run defense numbers weren't good in the regular season.

BUT... neither were ours, and we've clearly stepped that up in the postseason. This seems to happen every year to me. Running games and bad run defenses just don't translate consistently into the playoffs, especially the Super Bowl. Defenses are so amped, and the Rams definitely have players that can wreak havoc against our running backs.

I'm sure the Pats will identify matchups and schemes that allow them some runs, but don't be surprised if we can't get as much going on the ground as you'd expect.

The Rams offence hasn't been the same since Kupp went down. He was their Edelman, go to guy. Think its much easier to defend now. Cooks is a bad hand catcher - make him go over the middle and grab them out of the air. His best play is the over the shoulder basket catch - need to take that away. Put Gilmore on Woods, who is their best receiver. Try and shut down the run and make Goff beat you because I'm still not certain he can do it. Think we can confuse him with different blitzes.

Same game plan for our offense as against the Chargers. Get the ball out quickly to neutralise Donald. Run at Fowler and use some misdirection to take advantage of their over pursuit. Kamara abused Littleton yesterday. I think White will do the same and have a big game. Talib isn't the same corner as years past and Peters is a gambler and can be done on a double move. I think we can put up points on this team, I really do. Stay balanced and stay out of long yardage and we win the game.

I feel really confident.

The Rams defense is mediocre. #20 in points allowed, #19 in yards allowed, #32 (!!!) in yards per rushing attempt given up. Aaron Donald is a monster, but overall the Chiefs had a much stronger pass rush and got way more sacks than the Rams - Suh is a famous name who's a long way from his 2010-2014 prime now.

Their offense is obviously excellent and has some very good playmakers, but it was not not not on the Chiefs level. Goff is a very good QB, but is in no sense a next-level playmaker like Mahomes. He's strictly a pocket passer, and behind all the motion and mis-direction you have a young QB running a scheme that isn't that complex "under the hood" and who still has a lot of his reads spoon-fed to him by his coach before the play clock hits 15 seconds.
Which means it will be like the Chargers game with a lot of moving around by the Pats' defense at the line of scrimmage when the play clock runs down.....

just another variation of what we've seen the last 2 weeks........however, the last 2 teams actually earned the opportunity to play the next game

Goff isn’t as physically talented as mahomes but the rams have a better defense.

One interesting thing is that Belichick knows Cooks (from last year) and Woods (from his years in Buffalo) really well. We may not make the plays on them butt but it won't be for a lack of intimate knowledge of their strengths and weaknesses.

The Rams are largely a 3 WR team which plays to our CB strength. Their TE make big plays here and there but their talent and usage isn't comparable to Kelce.

On offense Edelman should be a tough matchup for them as Talib and Peters (the latter has been bad this year anyway) aren't short quick twitch types. Shutting down a stud like Thomas is one thing - shutting down Edelman, whose skillet is very different than Thomas', is a totally different game.

Last edited:
Personally, I have had my kids and would be willing to give my left nut for a Patriots blow out. I really would do it.

Do the rams play more zone or man?

The Rams D is a bit better than the numbers show. Talib missed time and is healthy and looks good. Suh was awful to start the year but has been coming on a bit. Their YPC allowed is inflated due to teams getting cheap yardage in pass situations.

The Pats D is playing better than their season numbers, same with the Rams. They did a decent job shutting down the Saints yesterday. That said, the Rams are vulnerable to TE and RB. If they put Talib on Gronk, Hogan or Edelman should be able to find openings. White/Burkhead will be key in the pass game

The key will be running and screens. The Rama love to get upfield and you can exploit that with misdirection and creativity. Not sure how the Rams can take White out without leaving someone else free

The Rams offence hasn't been the same since Kupp went down. He was their Edelman, go to guy. Think its much easier to defend now. Cooks is a bad hand catcher - make him go over the middle and grab them out of the air. His best play is the over the shoulder basket catch - need to take that away. Put Gilmore on Woods, who is their best receiver. Try and shut down the run and make Goff beat you because I'm still not certain he can do it. Think we can confuse him with different blitzes.

Same game plan for our offense as against the Chargers. Get the ball out quickly to neutralise Donald. Run at Fowler and use some misdirection to take advantage of their over pursuit. Kamara abused Littleton yesterday. I think White will do the same and have a big game. Talib isn't the same corner as years past and Peters is a gambler and can be done on a double move. I think we can put up points on this team, I really do. Stay balanced and stay out of long yardage and we win the game.

I feel really confident.

Nice analysis!

Couple of things...

That game wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Phantom DPI, called back fumble on another bad penalty, and a pair of egregious pick plays...all in the second half, made it close.

The Rams offense was incredible at the beginning of the year because Gurley was unstoppable. And that left Cooks 1-1 all the time, which is a formula for long bombs. Gurley hasn't been the same of late - hopefully, the week off won't get him back to that point.

Mahomes > Goff. A lot.

Rams D is good, very good, but so is the Chief's D in Arrowhead.

It's a SB, so weird things will happen, no doubt. The key is the interior of NE's OL.

Has Talib lost a step since his prime of 2013-15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes