PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How Can the Pats Stop the Ravens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know their OL pretty much mauled the Patriots, but does anyone remember specifically how well he played?
He *****made Shelton one-on-one. He’s a significant loss for them.

Not so much Jackson but their offensive line. They have been relatively free of injuries like some teams that have had to put together patchwork lines... and eventually it catches up to you and we'll see how effective it is when they have to put backups out there....

Their center is out for the year.

I love the analogy. My own internal analogy has been that the Patriots are like comic book superheroes. They defeat one villain, so the writers have to come up with another villain who is even bigger, badder and more un-defeatable than the last. Then the hero figures out a way to defeat the newest challenge too. But look out! Here comes an ever newer, bigger, badder, more un-defeatable villain than before!! (and so on....)
2018: "Look out! It's Mahomes and his implanted bazooka where his arm used to be! Everybody run for cover before he lights us up!"

2019: "Oh no! It's Flash Jackson with his bionic legs! We're not fast enough to catch him!"

Regards,
Chris

3rd/4th receiving options need to step up, Harry needs to catch those catchables. Absolutely have to score on first drive. Keep it neck and neck or build an early lead. I really think it's on the offense to beat the Ravens. Defense can hold Jackson enough the second time around, but we're not holding them to 10 the whole game. 13 in the first half would be great if we could get up to 17/21.

2018: "Look out! It's Mahomes and his implanted bazooka where his arm used to be! Everybody run for cover before he lights us up!"

2019: "Oh no! It's Flash Jackson with his bionic legs! We're not fast enough to catch him!"

Regards,
Chris

Somewhat of a bad analogy, considering we beat Mahomes twice last season and already lost to Lamar this year (And even then, we still couldn't completely stop Mahomes in the AFCG rematch). In the case of Mahomes, the fear on this board last year may have been a bit over-the-top since we beat once him before the AFCCG. In the case of Lamar, we haven't beaten him yet and frankly didn't look good trying to do so.

Last edited:
Understanding what Baltimore is doing- good case study is the 49ers when the other Harbaugh was in charge and the QB was you-know-who (please don't go there). You can bet one Harbaugh just gave the other his entire playbook:

That’s no straw man. There have been multiple posters in this thread that have started their analysis with “hit him.” That’s ridiculously simplistic and is not as easy as it looks. Those people deserve to be mocked.
I didn’t read the whole thread but I didn’t see anyone arguing that. If they did i don’t know why. Hitting the option QB whether he keeps or pitches is a well accepted piece of defending the option but it doesn’t stop it all by itself. Someone has to be responsible for the QB and someone has to be responsible for the pitch man. Planting the qb leads to him declaring earlier, and can lead to more fumbles, which is why it’s been an widely accepted facet of option defense.

I didn’t read the whole thread but I didn’t see anyone arguing that. If they did i don’t know why. Hitting the option QB whether he keeps or pitches is a well accepted piece of defending the option but it doesn’t stop it all by itself. Someone has to be responsible for the QB and someone has to be responsible for the pitch man. Planting the qb leads to him declaring earlier, and can lead to more fumbles, which is why it’s been an widely accepted facet of option defense.
Starts on page one. Four posts in.

Come on, that’s not fun for anyone. He posted a stat earlier in the thread and another link to an article above. It’s an interesting question that we can all have a discussion about, which is the whole point of a message board.
His stat does not prove what he says it does. Here is the entire quote, including the part left out.
"I believe the risk of a running QB being more prone to injury in comparison to a pocket passer is overstated by many analysts," Verros told SN. "One caveat would be that a running QB will attempt so many rushes per game that the sheer volume will still put him at an increased risk.
the stats in the article said a scrambling QB and a pocket QB in pass plays get hurt about as often. It then said on designed runs the Qb gets hurt one out of every 200-some runs.

This does not prove “running QBs are no more likely to get injured” be injured. They are likely to be injured every 200-some runs which is more than the qb who doesn’t run and instead hands off.
For those stats to price the running qb is no more likely to get injured it would have to say no QBs ever get injured in designed runs.

The point is that running puts the qb at risk of injury. Not just the ones that were included in that article but also smaller injuries that you play through or that mount and add wear and tear.
To say having the qb carry the ball on running plays adds zero risk of injury is blatantly wrong.

We got stomped in our very first game against him. On our own field.
alex smith was the author of those Patriot losses... we are 2-0 vs Patrick Mahomes

Starts on page one. Four posts in.
I don’t think that poster was offering a scheme as much as holing for an injury.
But it surely needs to be a rule for the d. The team that gets killed by the option is the one that doesnt commit to responsibilities. And time has proven if you make the qb pay, it changes things.

We heard all this leaving up to the Sunday night game at Baltimore... Didn't work out too well
I got the sense the Pats were playing a little possum in that game. I might be wrong, but I think you will see a different defense if they meet again.

lamar.jpg

Honestly I couldn't care less about the media. Just remember 2014 or 2016 when the dynasty was apparently over. But I care about HFA in January because it is such a big advantage!

Last year that Media narrative was something that fired Brady up, so maybe if the whole nation thinks BB made a mistake it will end up in another catch phrase like "We're still here"

For those of us that don't stay in a Patriots-centric bubble like this forum, these narratives are something we have to deal with, online and in our personal lives.

I've had to say this twice now-- a lot of you people on this forum live in or near New England, so you don't have to deal with opposing fans or ideas. For those of us that don't, we have to deal with this in real life. I've been in fist fights for simply wearing my Patriots colors. I'm LITERALLY in a somewhat heated Reddit argument with two people right now on r/NFL for simply stating "I believe a rematch with the Ravens will go differently". My fans constantly give me **** for repping the Pats in my streams or my Twitter.

My point is, it's a thing: Patriots hate IS REAL. Being a fan not living in New England is hell sometimes. A lot of this has to do with the narratives created by the media, which is all these fans of other teams have to go on (because they sure as hell don't watch the Patriots when we aren't playing their team).

So it's nice that you have the luxury to not have to care about what people think of the Patriots. Just know that the fandom is larger than Boston, and out here, in these streets, **** gets real.

And @QuantumMechanic

tenor.gif

For those of us that don't stay in a Patriots-centric bubble like this forum, these narratives are something we have to deal with, online and in our personal lives.

I've had to say this twice now-- a lot of you people on this forum live in or near New England, so you don't have to deal with opposing fans or ideas. For those of us that don't, we have to deal with this in real life. I've been in fist fights for simply wearing my Patriots colors. I'm LITERALLY in a somewhat heated Reddit argument with two people right now on r/NFL for simply stating "I believe a rematch with the Ravens will go differently". My fans constantly give me **** for repping the Pats in my streams or my Twitter.

My point is, it's a thing: Patriots hate IS REAL. Being a fan not living in New England is hell sometimes. A lot of this has to do with the narratives created by the media, which is all these fans of other teams have to go on (because they sure as hell don't watch the Patriots when we aren't playing their team).

So it's nice that you have the luxury to not have to care about what people think of the Patriots. Just know that the fandom is larger than Boston, and out here, in these streets, **** gets real.

And @QuantumMechanic

tenor.gif
What is your YouTube? Your name seems familiar

What is your YouTube? Your name seems familiar

Same as my username here.

There is a link in my signature (I'm not looking to self promote ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back