Hopefully Jones Can Follow in Cannon's Footsteps

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Hopefully Jones Can Follow in Cannon's Footsteps

Ian Logue

Tom Brady and Bill Belichick talk all the time about the importance of mental toughness, and a certain player on New England's roster certainly has a long offseason ahead as he tries to rebuild his own after a difficult rookie campaign.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Jones has a great pedigree and made excellent highlight films.. but always wonder how many of these kids make the jump from big man on campus in a really big program to fighting for a roster spot on the NFL, it is a tough transition. The Patriots also play very complicated defensive schemes..

His fumbling made everything more complicated..

For some folks "that what does not kill you makes you stronger", while others just shrink away in the face of adversity.. stay tuned to his development next season...

I can imagine BB reading these comments and thinking, "Oh STFU, Cyrus. Focus more on becoming a better player and not about your reputation by trying to send messages through the media."

During times of adversity, young players will often communicate with their college coach. Michael Jordan would talk to Dean Smith regularly in his early years and even later on when he faced difficult times. I wonder if Alabama players feel comfortable reaching out to Nick Sapan...Or if Saban would proactively reach out to Cyrus Jones to help set his mind straight.

Maybe, he just can't play professional football very well. His play is unusually bad for someone who was thought to have an excellent skill set. Can we call him "Practice Jones" or "Lame Day Jones" since he does great in practice and not so well on the field?

Why is Cannon the example. Cannons story is pretty unique. But more importantly hopefully Jones turns it around much quicker.

Kid has a bad case of the yips. Nothing more, nothing less. If he gets over them he will be fine, if not he is Chad Jackson part 2.

He hasn't shown he is good enough yet to even count as having the yips. The yips is when you lose what you clearly had.

He hasn't shown he is good enough yet to even count as having the yips. The yips is when you lose what you clearly had.
he did have it in college, but I see what you are saying.

The fact is that Cyrus Jones was not highly ranked by the draft experts. He and
Jonathan Jones were the 21st and 22nd ranked cornerbacks and projected to go
in rounds four thru six. The Patriots were influenced by the fact he returned four
punts for touchdowns in his senior year.

One thing about Jones is that he genuinely does seem to care. This isn;t a Justin Gilbert kind of 'whatever' attitude. It is up to him to show he is better than last year. I will give anyone a chance as long as Bill does, because Bill knows more than me

Jones has a great pedigree and made excellent highlight films.. but always wonder how many of these kids make the jump from big man on campus in a really big program to fighting for a roster spot on the NFL, it is a tough transition. The Patriots also play very complicated defensive schemes..

His fumbling made everything more complicated..

For some folks "that what does not kill you makes you stronger", while others just shrink away in the face of adversity.. stay tuned to his development next season...

At Alabama it took him a while to really find a position, he was a receiver early on and had to learn the CB position later. So the good thing is he managed to learn a completely new position pretty quick, but he is less seasoned than most college cornerbacks, it may take him a bit longer to learn the Patriots complicated defensive schemes.

The weird thing is at Alabama his primary attribute was his mental toughness, his confidence, and his ability to instantly forget a bad play IMHO. He is the last player I would have expected to lose his confidence like he clearly did this year at New England, I guess you just never know. However, I still have hopes for him on the Patriots, his intangibles are very strong, I think that is why BB gave him so many chances despite all of the kick return goofs.

I live in Atlanta and am a UGA fan, so I watch a lot of SEC football. Jones was excellent at the premier program in the premier conference in college FB. He has all the tools...just needs to get out of his own head and play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back