PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hold at 60 & 61 or trade a pick?

I would much rather trade up a bit for them then sit back and take Davis.

Character is my issue. There were a number of reports out of the combine that he didn't interview well. He certainly has man coverage shutdown skills. I do like Davis's versatility and upside though. Alexander has zero flexibility. He's a press corner or nothing.

As I've mentioned, I think it's more likely Davis would take the McCourty nickel spot with McCourty going back to single-high, assuming they don't use Davis as a CB.

So then you end up sitting Harmon who was statistically one of the best safeties in the game last year. Either way for this year it seems to be a diminishing return.

Also with how much the Pats invested in Richardson I would think they would like to give him a chance to get on the field when Harmon walks. He flashed at times and is best in the nickle spot as well with his strong run support ability.

However if we get Davis at say 96 I can feel a little better about drafting him but if we need to use a 2nd round pick to get him then you are basically forcing a 2nd round pick to be a back up. Something about that doesn't sit well with me.

So then you end up sitting Harmon who was statistically one of the best safeties in the game last year. Either way for this year it seems to be a diminishing return.

Also with how much the Pats invested in Richardson I would think they would like to give him a chance to get on the field when Harmon walks. He flashed at times and is best in the nickle spot as well with his strong run support ability.

However if we get Davis at say 96 I can feel a little better about drafting him but if we need to use a 2nd round pick to get him then you are basically forcing a 2nd round pick to be a back up. Something about that doesn't sit well with me.

You don't have to sit Harmon. I don't think Davis becomes a starter year one so Harmon will continue as he is this year. and then you either let Harmon walk at the end of the year or switch/keep Davis at CB.

You don't have to sit Harmon. I don't think Davis becomes a starter year one so Harmon will continue as he is this year. and then you either let Harmon walk at the end of the year or switch/keep Davis at CB.

Yeah but then you are sitting Richards who you picked in round 2 at 64. I would just hate to do that. At least give him a chance to show something. He found ways to get minutes on the field last year against all odds and it looked like the game was not too fast for him. Do we want to make him into a backup when he might be really good?

Character is my issue. There were a number of reports out of the combine that he didn't interview well. He certainly has man coverage shutdown skills. I do like Davis's versatility and upside though. Alexander has zero flexibility. He's a press corner or nothing.
I was just going to mention about that report too. Heard he's difficult to deal with. But damn having him and Butler would be scary.

Yeah but then you are sitting Richards who you picked in round 2 at 64. I would just hate to do that. At least give him a chance to show something. He found ways to get minutes on the field last year against all odds and it looked like the game was not too fast for him. Do we want to make him into a backup when he might be really good?

I'm not really sure why we're having this debate. I've said all along that I see Davis as a CB which makes any talk of safety moot. This all stems from a rumour that the Pats were looking at a strong safety and I said that this didn't preclude Davis because he has played SS. I think he comes here as a corner, but that at least he has the fallback of switching to safety if he doesn't work out at corner.

I'm not really sure why we're having this debate. I've said all along that I see Davis as a CB which makes any talk of safety moot. This all stems from a rumour that the Pats were looking at a strong safety and I said that this didn't preclude Davis because he has played SS. I think he comes here as a corner, but that at least he has the fallback of switching to safety if he doesn't work out at corner.

Fair enough. I am not telling you that you are wrong nor I am telling you he is a bad player. I simply making a point that I don't like to over invest at spots the same as i don't like to under invest generally.

If Davis is picked and plays CB that is perfectly fine by me if he can play it well. I just don't see him fitting as a CB well in a lot of cases potentially. It could work as Ryan might very well be gone after this year and Butler is able to move around so easily from one side to the other that you could pick a player to match up on Davis that could work but I am concerned about his CB abilities in general and have told you before I see him as more of a safety or niche CB vs bigger and less nimble guys the way Browner was. However like Browner you can't always get that match up and on occasion he was abused. I think Davis might have the same issues if you are forced to match him up on a smaller quicker guy but i don't claim any certainty on the issue but it makes me wary a little. Then again he could be the next Richard Sherman so who knows. Certainly has many of the tools for it.

Fair enough. I am not telling you that you are wrong nor I am telling you he is a bad player. I simply making a point that I don't like to over invest at spots the same as i don't like to under invest generally.

If Davis is picked and plays CB that is perfectly fine by me if he can play it well. I just don't see him fitting as a CB well in a lot of cases potentially. It could work as Ryan might very well be gone after this year and Butler is able to move around so easily from one side to the other that you could pick a player to match up on Davis that could work but I am concerned about his CB abilities in general and have told you before I see him as more of a safety or niche CB vs bigger and less nimble guys the way Browner was. However like Browner you can't always get that match up and on occasion he was abused. I think Davis might have the same issues if you are forced to match him up on a smaller quicker guy but i don't claim any certainty on the issue but it makes me wary a little. Then again he could be the next Richard Sherman so who knows. Certainly has many of the tools for it.

I certainly thinks he needs work, but he's certainly shown flashes of being a quality CB and I'm someone that likes to bet on athleticism and Davis has that in spades.

I certainly thinks he needs work, but he's certainly shown flashes of being a quality CB and I'm someone that likes to bet on athleticism and Davis has that in spades.

Well I don't have as strong a grasp on this draft compared to last years but I would say he is probably one of the top 15 or so pure athletes in this draft. That is always nice of course.

Well I don't have as strong a grasp on this draft compared to last years but I would say he is probably one of the top 15 or so pure athletes in this draft. That is always nice of course.

According to sparq, he's a 93% NFL athlete so one of the top 10% of athletes in the NFL.

So then you end up sitting Harmon who was statistically one of the best safeties in the game last year...
Harmon was what?

I do agree with your take on Davis, however. If he can't play CB here, then we have no use for him.

Garoppolo (and later, Brady) needs Left-side OLmen Now.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we don't even attempt at drafting a tackle this year.

Solder, Vollmer, Canon, Fleming, Waddle and possibly Mike Williams?

I know our tackles got abused in the AFC championship, but really look back at that game. Denver had no regard for our run game. Wade Phillips WANTED us to run, and we still couldn't. His plan all along was to pin Brady back. Von Miller/Demarcus Ware pinning a QB back every play? No tackle stands a chance with that, not to mention a beat up unit of Vollmer/Cannon.

Solder being back and healthy will be a big help, not to mention Scar coaching. Scar might not turn this unit into an elite one, but they won't be a pile of **** like how last year ended.

Check me out! I got somethine right lol

Harmon was what?

I do agree with your take on Davis, however. If he can't play CB here, then we have no use for him.

Garoppolo (and later, Brady) needs Left-side OLmen Now.

Yeah, Harmon did a very very good job last year. Not probowl good but he looks ready to me to be a good NFL starter on some team from his play last year and his stats back it up.

I don't have the link handy but he was in the top 10 going by advances stats (though advances stats don't tell the whole story of course but he play certainly was very good).

Yeah, Harmon did a very very good job last year. Not probowl good but he looks ready to me to be a good NFL starter on some team from his play last year and his stats back it up.

I don't have the link handy but he was in the top 10 going by advances stats (though advances stats don't tell the whole story of course but he play certainly was very good).

Late in the season, Harmon was top 5 on PFFs safety grades. All three of our safeties were in the top 5.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back