PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hold at 60 & 61 or trade a pick?

Just want to point out that Sean Davis could be considered a strong safety. Would anyone object too much if the first two picks were Sean Davis and Shilique Calhoun for example?

From Matt Miller. This would make for an interesting wrinkle:

New England Patriots: The Patriots are a hard team to get solid info on, but one scout said strong safety could be targeted with one of their two Round 2 selections. Scouts familiar with New England's draft plans said the team will target a stand-up pass-rusher to replace Chandler Jones with one of the Day 2 picks.

2 things..

1. If we target a safety it will be the 4th time in 5 years we use a pick on a safety in the first 3 rounds..

2012 Tavon Wilson
2013 Duron Harmon
2015 Jordan Richards

That's alot of used resources on that position.

2. Stand up pass rusher? If that rumor is true, more 3-4? Jordan Jenkins?

2 things..

1. If we target a safety it will be the 4th time in 5 years we use a pick on a safety in the first 3 rounds..

2012 Tavon Wilson
2013 Duron Harmon
2015 Jordan Richards

That's alot of used resources on that position.

2. Stand up pass rusher? If that rumor is true, more 3-4? Jordan Jenkins?

Good spot, I hadn't picked up on the 'stand up' part of that. That ties in with all the 3-4 OLB types they interviewed at the combine. Man! I haven't looked at any of these this year, or strong safeties either. Hoping this report is wrong because I'll be clueless if it is.

Just want to point out that Sean Davis could be considered a strong safety. Would anyone object too much if the first two picks were Sean Davis and Shilique Calhoun for example?

I would.

I would never pick Sean Davis anywhere on Day 2.

This is actually my dream scenario. I don't think it will happen, but I'd be extremely happy.

If I had a choice at safety it would be Karl Joseph.

Draftbreakdown just put up his game against Ohio State, which has some tape of him getting beat, and also some tape of competitive plays, so it's certainly a good example of his inexperience at corner. For example, on the one big 3rd down he gave up against Thomas, he bites on the outside route, and then when Thomas double-moves back in toward the middle of the field, he immediately spins his entire body around and is actually within arm's-length of the catch in trail position. His safety help got there late, and it was still a contested catch. It's not like he got so turned around that he wasn't even in the same area code. We could work with the tools that are there.

What stands out, though, is one sweet play when he anticipated the run to the edge, and just flies in to flatten the ball carrier a good 5 yards behind the line. Not a lot of corners come up with that kind of vicious intent. I love it.

Oh, I happened across this article recently, which actually includes some GIFs of the plays I mentioned. Good read, and while it acknowledges that he's raw, I think it shows off his potential to thrive as a chess piece in the modern passing game of the NFL: Film study: Versatile Sean Davis would add toughness to Lions DBs

Give him a year of nickel and safety duties, with some press-man thrown in, and I think he'd be a starting outside corner by next season. Great athlete, and really versatile skillset.

Last edited:
Draftbreakdown just put up his game against Ohio State, which as some tape of him getting beat, and also some tape of competitive plays, so it's certainly a good example of his inexperience at corner. For example, on the one big 3rd down he gave up against Thomas, he bites on the outside route, and then when Thomas double-moves back in toward the middle of the field, he immediately spins his entire body around and is actually within arm's-length of the catch in trail position. His safety help got there late, and it was still a contested catch. It's not like he got so turned around that he wasn't even in the same area code. We could work with the tools that are there.

What stands out, though, is one sweet play when he anticipated the run to the edge, and just flies in to flatten the ball carrier a good 5 yards behind the line. Not a lot of corners come up with that kind of vicious intent. I love it.

Oh, I happened across this article recently, that actually includes some gifs of the plays I mentioned. Good read, and while it acknowledges that he's raw, I think it shows off his potential to thrive as a chess piece in the modern passing game of the NFL: Film study: Versatile Sean Davis would add toughness to Lions DBs

Give him a year of nickel and safety duties, with some press-man thrown in, and I think he'd be a starting outside corner by next season. Great athlete, and really versatile skillset.

Great breakdown. I'm very comfortable with a Sean Davis pick. One of the reasons is that if he doesn't work out at corner, he can play the McCourty strong safety role, allowing McCourty to go back to the single-high safety role that Harmon spent so much time in mitigating any risk of Harmon leaving next year. It's also McCourty's best role. In fact, I wonder whether that might be why BB is supposedly looking for a 'strong safety'. He doesn't expect to retain Harmon and there fore either needs a replacement, wherher that be a direct replacement like Kevin Byard or someone that allows McCourty to drop back (Davis).

I think a Safety is a pipe dream knowing they REACHED for Jordan Richards last year. I think a Swing Tackle is a much safer pick and also fills a NEED.

I think a Safety is a pipe dream knowing they REACHED for Jordan Richards last year. I think a Swing Tackle is a much safer pick and also fills a NEED.

So who do you take at that point who could be a swing tackle? I don't really like anyone in that range. We would either need to trade up for Spriggs, or hope that La'Raven Clark or Germain Ifedi fall to the end of the 2nd -- and they are both huge projections, even though they seem to have some athleticism.

As I mentioned in the OT thread, I'd rather swing for the fences with some late round maulers.

So who do you take at that point who could be a swing tackle? I don't really like anyone in that range. We would either need to trade up for Spriggs, or hope that La'Raven Clark or Germain Ifedi fall to the end of the 2nd -- and they are both huge projections, even though they seem to have some athleticism.

As I mentioned in the OT thread, I'd rather swing for the fences with some late round maulers.

I would like the next SeaBass Vollmer and not the next Marcus Cannon or Cam Flemming...you do what it takes to get the Best Player that fills your Teams need.

I would like the next SeaBass Vollmer and not the next Marcus Cannon or Cam Flemming...you do what it takes to get the Best Player that fills your Teams need.

Again, I ask you: who would you draft?

I have nothing again Sean Davis the strong safety but with Chung here i don't see it being worth it. Chung has really figured it out since he has been back here and there is very likely no upgrade to be had. It would be redundant. Yes he is a great athlete but i don't see the need right now when other spots could definitely use help.

I have nothing again Sean Davis the strong safety but with Chung here i don't see it being worth it. Chung has really figured it out since he has been back here and there is very likely no upgrade to be had. It would be redundant. Yes he is a great athlete but i don't see the need right now when other spots could definitely use help.

As I've mentioned, I think it's more likely Davis would take the McCourty nickel spot with McCourty going back to single-high, assuming they don't use Davis as a CB.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back