PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hog

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukon cornelius

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Another thread comparing Mankins to Hannah got me thinking......not sure some here realize just how good he was - he is still arguably the greatest guard of all time

he defined the term mauler......he was just nasty

i know some of these have been linked before....

Clicked winner before I even watched the vids (cause I know what I'm going to see). Now i' m getting a beer and gonna sit back and enjoy the memories. Hog Hannah heaven! :). Thx.

Who said that Mankins was Hannah's equal? Lots of stupid stuff on these boards but that has to be stupidest.

Hannah was, and is, considered the greatest guard to ever play the game and one of the greatest O-linemen to ever play the game. Just compare the 86 Pats versus the 85 pats. That is all Hannah.

Who said that Mankins was Hannah's equal? Lots of stupid stuff on these boards but that has to be stupidest.

Hannah was, and is, considered the greatest guard to ever play the game and one of the greatest O-linemen to ever play the game. Just compare the 86 Pats versus the 85 pats. That is all Hannah.
People who have never seen Hog play.

Mank was outstanding.

Hog is superior.

It is very important to remember that Hannah played OL in an era where extending your arms away from your chest was holding. He played in an era where firing out low and putting your helmet into the chest of your opponent was SOP. What we see today as blocking in the NFL is what we used to derisively call "titty blocking". Almost like 2 guys in a girl's slap fight. ;)

Just by that measure alone would elevate Hannah over Mankins. I knew John Hannah personally when we were both in the financial services industry in the late 80's. In fact, we both competed for the HC'ing job at Somerville HS in 1980. Some how, for reasons I'll never understand, he got the job over me. ;)

But was he better than this Hog?

77d0cb06-29d8-4440-bce1-4f35fce256c4.jpg

He was incredible.

A lot like a scary pit bull.

265lbs? He would need to eat a lot of fish to make it in today's world.

His technique was mentioned more than once. I wonder why he did not become a coach?

Last edited:

John personally made the Patriots competitive.

From that position.

His personality matched his temperament out there on the field.

He's the very last guy you ever want to be lined up against.

He's been accurately described in this forum as the best Patriots player ever not named Tom Brady.
john-hannah-of-the-new-england-patriots-looks-on-during-an-nfl-game-picture-id474750481

"Who wants some?"

Remember when the Pats used to practice at Bryant in Smithfield, and the players used to walk through a "gauntlet" by the fans who were roped off.. there came Hannah the most powerful football player that I have ever seen, his one thigh was about as big as my two..

He was incredible.

His technique was mentioned more than once. I wonder why he did not become a coach?

If memory serves me right he did some coaching at both local and Alabama schools, and if I remember correctly he had some issues with a "patient teaching method"....

Remember when the Pats used to practice at Bryant in Smithfield, and the players used to walk through a "gauntlet" by the fans who were roped off.. there came Hannah the most powerful football player that I have ever seen, his one thigh was about as big as my two..
The guy I remember from those camps was mcginest. He was literally shaped like a Y. First nfl player I eve saw that had the upper body of a DT and had no fat.

If memory serves me right he did some coaching at both local and Alabama schools, and if I remember correctly he had some issues with a "patient teaching method"....
Locally here as well. Was way too intense. Coaches, kids and parents complained.

I'm sorry but Mankins shouldn't be compared to any Hof player. Mankins was tough but very overrated. Even if I ignore his performances against the Giants, I never seen him consistently manhandle guys in the run game. His absence was barely felt when Connolly stepped in during his holdout and it is not a coincidence that championships came pouring in before he got here and after he left. If people unfairly blame Welker for a lost superbowl I can blame Mankins for his horrible play in 42 and had a chance to prevent the safety in 46.

p.s. I know I said I'd ignore the Giant games. I obviously lied lol

Never knew Hog had a problem with James.
James was an excellent player, unfortunately he was injury prone, retired because of a bad shoulder, but injuries stopped him from possibly being one of the best backs in Patriot’s history. That SB season in 1985, he was great.

Never knew Hog had a problem with James.

That could be an incorrect memory on my part. I recalled it was tied to his performance after he (Hannah) retired, but could definitely be wrong on that. I couldn't find an article documenting that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back