PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower re-signs with NE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to start a "To Do List" thread. It's going to be relatively short.
1. Settle the Butler issue (I hope he stays)
2. Settle the JimmyG issue (I hope we get 2 draft picks, including 12th overall)
3. Settle on a RB (I hope to draft one but Blount will do)
4. Somehow obtain another DE/LB to rush the passer (Flowers is set but Nink is getting old). Definitely a priority.

Anyone who thinks Butler has a future on this team is beyond delusional. Butler's fate was sealed when Gilmore was signed. Belichick is not going to pay him also.
What if you think he has a "future" of one year with the team?

HIGHTOWER BABY!!! LETSS GOO

Wonder how many cupcakes the Jets offered.

Congrats to HT and good to have him back. There was always little doubt in my mind, anyway. Even without Butler, this defense is going to be nasty next season. With Butler? It may be the finest defense Belichick has ever fielded. But I think he's gone in an attempt to try to recoup day 1-2 picks. Either way, the payday for Hightower is well deserved.
Wooptido...

What if you think he has a "future" of one year with the team?

I would put those odds at very slim. From all reports the relationship has soured at this point. I can't see them keeping Butler even for a season after they just paid Gilmore.

Man, if that is true - the $12 million per year story of the Jets offer is pure mud in their face!!!!!

The cupcakes were mud in their face. This is more like feces in their face

Apparently Schefter said on ESPN that the Jets told Hightower that if he walked out the door, they would not do business with him anymore. Funny, both the Jets and Steelers went with a hard-sell approach to a guy who clearly did not want to be hard sold.

Apparently Schefter said on ESPN that the Jets told Hightower that if he walked out the door, they would not do business with him anymore. Funny, both the Jets and Steelers went with a hard-sell approach to a guy who clearly did not want to be hard sold.
They sure showed him, huh?

Anyone who thinks Butler has a future on this team is beyond delusional. Butler's fate was sealed when Gilmore was signed. Belichick is not going to pay him also.

When the Patriots can field an excellent secondary with plug-ins at CB2, due to their schemes and superb safety play, they are not paying $10M to another corner. If Butler wants back in, he should study the Chris Harris deal because that is what his role would be, a guy who specializes in shutting down quick receivers in the slot and on the outside.

They sure showed him, huh?

It's so funny...it just makes no sense. Hightower to the Jets at that price made no sense. The only way it made sense was if they were driving up the price for the Patriots. If they were driving up the price for the Patriots, why pull the offer?

Absolute Jets stupidity. They need to write about this in economics journals.

lol, Jets... they're lucky they're near NYC... otherwise that POS franchise has NO bargaining chip...

But yea play hard ball when you're a crap franchise, makes sense.

Best news I've heard all day.
Now, let's get Butler.
We're on to Minneapolis (after another 18 games, of course...lest anyone accuse me of being over optimistic).

This offseason has been pure sex

DH
Cooks
Branch
Harmon
Gilmore
Burkhead
Ealy
Guy

Bingo. They misread him.

What would have been reasonable is for them to do one of the following.
  1. Pose the question, "We want you to sign right now. What will get it done?" . All you are trying to do is understand what parameters you are working with. Is it realistic or not that a deal can be struck? It could be that High refused to go down that road. It possibly could be that High balked and that was a sign that his intention all along was to use other teams to drive up the price for NE.
  2. Put a deadline on the offer. 12 hrs or whatever. Assuming that they put their best foot forward, there is no need to take a hard line as he was going to shop it anyway. Give High some time to digest it. Don't apply so much pressure to an emotional situation.
  3. Don't make an offer at all. Ask High to reach back out when he is ready to make a decision. Be the last one he calls. If he can't commit to that then he doesn't want to be there in the first place.

they knew where he was going to wind up....both were lame-assed attempts to drive up the price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back