PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have the Patriots made a "promise" to Dez Bryant? (From King's MMQB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsd

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
From MMQB:

He said three of the teams he visited either told him he'd be their pick if he was on the board when their first-round pick came up, or hinted strongly at it. The reason I don't want to put headlines on that is simple. Every year, teams tell players, "You're our guy,'' then end up picking another guy. So let's not get too excited about a "promise'' that may or may not be true. But many of the teams he's visiting could use a productive deep threat.

And note here are the visits King listed earlier in the column (only listing those that have already occurred based on the above quote:

Thur., April 1: Dallas (Irving, Texas)
Fri., April 2: Miami (Davie, Fla.)
Sun-Mon., April 4-5: Cincinnati
Tue-Wed., April 6-7: Pittsburgh
Thur., April 8: New England (Foxboro, Mass.)
Fri.-Sat., April 9-10: Baltimore (Owings Mills, Md.)
Sun., April 11: Tampa Bay

Lastly I really thought this quote from Bryant in regard to his visit with BB interesting
"On TV all these years, I never saw Bill Belichick smile,'' Bryant said. "But we had a great conversation, and he was smiling a lot. I really liked it there. I think I'd be a good fit there.''

Ok I'll admit, I'm a little giddy if the kid checks out and we can get him without a significant trade up and use the 2nd rounders for Defense.

Thoughts?

I love bryant and would be ecstatic if we could get him and go with defense in the 2nd round.......It sucks though with the Steelers trading holmes that he might be on their radar now with them only having mike wallace and ward......Oh well if he's there we take him....if not we take someone else and move on....

Good thoughts.

BB might look at the kid as a solid citizen. Kid has never been in trouble with the law. Now, that's not saying much for most people, but then you look at this kids background, and it's something.

Throw this kid and Mardy Gilyard together and you have a unique perspective on American life playing WR for you for several years.

I love bryant and would be ecstatic if we could get him and go with defense in the 2nd round.......It sucks though with the Steelers trading holmes that he might be on their radar now with them only having mike wallace and ward......Oh well if he's there we take him....if not we take someone else and move on....

The only thing is, the Steelers gave away a top player for a #1 because of his off-field antics, so they might be shy of going with Bryant.

Then again, hitting a woman makes you a leper, and almost all other crimes--a NFL team can bear, so you may be right.

Last edited:
2+2 = 65798.

Imo.

Also of the teams he has visited here is my initial guess of the ones most interested:

Cincinnati (their passing offense was pretty brutal last year)
Pittsburgh (See the void with Holmes gone, though I actually think they'd stand pat at WR at least in the first round)
New England
Baltimore (I can definitely see them wanting to help Flacco and find a young WR)

Pittsburgh and Cinncinatti pick #18 and #21 respectively, while Baltimore is after us.
I just have a hunch Pittsburgh doesn't go WR first round, but I can see Cinncinatti snatching Bryant right before us.

I could see a small trade up with Atlanta or Houston to leap frog Cinncy.

2+2 = 65798.

Imo.

Sorry, I'm missing the reference. Dez' poor wonderlic performance? If so, yeah that could be a concern obviously.

Sorry, I'm missing the reference. Dez' poor wonderlic performance? If so, yeah that could be a concern obviously.

It means I think you're to a huge conclusion.

Why would the Pats, notorious for being secretive about their draft day plans, promise some hair-brained, loudmouth brat, that they will draft him in the first?

So BB laughed and smiled - of course he would. He's not going to act like a tosspot around someone he doesn't know.

It means I think you're to a huge conclusion.

Why would the Pats, notorious for being secretive about their draft day plans, promise some hair-brained, loudmouth brat, that they will draft him in the first?

So BB laughed and smiled - of course he would. He's not going to act like a tosspot around someone he doesn't know.
It's your fault for phrasing the equation badly, why I'm surprised more people didn't jump on you for attacking Bryant's wonderlic (was it even posted anywhere?) :rolleyes:

If Bryant is acceptable to Bill, then we should be very excited about drafting him. He is a top 5 talent.

even if they were thinking of taking him he opened his big mouth and BB took the pen and crossed his name off or lowered it down

even if they were thinking of taking him he opened his big mouth and BB took the pen and crossed his name off or lowered it down

I disagree. Bill's all about the business decision.

If the kid is there and he thinks he'll help the team more than any other player, he'll be a Patriot despite King's article.

The Pats promised Kevin Faulk they were picking him up in the first then lied and waited until #46 to get him in the second which Faulk admitted it pissed him off,I would not expect this team to do promises like that anymore.

However I think Parcells is highly interested in Bryant and he could go there...Parcells has been looking or some weapons or his new QB Henne who has potential to be a good one with the proper weapons around him.

"Promise" is just completely the wrong word here. NBA teams "promise" to draft players in exchange for them to stop working out for other teams. Considering Bryant is continuing to meet teams, I don't see why anyone would "promise" him anything.

Also, I really seriously doubt Denver or Miami would draft him given what I know about Parcells and McDaniels.

The Pats promised Kevin Faulk they were picking him up in the first then lied and waited until #46 to get him in the second which Faulk admitted it pissed him off,I would not expect this team to do promises like that anymore.

Just a reminder that that was in 1999 under Carroll, not BB.

Just a reminder that that was in 1999 under Carroll, not BB.

I know but I think Kevin is still miffed as he said in an interview last week,I guess these draftees take serious to heart when a team tells him he is going #1

Also of the teams he has visited here is my initial guess of the ones most interested:

Cincinnati (their passing offense was pretty brutal last year)
Pittsburgh (See the void with Holmes gone, though I actually think they'd stand pat at WR at least in the first round)
New England
Baltimore (I can definitely see them wanting to help Flacco and find a young WR)

Pittsburgh and Cinncinatti pick #18 and #21 respectively, while Baltimore is after us.
I just have a hunch Pittsburgh doesn't go WR first round, but I can see Cinncinatti snatching Bryant right before us.

I could see a small trade up with Atlanta or Houston to leap frog Cinncy.
I wonder if Cinci signing Antonio Bryant and Baltimore signing Anquan Boldin in the offseason will have any affect on them drafting Dez Bryant???

I don't see any quotation proving the Pats 'promised' to draft Bryant. He said 3 teams made promises, but he didn't name those teams, did he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back