PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harris' Usage Against Texans

catent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been covered, but what happened with Harris against Houston?

I think most assumed he got dinged or reaggravated an injury, but he recently made an Instagram post saying, "the bigger the obstacle, the greater the glory in overcoming it" (or something along those lines).

Is it possible he was benched? Makes me wonder about potential blitz pickup issues.

1) Run game was ineffective throughout, especially in 2nd half
3 RBs averaged 3.45 yds/carry
Harris 3.9 yds/
Rex 1.75 yds/
White 3.8 yds/
Cam 2.0 yds/
RBs were getting stuffed behind LOS in 3rd qtr (Harris 2 negative plays, Rex 1)

2) Pass game was working.
Cam spread the ball around well and Byrd had a day
365 yds
65% completion rate
9 different targets

3) Josh leaned on proven pass catcher James White when trailing
5 carries
9 targets
Harris 2 targets

Summary:
Simply based on stats and play calling, one could infer the Texans game plan was to minimize NE's two most successful weapons of late, Harris and Meyers, and force erratic Cam to air it out to a roster full of unproven and unremarkable.
NE's LOS issues had a huge impact on the play calling
Josh chose White over Harris in the pass heavy 2nd half

Interpreting Harris's post game "overcoming obstacles" Instagram, it could be as simple as him needing to earn the coaches' trust in a pass heavy game plan

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what happened with Harris against Houston?

I think most assumed he got dinged or reaggravated an injury, but he recently made an Instagram post saying, "the bigger the obstacle, the greater the glory in overcoming it" (or something along those lines).

Is it possible he was benched? Makes me wonder about potential blitz pickup issues.

Texans stacked it up and blitzed through gaps and he became not particularly efficient between the tackles. Once the Texans had a handle on our crack toss game the run game was dead in the water while we had a pretty efficient passing game.

I think you are reading too much into this. Especially with Fears more or less saying this week that Harris is RB1:

And with Rex gone, I imagine they will give those carries to Sony. Then see who is most effective.

It would be nice to see what Taylor can contribute.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back