PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy 4th of July

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the fact that a thread that is started by someone who had good intentions veers off into a lesson in taking history out of context.

You'd be surprised how many Founders really believed in real freedom. Jefferson was pissed that he had to edit out the language condemning slavery from the original Declaration. And a lot of their wives, along with ordinary, unheralded women, made huge sacrifices for and contributions to our cause.

A lot of Americans shared their idealism. A whole lot didn't, and still don't today.

We have very few leaders in our government today, who have the kind of brilliance, thoughtfulness, empathy, compassion and determination of guys like Franklin etc.

Our country today is overrun with those who think that freedom means being able to abuse, torture and murder innocent, vulnerable children, women and men indiscriminately, for no valid reason, with total impunity, in the name of false safety, false democracy, and false patriotism for the sake of avarice, sadism and racism.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised at all because I'm an amateur historian.

As to Jefferson, ask Sally Hemings if she had a choice to say no to Jefferson's "advances".

So what I said stands....we still had slavery after July 2nd, 1776. Women still could not vote. Non-christians were denied many of the rights that christians had at the state level (because that's where religion was handled...not at the federal level.)

I think most of them have passed away already, sadly :( .

Actually I wouldn't be surprised at all because I'm an amateur historian.

As to Jefferson, ask Sally Hemings if she had a choice to say no to Jefferson's "advances".

So what I said stands....we still had slavery after July 2nd, 1776. Women still could not vote. Non-christians were denied many of the rights that christians had at the state level (because that's where religion was handled...not at the federal level.)
So you want to apply evolved standards of the 21st century to 18th century events?? In 1776 where in the world did women have the right to vote? Nowhere, and it would more than a century in 1893 when New Zealand became the first country to grant voting rights to women....Don't make it seem that the United States was somehow behind he times relative to the rest of the world when the US was one of the first countries to grant women voting rights in 1920.....

I love the fact that a thread that is started by someone who had good intentions veers off into a lesson in taking history out of context.

Most of the responses have been very respectful. I was actually a bit worried about the God Bless America part.

I speak for myself when I say that I feel like one lucky SOB to have been brought into this world as an American. It's a country whose ideals are worth celebrating.

Most of the responses have been very respectful. I was actually a bit worried about the God Bless America part.

I speak for myself when I say that I feel like one lucky SOB to have been brought into this world as an American. It's a country whose ideals are worth celebrating.
I disagree with much of this thread but completely agree with that. I am proud to be a first generation American. I hope I like this country much more again soon.

Pride in this country is back after a long abscence.

There is much repar work to do though, but this Republic will prevail.

So you want to apply evolved standards of the 21st century to 18th century events?? In 1776 where in the world did women have the right to vote? Nowhere, and it would more than a century in 1893 when New Zealand became the first country to grant voting rights to women....Don't make it seem that the United States was somehow behind he times relative to the rest of the world when the US was one of the first countries to grant women voting rights in 1920.....

I'm not applying 21st century values at all to 18th century men. I'm just saying that they didn't declare independence because they wanted freedom for everyone. I was very clear in my original statement. They declared independence because they wanted their individual state to be free from British rule. That's it.

It looks like some (good) editing has taken place.

I disagree with much of this thread but completely agree with that. I am proud to be a first generation American. I hope I like this country much more again soon.

I'm only one generation ahead. My parents were born here in the early 20's.

I hope that you get all you wish for.

One thing to keep in mind about THIS holiday: it's not about reverence for our military -- that's for Memorial Day and Veterans' Day. It IS about celebrating the principles on which our nation was founded.

One thing to keep in mind about THIS holiday: it's not about reverence for our military -- that's for Memorial Day and Veterans' Day. It IS about celebrating the principles on which our nation was founded.
Memorial day is about honoring this countries deceased military.

There is no happy memorial day.

Who said “happy?” Only you.

@Tunescribe said “reverence.” Looks like you’re trying to pick a fight. Shame.

Look who it is.

The 4th is about the celebration of US patriotism. There is no greater love or expression of patriotism for one's country than serving in the military.

Furthermore a militia called the Patriots went to war and defeated the British Army to form this great country to start with. The military has always been included in 4th of July festivities.

Memorial day is for the dead and the 4th for the living.

IMO maybe I am old school, but the 4th is aka Independence Day.. a day we celebrated our independence from British rule..

Arguments can ensue about whether it is military or not, but it has always been apparent that this day is about America and the military is part of it, not the primary focus, but part or our fabric as a nation.. to just observe it as some military holiday is a disservice to the American People...

We do not say "Happy Memorial Day" as it is a day of remembrance for all of those who lost their lives in wars, simply it is not a "happy" day, it is a somber day of remembrance..

feel so lucky to be born in this great country.....love it or leave it

Look who it is.

The 4th is about the celebration of US patriotism. There is no greater love or expression of patriotism for one's country than serving in the military.

Furthermore a militia called the Patriots went to war and defeated the British Army to form this great country to start with. The military has always been included in 4th of July festivities.

Memorial day is for the dead and the 4th for the living.

I guess Veteran's day is redundant.

IMO maybe I am old school, but the 4th is aka Independence Day.. a day we celebrated our independence from British rule..

Arguments can ensue about whether it is military or not, but it has always been apparent that this day is about America and the military is part of it, not the primary focus, but part or our fabric as a nation.. to just observe it as some military holiday is a disservice to the American People...

We do not say "Happy Memorial Day" as it is a day of remembrance for all of those who lost their lives in wars, simply it is not a "happy" day, it is a somber day of remembrance..
I remember July 4th. 1976 as a young kid and still hold on to that as to what Independence Day is really about. It seemed that everything had a focus on our history from the Revolutionary War and what the Declaration of Independence was really about. It has become absolutely perverted and molested by corporatization and politics. It should be a day where party and politics gets put aside for the love of our country's founding ideals and where we have evolved to today in being a place that the rest of the world that suffers from tyranny and oppression looks to for hope and freedom. Happy belated 4th everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes