PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hannable: Pats poor drafting at S is costing $20m+ in cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hannable is right. The Patriots have been to only 4 of last 5 Superbowls and won only 3. If they had drafted better they’d have won all 5 superbowls. Belichick the GM is holding back Belichick the Coach.

Hannable is right. The Patriots have been to only 4 of last 5 Superbowls and won only 3. If they had drafted better they’d have won all 5 superbowls. Belichick the GM is holding back Belichick the Coach.

Bill the Coach lost SB 52. I know you're being tongue in cheek but I'm not.

But, the Patriots make up most teams that have won the Super Bowl? Why emulate teams who have won less?

I'm not saying the Patriots need to or should be like other teams. I'm pointing out that most teams who have won have done so because they've had a lot of cheap talent to take them over the top. The fact the Patriots haven't needed to do this has been pretty amazing. They've won despite their poor (or unlucky) drafting when recent history has shown in the salary cap era most teams won because of their good (or lucky) drafting.

As for your comment of emulation... I'm not sure what to say to that. I mean, are you suggesting the Patriots shouldn't try to draft great players and get great talent on cheap contracts? I would assume not but that is a confusing statement in the context of what I am talking about. I only want the Patriots to draft better than they have drafted the past few years is all.

That wasn't the point when he specifically mentioned Safety because that's the one area where the #1-3 Safety was drafted by the Pats. It's as he was admonsishing them because they paid McCourty, Chung and Harmon instead of letting them go and just easily drafting a couple of guys that would slide in on cheap rookie contracts and the play at the poistion wouldnt drop.

2 mid tier guys didn't blow the cap up. It is the huge amount of middle of the road guys and pure special tamers. Those guys should be draft picks.

**** it lets make it a Butler thread. Didnt have enough of those in last months anyway.

**** it lets make it a Butler thread. Didnt have enough of those in last months anyway.
Let’s get the old band back together.

Malcolm admitting he wasn't locked in and ready helped Bill lose the game for the team.

That's a reach. If the NFL was consistent with their catch rules NE would be champions

It's sad when a sports writer can't give BB credit for what he has done/is doing even after 6 Super Bowl titles.

There are a number of problems with evaluating a draft year in a vacuum:

1) It tends to ignore the overall strength of the class and assumes that every year the talent pool is the same. It's hard to figure this out of course, because you'd have to look at EVERY team and compare their success rate with the Patriots, and I doubt anyone is really willing to dive into that mess.

2) It ignores the state of the team itself going into the draft. Some years are harder than others for rookies to make the roster. So even trying to use a metric like "was he a starter" etc, you have to figure some guys could be starting and not deserve it if the competition was better, or might have started if they weren't blocked by a veteran or surpassed by a surprise hit somewhere else.

3) It assumes that the draft is an independent piece of roster building, when in reality it's heavily connected to all other parts of the offseason (free agency, extensions, trades, etc). You have 90 guys you can invite to camp, and Belichick isn't going to keep a rookie over a better veteran player just to make his draft success rate look better. Once they're in camp, players from ALL sources of team building have a chance to earn a spot. So, related to point 2 above, this creates a situation where sometimes the rookie just isn't in a great spot to contribute. This is NOT a draft failure, but a free agency success, in that specific instance.

So when I see the team reach three straight super bowls, I have to believe that their team building philosophy (which includes, but is not exclusively the draft) is near the top of the league. If you want to dock a few points because they have Brady (which admittedly gives them some leeway in some areas), that's fine, but we've seen what happens when Brady doesn't have a good roster, and it doesn't result in super bowl births, with the possibly exception of 2011 (though that team had good offensive talent, just no one in the secondary).

That guys crazy, there’s no way I can see B.B. giving anyone 18 million a year.

Flowers was a bum and I’m glad someone was stupid enough to pay that much money. A bold strategy cotton..

FIRST ROUND DRAFT POSITION FOR LAST 5 YEARS
Code:
2015 - 32nd
2016 - ----- FBTA*
2017 - 32nd
2018 - 31st
2019 - 32nd
Just draft better? Just hit on more picks?

Forfeiting first round picks and being forced to pick guys that everybody else passed on.

The Draft is enough of a crap shoot without being forced to pick dead last year after year after year.

That is more of a disadvantage than people give credit for, imo.

* Forfeited Because Too Awesome

Last edited:
Quarterbacks (2/3)(0/2)

12 Tom Brady (2019)
2 Brian Hoyer (2019)
5 Danny Etling

Running backs (4/5)

26 Sony Michel (2022)
28 James White (2020)
34 Rex Burkhead (2020)
38 Brandon Bolden (2020)

Fullback (1/1)

46 James Develin (2020)

Wide receivers (3/5)(0/5)

13 Phillip Dorsett (2019)
11 Julian Edelman (2019)
14 Josh Gordon | Braxton Berrios | Maurice Harris | Bruce Ellington | Damoun Patterson
18 Matthew Slater WR/ST (2019)

Tight ends (1/3)(0/3)

87 Rob Gronkowski (2019)
85 Matt LaCosse | Jacob Hollister | Stephen Anderson | Ryan Izzo

Offensive linemen (5/8)(4/8)

60 David Andrews C (2020)
61 Marcus Cannon T (2021)
62 Joe Thuney G (2019)
66 James Ferentz C | Jake Eldrenkamp C
75 Ted Karras C/G | Brian Schwenke G
69 Shaq Mason G (2023)
68 Cole Croston T| Dan Skipper T | Ryker Mathews T
76 Isaiah Wynn T (2022)

Offense = 16/25|9/24

Defensive linemen (7/9)(6/9)

70 Adam Butler DT (2019)
95 Derek Rivers DE (2020)
58 Michael Bennett DE/DT (2020)
93 Lawrence Guy DT (2020)
90 Mike Pennel DT (2020)
96 DE Keionta Davis | Trent Harris
92 DT Ufomba Kamalu | David Parry | Frank Herron
91 Deatrich Wise Jr. DE (2020)
55 John Simon DE (2020)

Linebackers (5/5)(2/5)

51 Ja'Whaun Bentley (2021)
54 Dont'a Hightower (2020)
52 Elandon Roberts (2019)
53 Kyle Van Noy (2019)
36 Brandon King (2019)

Defensive backs (9/11)(6/11)

23 Patrick Chung SS (2020)
29 Duke Dawson CB (2021)
24 Stephon Gilmore CB (2021)
21 Duron Harmon FS (2020)
27 J. C. Jackson CB (2020)
32 Devin McCourty FS (2019)
22 Obi Melifonwu FS/SS |43 Nate Ebner FS (2019) | Terrence Brooks FS | A. J. Howard FS
31 Jonathan Jones CB (2019)
30 Jason McCourty CB (2020)
35 Keion Crossen CB | Christian Sam MLB ---> (ST)

Defense = 21/25|14/25

Special teams (2/3)(1/3)

49 Joe Cardona LS (2022)
6 Ryan Allen P (2019)

Btw 38-42 will be players that were drafted by BB into the final 53 roster.

It is pretty easy to have 10/15 blue chips when you tank 4 years in a roll and have 110M to overpay for being bad for 20 years

If this draft bring 4 Thuney's and 3 Roberts i would do backflips

After holding the Rams to 3 in the biggest game of the year, the Pats D should get a small vacation from media nitpicking.

That guys crazy, there’s no way I can see B.B. giving anyone 18 million a year.

Flowers was a bum and I’m glad someone was stupid enough to pay that much money. A bold strategy cotton..
Are you serious about Flowers being a bum? I know you think he’s a “system player” but I’m not sure if you’re joking about the “bum” part.

While I think he’s a good player, paying him $18M a year would’ve been extremely stupid. In fact, Flowers cashed in on Patricia’s desperation to bring in someone to change the culture. Skip and Shannon discussed this on their show and had said there were rumors that the players do not like Patricia (which we’ve heard before) and that he is desperate to have someone (Flowers) change the players way thinking of Patricia. The media also doesn’t like him....at all.

Shannon didn’t like the signing and thinks the Lions will be stuck with that contract when Patricia gets fired.

This will be a big season for Patricia.

That's a reach. If the NFL was consistent with their catch rules NE would be champions
I’ll add the illegal shift on the 4th down “Philly Special” play as well.

I still would’ve rather seen the Pats losing with their starters than the legend of Eric Rowe and Jordan “Glitch” Richards taking his place.

Are you serious about Flowers being a bum? I know you think he’s a “system player” but I’m not sure if you’re joking about the “bum” part.

While I think he’s a good player, paying him $18M a year would’ve been extremely stupid. In fact, Flowers cashed in on Patricia’s desperation to bring in someone to change the culture. Skip and Shannon discussed this on their show and had said there were rumors that the players do not like Patricia (which we’ve heard before) and that he is desperate to have someone (Flowers) change the players way thinking of Patricia. The media also doesn’t like him....at all.

Shannon didn’t like the signing and thinks the Lions will be stuck with that contract when Patricia gets fired.

This will be a big season for Patricia.

Fat Matty P will get fired after this season. Their division is stacked and Stafford is wildly overpaid. Troublesome.

Fat Matty P will get fired after this season. Their division is stacked and Stafford is wildly overpaid. Troublesome.

I doubt Patricia will be gone until Bob Quinn also gets the boot. That is unless something catastrophic happens like a <3 win season.

Sitting in traffic, listening to SiriusXM NFL channel talk show, got bored, tried to call in to ask this but didn't get through in time:

ME: Thanks for having me. My question is this: what can be done to reverse the terrible pattern that Patriots have gotten into in the past few years?
HOSTS: The Patriots? What pattern are you referring to?
ME: Only winning every other Super Bowl. They seem to have lost the ability to win two in a row. Any idea on what can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes