PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk's whining about "no-fun Patriots" is wearing thin

And between the Rams, Eagles, Chiefs, and Bucs, how many of those teams have won 2 Super Bowls, let alone 3, 4, 5, or 6?

Based off the nature of football (with one-and-done playoffs, a lucky bounce here or a missed call there can make all the difference), any playoff team can win a single super bowl. To have sustained success and multiple championships, I think you need at least some semblance of the culture Belichick fostered.

Funny how the only other coach to win multiple Super Bowls in the last twenty years is a guy fairly similar to BB that no one would ever accuse of being a “player’s coach”- Tom Coughlin
And what has Bill won without Brady?

Yes, but there's way more that goes into it. Bill came out of the generation where most coaches were hard asses. The men that grew up in the 1940's, 50's, 60's, etc.. are different then the younger coaches we see now. The players are much different then we have now also. These kids of the tik tok generation are much different then even the guys on the Pats dynasty team. Even Rob Ninkovich was talking the other day how its hard for even him to relate to the young players in the league. The Lombardi way may not fly with todays generation, especially with the price tags now of top end players, they have more control then most coaches do. A guy like McVay is gonna have an easier time relating to today's player than Belichick will.

You also look at the players on those teams you listed, littered with hall of famers, aside from the Redskins every team you listed had a hall of fame QB. You can't just say in 2023 you need to be a hard ass to win.

Without Brady no one even knows what the "Patriot Way" is.
Yea, people continue to ignore the generational divide. Imagine if a dude like Gronk hated it in his 20s, what todays 20-somethings think about it. Gronk isn't the only one that's said this. Kenny Moore said he thought about giving up football he was so depressed being here. He's had a pretty good career since.

Mayo said in an interview that people talk about diversity (i.e. racial/ sexual orientation) but there's also generational diversity that he believed was as important. Bill's days are numbered. We've started to see the tidbits of unrest last season and even more this one. The sooner we transition to a younger HC, the sooner we can solve the generational differences.

Yea, people continue to ignore the generational divide. Imagine if a dude like Gronk hated it in his 20s, what todays 20-somethings think about it. Gronk isn't the only one that's said this. Kenny Moore said he thought about giving up football he was so depressed being here. He's had a pretty good career since.

Mayo said in an interview that people talk about diversity (i.e. racial/ sexual orientation) but there's also generational diversity that he believed was as important. Bill's days are numbered. We've started to see the tidbits of unrest last season and even more this one. The sooner we transition to a younger HC, the sooner we can solve the generational differences.

You mean, then everyone finally can "have fun" with the big meanie taskmaster gone? YIPPEE!

Funny how the only other coach to win multiple Super Bowls in the last twenty years is a guy fairly similar to BB that no one would ever accuse of being a “player’s coach”- Tom Coughlin
Coughlin was run out of town 4 years after winning a SB, basically for being too old. Same will happen to Belichick.

You mean, then everyone finally can "have fun" with the big meanie taskmaster gone? YIPPEE!
Nope. I mean the players can be motivated by someone they feel relates to them.

Pete did a good job this year out in Seattle.

I will pour more fuel on the fire.
I feel Gronk was prematurely worn down by BBs special team fetish.

Coughlin was run out of town 4 years after winning a SB, basically for being too old. Same will happen to Belichick.
My man, I’m not sure the point you’re making here is the one you intended to make lol. Since running Coughlin out of town 8 years ago, the Giants have been one of the worst, if not the worst, franchises in the NFL- going 42-71 in that timespan.

Old Man Dance GIF
High Five New Girl GIF
old man hand GIF
OIP.f7lyopqBbKyzAffSBBlFKwHaE7

My man, I’m not sure the point you’re making here is the one you intended to make lol. Since running Coughlin out of town 8 years ago, the Giants have been one of the worst, if not the worst, franchises in the NFL- going 42-71 in that timespan.
Yea, they f*cked up finding the right guy.

"Relating" hasn't been a problem with BB, according to the players. Seriously, read the accounts of current players on the team and former Patriots still playing elsewhere. But make sure that you discern between his being able to relate (understand/communicate) and being demanding. The likes of Gronk and Cassius Marsh are in the minority, at least from what we've heard publicly.

Age in itself isn't the issue re. relating/motivating, it depends on the individual. By the way, Coughlin wasn't "run out of town for being old." He was 68 in his last year with the Giants, the last of three-straight losing seasons -- 7-9, 6-10, 6-10. A string like that will get even a young coach fired.

Pete did a good job this year out in Seattle.

I will pour more fuel on the fire.
I feel Gronk was prematurely worn down by BBs special team fetish.
Got his arm broken on an extra point. Well worth it Bill!

Gronk is flailing about for attention resurrecting a dead horse from three years ago. With his post-football 15 minutes dwindling the man needs to reinvent himself, somehow.
Gronkowski doesn't need to "resurrect" his career; He has over 70 million reasons why. He never spent a penny of his salary and lived off endorsements....no need to "reinvent" either

Gronk in public with kids around at a Las Vegas pool party pulls down his trunks and starts scratching his balls and we're here arguing over what he has to say.

As a fan, I don't care a wit whether the players are having fun. It's clear that for a huge chunk of them they really don't care enough to grind for wins. Most people don't think of work as a party and I don't know why football should be any different.

He left and won. Meanwhile, what’s happened in New England?

Sorry but people need to stop being butthurt over ex-Pats players and other players across the league saying Belichick is a hardass and sometimes it’s NOT actually in the “best interests of the team.”
Yep that Tampa dynasty is doing great.. Fun Fun Fun

On one hand, gronk wouldn't be gronk without being in New England. I also felt that the Patriots let Gronk have a longer "leash" than other players. He still acted like a goofball.

You can't really blame gronk though. I mean think about it, how would you feel if at your work your boss was a hard ass and even if did an amazing job your boss will find something wrong with it to never compliment you. Or if you did a bad job you were in for a reaming. Alot of people would be applying to a new job. Then he goes to arians the fun Michael Scott boss! Bringing in pizza on Wednesdays and everything is a good job.

Amendola had similar complaints. And we know even Brady was frustrated at the end that for everything that he did Bill never gave him a compliment.

Fact of the matter is winning dictates whether the style of culture works in the locker room or not. Players love the disciplined style of Belichick when they are winning championships. But we have seen how players revolt against a more loosey goose style like Pete Carroll in the late 90s when the team got progressively worse year after year.

A majority of players will put up with any coaching style as long as they win.

Wud'Evah ..

If he’s being honest about it then you can’t fault him. The environment isn’t for everybody. There’s a lot of good coaches in the history of sports who won but made life miserable for their players. I just watched some NHL players talking about coach Mike Babcock who had a lot of success in Detroit and other places and the players hated him. He was a good coach but he was a prick.

I agree with this. Some players are fine with the all business all the time approach, and so me have a tough time with it. The irony for me is with Brady, who grew to hate it, but would have hated any other approach for most of his career. Arians made a comment about Brady as a coaching candid date, and said he would be a terrible coach because he’s too much of a perfectionist, and he definitely demonstrated that as a player in NE. And Gronk that Brady was nuts when he demanded so much from him early in his career, but later understood why he was like that. Belichick is a **** as a coach, because he’s always pushing for the highest level of execution possible on every play, but it’s also why they were so great for so long.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
Back