PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk's Heir Apparent

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm a huge Kittle fan, I don't see why they'd have any incentive to trade him away. If I were in charge, I'd target another Iowa TE in the draft in T.J. Hockenson. There are some Gronk lite players in the next year or two. We don't need a HoF level player as his replacement, but we do need someone who can block and catch at a competent level.

Probably the best anyone can hope for. Gronk more or less broke the mold when he emerged from it. Gronk smash! :)

Meanwhile, FWIW, the Pats already have Hollister, Izzo (IR) and Anderson (PSquad) to compete for a spot, and they'll likely add a draftee and/or UDFA, and maybe a free agent to the competition, perhaps along with Allen (if he agrees to restructure or extend). The Pats carried six TE on the 90-man roster through OTAs this summer, so six, seven or even eight wouldn't be unreasonable.

While I'm a huge Kittle fan, I don't see why they'd have any incentive to trade him away. If I were in charge, I'd target another Iowa TE in the draft in T.J. Hockenson. There are some Gronk lite players in the next year or two. We don't need a HoF level player as his replacement, but we do need someone who can block and catch at a competent level.

Even if we wanted a HoF level player like Gronk, it would be really hard to do. The Pats could probably invest 10 first round picks trying to draft one and still not hit.

Question: how did guys like Gonzales or Gates or even Ben Watson last so long at seemingly the same position? Luck? Different styles? Different bodies?

I'm guessing the answer is the same for any position e.g., why James Harrison lasted until 39 and Jerod Mayo only last until 30, etc.

Even if we wanted a HoF level player like Gronk, it would be really hard to do. The Pats could probably invest 10 first round picks trying to draft one and still not hit.

Especially where they tend to draft. If Gronk hadn't had back concerns in college, he would have been gone in the top 15.

Replacing Gronk after he retires carries a similar problem to having depth behind Gronk in case of injury: No matter who you put in there, they're not going to be Gronk.

REALLY like Noah Fant. I hope we can get him. he's my top TE for the Pats, just Like I wanted Sony Michel as our RB from the 2018 draft.

Like the talent. I’m torn on his attitude. Seemed to whine about his lack of involvement in the Iowa offense this year (being used as a decoy in some games). If that happens here will he mature or continue to complain?

Question: how did guys like Gonzales or Gates or even Ben Watson last so long at seemingly the same position? Luck? Different styles? Different bodies?

I'm guessing the answer is the same for any position e.g., why James Harrison lasted until 39 and Jerod Mayo only last until 30, etc.

All of the above I think.

Like the talent. I’m torn on his attitude. Seemed to whine about his lack of involvement in the Iowa offense this year (being used as a decoy in some games). If that happens here will he mature or continue to complain?

Was that him or his brother though? I might be wrong but I thought that was his bro. Most likely airing Noah's frustrations but I didn't think that was an issue.

After watching him for a few years I could see frustration creeping in is body language after a terrible pass from Stanley.

I get it. He's the best player on his team. Offense not giving him enough targets & a QB that hasn't progressed.

I get what you're saying. I think he wants out of Iowa & itll help getting checks for playing ball lol. I don't think he's a diva though. Very hard worker

Last edited:
We all know Gronk has been getting knicked here and there for years and isn't going to last. I just wanted to know who we should allow into the arms of this franchise as the TE? I'd like to see Coach Belichick extend an offer to Kittle from SF. Thoughts?

Figured you're new... don't get me started on Kittle and GM BB. We should have had the inside track on Kittle based on connections nuff said. :rolleyes:

Was that him or his brother though? I might be wrong but I thought that was his bro. Most likely airing Noah's frustrations but I didn't think that was an issue.

After watching him for a few years I could see frustration creeping in is body language after a terrible pass from Stanley.

I get it. He's the best player on his team. Offense not giving him enough targets & a QB that hasn't progressed.

I get what you're saying. I think he wants out of Iowa & itll help getting checks for playing ball lol. I don't think he's a diva though. Very hard worker

He definitely wants out of Iowa. Even decided to forgo the bowl game to concentrate on the upcoming draft.

Niners wanted a Franchise QB.
You really think they would of said no if we said he's included or no deal.
Shanahan admitted he was prepared to give up more but BB only asked for a 2nd. So you are probably correct.

To answer the OP's question: why would SF want to give up Kittle? Seriously. Jimmy G doesn't have many skill players on offense as it is and giving up Kittle would be asinine. Adding a few pieces around Kittle and Breida and the 9ers should make some noise next year. Lots of pressure on Jimmy G though. I was probably his biggest defender in the off season but hard for me to keep defending him after the dumbest injury of the year.

Kittle is unlikely but there are plenty of other TE's we could target in the upcoming draft ... @Ian if this thread isn't a cry for my draft thread to be main page'd I don't know what is???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News