PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronkowski is the best ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of respect for the legends like Mackey, Ditka, Casper etc. I've never seen them play so I defer to those who have. My dad says those guys were great but they were not the pure force of nature Gronk was. RW Sr. says Gronk is faster than Mackey and more powerful than Ditka.

Fun fact:
Mackey: 6'2", 225
Ditka: 6'3", 228
GRONK: 6'6"+, 265

When they played TE, GRONK would have been a left tackle.

My best all time TEs right now. It factors in all aspects I find important. Dominance at their height, longevity, blocking, catching, clutch ability. The only thing I don't give points for is "who did it first" I care about who did it best.

#1 Gonzo
#2 Mackey
#3 Gronk - he needs to play longer to pass the top 2.
#4 Ditka

Guys like Sharpe, Gates and Witten are great but inability to block really hurts their case.

Yeah, Witten was arguably the best blocking TE in the league before Gronk came along, particularly towards the backend of Gonzalez's career. He just was never as dominant a receiver as guys like Gronk, Gates, or Gonzalez, maybe a full step below Gronk and a half step below the others. He's a surefire HOFer regardless.

He is a frickin Beast we need him for the playoffs though.
Let me ask you this hypothetical question.
Would you rather be on the road for the playoffs with Gronk.
Or home field throughout without him?
Not saying either would have to occur just saying.
I’d rather be home with Gronk.

Did Jason Witten piss in AndyJohnson's coffee or something? :p

Of all the things to downvote posts for here, just lolz :D

Ive been watching the NFL since the early 60's. Seen em all.
There is NO one, repeat NO ONE, even close to Gronk.
He is handsdown, head and shoulders better than any te in history. And it's not close.

Gronk is simply the most difficult matchup problem in the history of the NFL. He is Lawrence Taylor on offense.

Did Jason Witten piss in AndyJohnson's coffee or something? :p

Of all the things to downvote posts for here, just lolz :D
I’m not allowed to disagree that witten is a good blocking TE?
What is that an invalid reason to disagree?

Last edited by a moderator:
My best all time TEs right now. It factors in all aspects I find important. Dominance at their height, longevity, blocking, catching, clutch ability. The only thing I don't give points for is "who did it first" I care about who did it best.

#1 Gonzo
#2 Mackey
#3 Gronk - he needs to play longer to pass the top 2.
#4 Ditka

Guys like Sharpe, Gates and Witten are great but inability to block really hurts their case.
I’m not sure how longevity puts Mackey ahead of Gronk.
Gronk has played 100 games, Mackey played 139 but in 39 fewer games Gronks numbers destroy Mackey.

Gronk 469/7112/75
Mackey 331/5236/38

So if Gronk plays 39 more games and doesn’t catch a pass, he moves ahead but hasn’t yet?

Btw, the 2nd best te I ever saw was Mark Bavaro. Great all -around te. Better than Mackey. But Mark didn't play long enough to put him up there. Kinda like Bo Jackson.
Tony G. was great, but really a glorified wr. But he was so good at what he did I'd put him #3 behind Gronk and Mackey.
If Bavaros career wasn't so injury-shortened, I'd put him #2. He played all-out with ferocity. Lotta fun to watch. And a Mass. native.

Btw, the 2nd best te I ever saw was Mark Bavaro. Great all -around te. Better than Mackey. But Mark didn't play long enough to put him up there. Kinda like Bo Jackson.
Tony G. was great, but really a glorified wr. But he was so good at what he did I'd put him #3 behind Gronk and Mackey.
If Bavaros career wasn't so injury-shortened, I'd put him #2. He played all-out with ferocity. Lotta fun to watch. And a Mass. native.
In 1986, the Giants rallied from 17-0 to beat the 49ers. Bavaro sparked it when he caught a pass and carried the entire SF defense on his back for about 15 yards.

In 1986, the Giants rallied from 17-0 to beat the 49ers. Bavaro sparked it when he caught a pass and carried the entire SF defense on his back for about 15 yards.

Yep. I remember that game. Vintage Bavaro.

Bavaro actually played 9 seasons which is one more than Gronk has.
His issue wasnt that injuries cut his career short but that he wasn’t the same player because of the toll the injuries took on him. To continue the Mackey analogy he only played 13 fewer games and Mackey final 13 were a season in SD where he had nothing left.

I’m not sure how longevity puts Mackey ahead of Gronk.
Gronk has played 100 games, Mackey played 139 but in 39 fewer games Gronks numbers destroy Mackey.

Gronk 469/7112/75
Mackey 331/5236/38

So if Gronk plays 39 more games and doesn’t catch a pass, he moves ahead but hasn’t yet?
I agree. I dont get the blind love for Mackey. Good player but he does not have some otherworldly dominance over his peers. He was clearly the best TE in the game for a while but back in the mid 60s when there was a lot less passing in the league (and a 14 game schedule) you still had about 10 WRs with 1000 yards.

By 1967 TE Jackie Smith had twice the yards and 3x the TD on the SAME amount of receptions that Mackey had. Both with the same games played. Mackey was 26 at this point and in his prime.

I would say Mike Ditka was better.

I agree. I dont get the blind love for Mackey. Good player but he does not have some otherworldly dominance over his peers. He was clearly the best TE in the game for a while but back in the mid 60s when there was a lot less passing in the league (and a 14 game schedule) you still had about 10 WRs with 1000 yards.

By 1967 TE Jackie Smith had twice the yards and 3x the TD on the SAME amount of receptions that Mackey had. Both with the same games played. Mackey was 26 at this point and in his prime.

I would say Mike Ditka was better.
Jackie smith was very underrated.
My point wasn’t to knock Mackey because he was a beast but to point out that saying Gronk is shy in longevity to be in his class is wrong.

It's like the Rice vs. Moss comparison.

Rice and Gonzalez both did it consistently longer than anyone else. So have the best overall careers.

But no one has ever looked like Randy at his peak, just like no one has ever looked like Gronk.

If Gronk does end up retiring early I would still think of him as one of the greatest ever.

Sandy Koufax, Shaquille Oneal always come to mind when I think of comparisons to other sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe