PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of that is true and he also played for twice as long as Gronk thus the disparity in the stats. I'm pretty sure Gronk had >3x the operations that Tony had. Another TE that also exceeds Gronk's stats is Antonio Gates, who also played 16 years.

I only mentioned that because every time I've heard Tony talk about Gronk he is in awe, plus Tony is a very confident guy and seems to me to be very honest and would have no problem admitting if someone else was better than him (his stats speak for themselves). He is about to get inducted so he has nothing left to prove.

There are two things that keep them apart: Gronk's injuries affected his longevity contrary to Tony's career; and
Tony's lack of SB rings due to playing with not very good teams contrary to Gronk's career.

We'll just never know what Gronk's final stats would have been if he didn't have all of those injuries.

I'll leave you with some of Gronk's records.

View attachment 22924

Here is a comparison with hall of fame TEs:

View attachment 22925

That can't be right - Gronk's one rush was a backwards pass from Brady and it was for a TD.

I'm going to miss this guy. He was a force out there. I recently joined a "mug club" at a local pub and I asked for mug #87. :)
51532624_10157119844813833_9013779256307613696_n.jpg

51472364_10157119847003833_2010675191432085504_n.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Rosenhaus was saying a mid-2019 return is possible?

I seriously doubt Hockenson will be available but Fant could slip to #32. However with Gronk now out of the picture I’m not so sure that Fant is what Belichick will want. I’m thinking a trade out of #32 may be the most likely move. And as much as I hate it when they move out of the 1st I like the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft enough that it may be their best move. Either way I see them loading up on offense in this draft. And Gronk’s cap relief would allow them to sign Philon, which would settle DL for the time being and allow them to focus fully on offense.

Philon signed with the cards

Some players retire to let their bodies heal and then return.
I just don’t think this will happen with Gronk.
His agent obviously wants to make more money so he will say things like that to keep the door open just Incase.

Then why in the world would BB want to sign a TE that can't block, nvm about getting into a bidding war over him? Doesn't make sense.

There are no reports over any bidding wars. All we have heard so far is that the Pats were more interested in him than in Beasley or Tate. That being said he was negotiating exclusively with the Saints.

As for why you'd like him here ? There is always a role for a veteran, good pass catcher in an offense but only to a certain point in terms of salary. The point is that you can't replicate what Gronk has done in this offense with lesser players like Kelce or Cook because they only solve one aspect of the equation.

Barnwell wrote a nice summary of that yesterday on ESPN with the gist being that Gronk was the only player who could enable McDaniels to pull out that 22 personnel package that forced the Rams into base and which won the SB for us with those 3 HOSS plays in a row.

If you had a player like Cook or Kelce the Rams would have been in sub because none of them is a real run blocking threat to the same level. If you had a classic blocker (e.g. Allen) they would have been in base but you had no real mismatch to exploit.

To bring it back.. Cook is still a nice target but he'd be a complimentary piece and not the focus like Gronk was. How much money in salary is that worth ? And then it becomes a question of how BB/Caserio project the TEs in the draft as well as who might be available via trade.

Either way the offense will need to reinvent itself because you can't just plug someone else into a similar role.

Some players retire to let their bodies heal and then return.
I just don’t think this will happen with Gronk.
His agent obviously wants to make more money so he will say things like that to keep the door open just Incase.

I agree. In the end it is entirely possible that Gronk realizes that he is missing the camaraderie, the grind and the game in November. But none of that is something people should expect or look for. If it happens that way then it is a nice bonus but he is gone as far as the team is concerned as they will move on throughout Spring to rebuild the offense.

Either way the Pats have his rights. This is something to deal with when it actually happens.

In other words, a Gronk down season

The only argument I'm seeing that people are making against Gronk not being the best is that he didn't play long enough...

But I ask, who was the better ALL-AROUND, COMPLETE TE? Not a WR in a TE body.

Some will say Jeremy Shockey or Ozzie Newsome.

Yup..Willie predicted it right. back for a playoff run and that's all we will be talking about all season. Get ready to get your hopes up..then down..then up

The only argument I'm seeing that people are making against Gronk not being the best is that he didn't play long enough...

But I ask, who was the better ALL-AROUND, COMPLETE TE? Not a WR in a TE body.

Some will say Jeremy Shockey or Ozzie Newsome.

You have to have one TE in NFL history in your line-up for one game... for the ultimate prize... and he's healthy and in his prime... who are you picking? For my money, you'd be hard-pressed to pick anyone but Gronk. In any era.

Great article in The Athletic by Jeff Howe about how Gronk was an even better person off the field.

You made me look :p

Maybe "49" has a sexual connotation to it?

It does. It's when one of the participants (the 6 in this case) falls asleep.

Also known as a 64.

So we see the Gronk's delay in announcing his retirement likely lost us the opportunity to sign Jared Cook.

Do folks STILL think that Belichick knew that Gronk was going to retire?
No. If gronk waiting cost us cook them cook who wasn’t signed yet, would come here.
I don’t think Belichick pays any more for cook than he offered if gronk retires in February.
He had a value. Bb offered that value. There are many other ways to fill the TE position than Jared cook.

...was Tekashi Gronk’s favorite rapper? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference