PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk. Sign the beast.

Some sayings are just timeless.

For example “ray Lewis killed a guy!”

Timeless!

I think there could be objections on both sides here. There was a report that Gronk was refusing to do squats late in his Pats career because Guerrero told him not to, and it looks like things went even further in Tampa. He got a day off from practice each week on a pretty regular basis.

There's a better chance that he retires than he comes back here. We also have more pressing needs than tight end at this point. My binkie Asiasi is going to have a breakout year in 2022!!!! woooooooooooohhhhhhoooooo
Srsly how can both him and Keene fail so badly. Harry is one thing but both TE’s drafted relatively high and in the same year? I do think Asiasi is a player…he’s got to step up in 2022.

1. Gronkowski hates Belichick.
2. Gronkowski will remain loyal to Brady, so it's either SF or retirement.
3. Belichick whiffed on TWO 3rd round TE's in the same draft... amazing.
4. The 2020 draft was an abject failure.
5. The Patriots selected 29 players in the '18, '19 & '20 drafts... I'll be generous here... 3 are good.
6. Belichick hasn't drafted an NFL caliber WR or TE since 2010.

5. The Patriots selected 29 players in the '18, '19 & '20 drafts... I'll be generous here... 3 are good.

Agree on most of this. The Patriots are the last team he’d play for. I do think he’d play on a team without Brady if the situation is just right…ideal location, money, good QB, limited work load, team being in tune with his injury/rehab schedules. As much as I’d to see it, Buffalo would be a perfect city for him…his hometown, competitive team, would help the team a lot.

I think Gronk would have returned if Bill would have him and Brady stayed in NE, but I think he was happier to go to Tampa. All that said, he isn’t returning here.
If Brady stayed they couldn’t have afforded to sign gronk unless they cut more players after cutting the ones necessary to be under the cap with Brady.

Take your antidepressants.

2020 was an abject failure… except for Duggar, Onwenu, Asiasi (who was on the team this year) and Herron. Uche was hurt most of the year, some would say Keene and Jennings were given the Foxboro flu. JJ Taylor is on the team.

BB hasn’t drafted an NFL WR since whatever but UDFA Meyers is good and Gunner an All Pro return man. Malcolm Mitchell was good, too bad his knee gave out. They mostly don’t draft WR’s… and again Asiasi and Keene are on the team. Keene entered the NFL at 21 years old, he was barely old enough to drink a beer… good grief.

The whining hyperbole is at an all time high since Brady left. I suspect if you were a Lions fan you’d have already gone on a gun toting rampage by this point, meanwhile for us a playoff appearance is an abject failure.

Last edited:
If Brady stayed they couldn’t have afforded to sign gronk unless they cut more players after cutting the ones necessary to be under the cap with Brady.
Even without Brady they couldn’t afford Gronk, that’s how he leveraged them into trading him to Tampa.

Srsly how can both him and Keene fail so badly. Harry is one thing but both TE’s drafted relatively high and in the same year? I do think Asiasi is a player…he’s got to step up in 2022.
How did Asiasi and Keene fail? In 2020 they were rookies, rookie TE’s are notorious for doing nothing in year one, it’s one of the toughest positions to make the college to pro leap and Cam Newton was an abomination.

In year two they had Henry and Smith, one of the best TE duos in the league. Asiasi was never going to play and Keene was given the Foxboro flu. We’ll see what they can do going forward, but they hardly failed.

Gronk is going to wherever Brady goes to as he should because he hated playing here by the end.
San Francisco and Edelman is going there too.

The band is getting back together again.

Yeah I’m not so sure Bill would have been willing to pay Gronk after a mostly not great 2018. Granted he turned back the clock big time in the playoffs.

Gronk is not coming back to play for Bill. Ever.

By all accounts Brady pissed off little Shanny while going over plays saying he would have changed a bunch of what they did in 28-3. First it shows Kyle's an idiot. You should be open to learning from your mistakes especially when it's one of the great offensive minds talking to you not some mediot like Felger just stirring the pot. Second Shanny is going to be more inflexable than BB or Ariens with his offense. Good luck putting your 45 year old QB in the pistol or running RPOs.

Maybe Lynch and York can talk them into putting up with each other for a year. Maybe they can do it inspite of the egos. If they can that team is loaded. They probably beat the Rams with somebody like Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins or Mac Jones never mind the Goat. And yes the Rams beat the Bucs but that offense was more like the 09 Patrtios with just Moss and Welker with having Evans, an older Gronk and Fournette coming off of injury and their OL was a mess. And they still almost pulled it off if Bowles wasn't such an idiot playing cover zero in that situation.

There's a better chance that he retires than he comes back here. We also have more pressing needs than tight end at this point. My binkie Asiasi is going to have a breakout year in 2022!!!! woooooooooooohhhhhhoooooo
I'm still upset with Gronk. He left the Pats hanging with the way he left.

Gronk is not coming back to play for Bill. Ever.

By all accounts Brady pissed off little Shanny while going over plays saying he would have changed a bunch of what they did in 28-3. First it shows Kyle's an idiot. You should be open to learning from your mistakes especially when it's one of the great offensive minds talking to you not some mediot like Felger just stirring the pot. Second Shanny is going to be more inflexable than BB or Ariens with his offense. Good luck putting your 45 year old QB in the pistol or running RPOs.

Maybe Lynch and York can talk them into putting up with each other for a year. Maybe they can do it inspite of the egos. If they can that team is loaded. They probably beat the Rams with somebody like Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins or Mac Jones never mind the Goat. And yes the Rams beat the Bucs but that offense was more like the 09 Patrtios with just Moss and Welker with having Evans, an older Gronk and Fournette coming off of injury and their OL was a mess. And they still almost pulled it off if Bowles wasn't such an idiot playing cover zero in that situation.
Where are these “all accounts”?

Where are these “all accounts”?
The first one I heard it on was a national podcast. I can't remember which one as I usually have them on in the background as I'm working. The second one I think was Zo/Bertrand but it could have been Murray/Gasper as well. To your point who knows if it's completely credable. But it would make sense why you would roll with JG over TB and I've always believed JG was the MFer TB was speaking about.

The first one I heard it on was a national podcast. I can't remember which one as I usually have them on in the background as I'm working. The second one I think was Zo/Bertrand but it could have been Murray/Gasper as well. To your point who knows if it's completely credable. But it would make sense why you would roll with JG over TB and I've always believed JG was the MFer TB was speaking about.
So “all accounts” are vague rumors?
Seriously if Brady met with the 49ers, which has never been confirmed and wanted to go there, do you seriously think his interview would be busting the coaches balls? And if shanahan really wanted him do you think he would say no because Brady said mean things?
These are professional grown men not 12 year old girls.

How did Asiasi and Keene fail? In 2020 they were rookies, rookie TE’s are notorious for doing nothing in year one, it’s one of the toughest positions to make the college to pro leap and Cam Newton was an abomination.

In year two they had Henry and Smith, one of the best TE duos in the league. Asiasi was never going to play and Keene was given the Foxboro flu. We’ll see what they can do going forward, but they hardly failed.
I feel like neither has produced very much on the field.

This is one of your worst takes ever.

You ask "how did Asiasi fail?" then you say "he was never going to play." If he's not worthy of taking the field then the draft pick is a failure.

Keene has been injured, inactive or useless. He has 3 games with 1 catch for <10 yards. How do you define failure?

And Smith was not one part of the best TE duos in the league. Henry had a good season. Smith hasn't been this bad since his rookie season and he had the lowest snap count of his career (51%).

and again Asiasi and Keene are on the team. Keene entered the NFL at 21 years old, he was barely old enough to drink a beer… good grief.
What's your point? If his age was such a liability then it's just another reason why the pick sucked. According to you the team is all set at TE with Henry and Smith so Asiasi and Keene will remain irrelevant anyway.

Belichick effectively admitted he drafted two stiffs by immediately signing the two best TE's available through free agency.

BB hasn’t drafted an NFL WR since whatever but UDFA Meyers is good and Gunner an All Pro return man. Malcolm Mitchell was good, too bad his knee gave out. They mostly don’t draft WR’s…
Mitchell didn't make it past one year in the NFL, which was no surprise at all given his extensive injury history heading into the '16 draft. In the end the draft pick clearly didn't work out. Belichick's history of drafting WR's is undeniably bad.

The whining hyperbole is at an all time high since Brady left. I suspect if you were a Lions fan you’d have already gone on a gun toting rampage by this point, meanwhile for us a playoff appearance is an abject failure.
I said the '20 draft was an abject failure. I didn't say the '21 season was an abject failure. The playoff appearance that you're so high on was an abject failure though.

2020 was an abject failure… except for Duggar, Onwenu, Asiasi (who was on the team this year) and Herron. Uche was hurt most of the year, some would say Keene and Jennings were given the Foxboro flu. JJ Taylor is on the team.
There's little doubt these drafts have yielded measly returns.

Kyle Dugger (2nd Rd) – Good.
Josh Uche (2nd Rd) – Can't crack 33% of snaps and did nothing for the last 14 weeks of this season.
Anfernee Jennings (3rd Rd) – Actually managed a slightly higher snap count than Uche in '20 but did nothing with the opportunity.
Devin Asiasi (3rd Rd) – He was inactive for every game but one this season and he hardly saw the field. He was thoroughly unimpressive in limited playing time in '20.
Dalton Keene (3rd Rd) – Useless or injured so far. Irrelevant moving forward.
Justin Rohrwasser (5th Rd) – A punter in the 5th round?? What a major f*** up.
Michael Onwenu (6th Rd) – Middling at best.
Justin Herron (6th Rd) – A liability anytime he's seen action.
Cassh Maluia (7th Rd) – Not on the team.
Dustin Woodward (7th Rd) – see above

N'Keal Harry (1st Rd) – Further evidence Belichick doesn't know WR talent at all. The list of NFL-caliber WR's that got drafted after Harry is mind-blowing.
Joejuan Williams (2nd Rd) – The list of DB bums drafted by Belichick over the last decade in the 1st or 2nd round is quite impressive.
Chase Winovich (3rd Rd) – Total nonfactor this season.
Damien Harris (3rd Rd) – Good.
Yodny Cajuste (3rd Rd) – useless
Hjalte Froholdt (4th Rd) – useless
Jarrett Stidham (4th Rd) – useless
Byron Cowart (5th Rd) – Who??
Jake Bailey (5th Rd) – Oh great another STer in the 5th round… whatever he's a good punter.
Ken Webster (7th Rd) – Not on the team.

9 players selected, 7 either never saw an NFL snap, no longer play in the NFL, or play for another team. Which leaves Isaiah Wynn, who is not good, and Ja'Whaun Bentley, who was the original 3rd pick of all 29 that I considered good (unless he's in coverage). I'm reluctantly adding Bailey, a punter.

So, 3 drafts, 29 players, and this is what you got… 1 DB, 1 LB, 1 RB and a punter. The remaining 25 players are not making meaningful contributions to the team. The collective grade on this mess can't be any higher than a D-.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back