PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Groh not Wolf led the 2021 draft

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
We all know who runs the draft [see avatar].

I suspect that BB or McDaniel overruled the scouts in 2019, with, obviously, disastrous results, and I suspect that Kraft stepped in for 2021 and told BB to listen to the scouts this time....but obviously this is total speculation on my part without a shred of evidence.....and I guess this means that BB will not be offering that job as WR scout, so sad, I think I am going to cry.

All we know is that something changed in 2021. What it was, I cannot say, but I suspect that Kraft put his foot down...maybe...

Zigler was Dir of Player Personnel last year.
Yes but Groh was director of college scouting and as the article states belichick says he set up the draft.

Here's hoping Perkins and McGrone add to the value of that draft class

Joshuah Bledsoe as well. Could be a great class. Bledsoe is more of a free safety than Peppers, but still not ideal. Both guys are strong and play very hard.

I suspect that BB or McDaniel overruled the scouts in 2019, with, obviously, disastrous results, and I suspect that Kraft stepped in for 2021 and told BB to listen to the scouts this time....but obviously this is total speculation on my part without a shred of evidence.....and I guess this means that BB will not be offering that job as WR scout, so sad, I think I am going to cry.

All we know is that something changed in 2021. What it was, I cannot say, but I suspect that Kraft put his foot down...maybe...
But, of course, the exact opposite could have happened. Kraft could have overruled BB and the scouts to select Harry (because of Harry's great interviewing skills or something) in 2019. This happens all the time with meddling owners, but I thought that Kraft got over the meddling part years ago. Then maybe he decided to back off in 2021 and let the professionals make the picks....

Actually, egotistic, meddling owners are very important to teams such as the Patriots that don't have meddling owners. This is because meddling owners will invariably screw up the draft and FAs and give the well-run teams a chance to stay on top.

Scouts provide reports on players. There is rarely ever a player that all scouts agree upon completely.
The decision makers weighs the opinions of the scouts and makes a decision.
The scout doesn’t make a pick and the decision maker “overrules it”.

Harry was almost unanimously viewed as a late 1 early 2.
The decision is made by the decision maker based upon
Film
Scouting reports
Interviews
Background checks
Etc.

To suggest that the patriots scouts told belichick Harry is a terrible pick and he said I don’t care I liked him in the interview, is exhibiting a severe lack of critical thinking skills.

Yes but Groh was director of college scouting and as the article states belichick says he set up the draft.
Ok. You stated earlier he ran the draft. I agree he set the board.

Looking forward to more draft magic from The Wolf next month.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Back