PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Schiano Steps Down From DC Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
5ye1pw.jpg
I was waiting for somebody to come up with this!

I'd wait with the memes and making fun of him until we kinda know whats up.

So handle it in the reasonable, objective and adult fashion we approach most things with here?

CB: Gilmore
CB: McCourty
CB: Jackson
DB: Jones
S: McCourty
S: Chung
S: Harmon

Might be a dumb take, but with the most experienced & arguably the most talented secondary in the league, the team could probably take a risk with elevating a coaching unknown. BB has to figure he can atleast rely somewhat on that absurd level of veteran leadership back there. Hightower & Van Noy at LB too.

If the defense was poised to have rookies & new FAs all over the place I’d be more worried.

My bad. I didn't complete the thought.

Bob Fraser was rumored to have been hired. Fraser is a LB coach. Mayo is a LB coach.

Speculate from that point.

I am not paying too much attention to titles to be honest. Daboll was a defensive assistant early in his career here, then became a WR coach. Later when he returned he was the heir apparent for Scar and shadowing him for a year. Then became TE coach.

Some coaches are really specialized in what they are doing and become lifers. Others just jump between different positional groups.

Just because Fraser has a history of being a LB coach doesn't mean that there was any clash. Entirely possible that he would take over as DL coach for Daly (or CB coach..).

Agree. Can't take someone who looks like a shaggy homeless person seriously...
Clearly the kid is successful, smart, hardworking and seemingly a good husband and father but my god....that hair.

That's a VERY strong comment without a whole lot of information to back it up. The same could have been said of BB after his Cleveland stint. How'd that work out in his 2nd chance.

The Bucs have been a graveyard for HC's for a couple of decades, and the list of very unhappy players who can something to say about their coaches rather than their own play would fill a thick book.

Being on the staff of the Patriots, like almost every coaching position in the league is like your full time job and your second full time job. There is not a lot of family time going on during the season and just a little more in the off season.

I'm happy whatever situation caused this change of heart occurred now BEFORE the full commitment was invested. I'm guessing that BB is not going to go looking for some "name DC" but rather work with what he has on board and develop someone who starts to stand out, while at the same time take a bigger role as the defacto DC until that person emerges. It will be interesting to see if he decides to call the signals this year. I'm thinking that he doesn't. He hasn't for the last 20 years.

I'll respectfully disagree. I don't think it's a very strong comment to say that I have always felt that Schiano wouldn't be a good fit here with the Patriots as a DC. I've always felt that Schiano has come off as someone who needs to be "The guy in charge".

I'll also disagree with fyour comparison of Schiano to BB. It's well known that BB wasn't a "control freak" in Cleveland. There were certain parameters set, but his coaches had lots of leeway. I don't believe Schiano is that way. Schiano seems to be the kind of guy that has to be involved in everything before it's given the OK whereas BB gives the assignment, expects you to do the job and then come back to him.

And I feel it's insulting to BB to even attempt to compare Schiano to BB. Schiano's resume isn't half of what BB's was when BB was handed the Browns. And BB had that team going in the right direction before the rug was pulled out from under him.

As for calling signals, BB has done so in the last 20 years. He stripped the duties from Mangini during the last part of Mangini's single year as the official DC of the Pats.

Agree. Can't take someone who looks like a shaggy homeless person seriously...

Bill looks like a homeless person all the time - what’s the big deal?

I am not paying too much attention to titles to be honest. Daboll was a defensive assistant early in his career here, then became a WR coach. Later when he returned he was the heir apparent for Scar and shadowing him for a year. Then became TE coach.

Some coaches are really specialized in what they are doing and become lifers. Others just jump between different positional groups.

Just because Fraser has a history of being a LB coach doesn't mean that there was any clash. Entirely possible that he would take over as DL coach for Daly (or CB coach..).
Everything you say is possible.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about.:p

LOL, I don't know, to me no one could possibly look as mangy as Matt Patricia did.
The rumor is his oldest kid was into Harry Potter and Fat Matt intended to be Rubeus Hagrid but I dunna know. Seems like a stretch.

Fat Matt shaved in the offseason and never shaved or got a haircut during the season ala Jules w/ the beard.

Who is on the Pats D staff as of now.
Mayo, SB and Bielema. Anyone else ?

My bad. I didn't complete the thought.

Bob Fraser was rumored to have been hired. Fraser is a LB coach. Mayo is a LB coach.

Speculate from that point.

Wouldn't be the first time the Pats hired someone with skills from one defensive position to be the coach at another (Defensive Line)..

Fraser was being groomed as Schiano's DC in College so, who knows..

If Fraser were to be made the CB coach, would you move SBeli to the D-line? Or have different coaches for the Safeties and for the CBs?

Kind of a surprise to me....I wish Schiano well.

Now who will be the "play caller" or "assistant DC"? I think BB needs to bring in someone with a tad bit more experience even if he's largely running the show on that side of the ball....

Dare I say it? Rex Ryan? LOL....I kid...I kid...

CB: Gilmore
CB: McCourty
CB: Jackson
DB: Jones
S: McCourty
S: Chung
S: Harmon

Might be a dumb take, but with the most experienced & arguably the most talented secondary in the league, the team could probably take a risk with elevating a coaching unknown. BB has to figure he can atleast rely somewhat on that absurd level of veteran leadership back there. Hightower & Van Noy at LB too.

If the defense was poised to have rookies & new FAs all over the place I’d be more worried.

This is massively under-looked i feel. We have experience guys in all three phases of the Defence. I would say D-Line is probably the less experienced Area but even then we have guys who have played in the league for a while.

BB will have a plan as he always does, and if not he will be working it out right now. Wonder who will be making the DC calls? I'd rather it happen now than 1-2 months later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3