PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Hardy wants to play for the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about their off-the-field problems, beyond how they impact the team. The rest of that crap is none of my business, and none of yours.

He went through the justice system and served his punishment. He hasn’t committed the same offense again. You have to give people a chance, how will they ever improve themselves if none give them a chance. I’m sure Myra hates woman beaters but I’m positive she would jump at a chance to confront and rehabilitate them.

He went through the justice system and served his punishment.
Actually there was no punishment, well at least not one from the criminal justice system. He had to pay her to disappear but as far as criminal proceedings go, he got away scot free.

We can only handle so many miscreants and felons at a time Greg.

If he fits the culture, can learn the D, works hard, is a great teammate and can rush the passer sign him.

I think hes a slime, is toxic and should be in jail but the legal system and NFL say he is a free man and can play.

Actually there was no punishment, well at least not one from the criminal justice system. He had to pay her to disappear but as far as criminal proceedings go, he got away scot free.

It’s not right to hit anyone but it says a lot that the victim would rather accept money than prosecute the person that hit her.

No it doesn't. Haven't you been watching the news lately?

Yes I have. I like this board so rather not comment on the news and turn this political. I would ask you this. If you were assaulted would you accept money to not pursue charges?

Yes I have. I like this board so rather not comment on the news and turn this political. I would ask you this. If you were assaulted would you accept money to not pursue charges?
People dont live in bubbles, even if u are hurt, an X amount of money can be the a life-saver or life-changing number, and you wont have to go through an abhorrent procces, where you stress yourself for days at best and get scrutinized to death at worst. Oh, and in the end there is also a chance to not get paid.

Those actions aren't equal.

Also I'm not American so I really not going after x or y party

People dont live in bubbles, even if u are hurt, an X amount of money can be the a life-saver or life-changing number, and you wont have to go through an abhorrent procces, where you stress yourself for days at best and get scrutinized to death at worst. Oh, and in the end there is also a chance to not get paid.

That was my point. It’s between those two individuals. They have concluded the issue and if she can settle it why can’t someone not involved in their dispute reason that the man can’t seek employment.

It’s not right to hit anyone but it says a lot that the victim would rather accept money than prosecute the person that hit her.
Yeah it says she has brains. What is she supposed to do? Pass on $750,000 so she can prosecute him when fact is that even if she gets the guilty verdict, he probably doesn't even go to jail for what would be a first offense?

I'd take the money too.

Last edited:
I looked it up. In the bench trial, where Hardy was found guilty, he was sentenced to a 60 day suspended sentence with 18 months probation. He appealed the bench trial to a jury trial, but fact is that it is fair to say the above sentence is the worst he would stand to get had he been found guilty again.

Would you really be willing to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars just to see your assailant do some probation time?

I looked it up. In the bench trial, where Hardy was found guilty, he was sentenced to a 60 day suspended sentence with 18 months probation. He appealed the bench trial to a jury trial, but fact is that it is fair to say the above sentence is the worst he would stand to get had he been found guilty again.

Would you really be willing to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars just to see your assailant do some probation time?

I mentioned in a couple of posts earlier that they settled and the matter was concluded. He hasn’t assaulted any since. The man wants to work again. You can’t expect anyone to become a better person if you don’t give them a chance.

I mentioned in a couple of posts earlier that they settled and the matter was concluded. He hasn’t assaulted any since. The man wants to work again. You can’t expect anyone to become a better person if you don’t give them a chance.

Counterpoint: **** Greg Hardy. I don’t want him anywhere near the Patriots.

And just to add, fines are also punishment. A settlement is like a fine straight from the perpetrator to the victim.

Second chances are handed out more these days than Condoms were in the 8os.

I don't know what to make of the Greg Hardy situation. Her story was terrifying and she had bruises all over her back which was quite damning. That said, he was the one who called the police that night. There's a recording of his 911 call where he said that she had come over uninvited and began attacking him when he told her to leave. During the call his friend was holding her down. He asked the police to come over to remove her because he was afraid of hurting her while defending himself and forcing her out of the apartment. She refused to talk to the police at that time. It was later that she made the report.

It's possible he called the police after beating her in order to protect himself, but I've never heard of a domestic abuser doing that. Also, the police were called to another domestic disturbance between them a few days earlier. A security guard in the parking lot (I think it was was a shopping mall) called the police when he saw her attacking him. The security guard and other witnesses said that she was attacking him and that he never touched her and that he locked himself in his car. The police in their report said that he was calm and she was belligerent.

I'm not trying to defend him as there's no excuse for giving her those bruises. He should have been able to control her without doing so. But these things can be very messy and gray. The media just piled on him while rarely mentioning these other details. He may not have been treated fairly or maybe he was. It's hard to know.

The brave independent woman in me says no, but since I have thankfully never been in that position, I can't really say what I would do. I am a lawyer to boot and back in my early days I represented a few domestic violence victims. You'd be (very sadly) surprised at how easily some of them wilt (in terms of bringing charges, or even going back to their abuser) when faced with their abuser in the court system. Many just want to "get things over with" rather than fight him, so I can totally see how someone would accept money, rather than bring charges, and that says nothing about her character, except maybe that she's scared.

The brave independent woman in me says no, but since I have thankfully never been in that position, I can't really say what I would do. I am a lawyer to boot and back in my early days I represented a few domestic violence victims. You'd be (very sadly) surprised at how easily some of them wilt (in terms of bringing charges, or even going back to their abuser) when faced with their abuser in the court system. Many just want to "get things over with" rather than fight him, so I can totally see how someone would accept money, rather than bring charges, and that says nothing about her character, except maybe that she's scared.
I don’t think she was scared, I think she was smart. We aren’t talking about a regular guy with a 9-to-5 job. She no doubt got an amount that would be considering life-altering.

As I noted above, when Hardy was found guilty he got 18 months probation. So it is safe to assume that even if he was found guilty again on appeal, probation was Hardy’s “worst case” scenario.

It would be stupid to risk a life altering amount of money just to, at the very best, have her assailant serve probation. She did the smart thing and I don’t blame her one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes