PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Bedard: Lions behavior was embarrassing

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
On twitter Greg Bedard says he is "not a fan of Lions' behavior vs Patriots (#8). Lotta talk for zero playoff wins in 21 yrs. It's comical, actually." Continuing he explains that "the thing is, the Lions are so close to breaking through. But if they keep this up, they're going to get into their own way. Unfortunate."

More in his column here: Preseason Takeaways, Take 3 | MMQB

Somebody needs to remind me when the Lions earned the right to talk, because I must have blacked out. Their complete lack of discipline against the Patriots Thursday night showed that the Lions didn’t learn anything from last season’s 4-12 mess, which should have served them an Ndamukong Suh-sized piece of humble pie.

I don’t even care if they beat the Patriots 40-9 or 140-9. To behave like that in a preseason game was embarrassing. Nick Fairley had an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Willie Young (who?) got in Tom Brady’s face twice, once earning a taunting penalty. That gave the Patriots a first down when it would have been 3rd-and-10 at the New England 10-yard line. C.J. Mosley took the Lions from the Patriots’ 4-yard line back to 19-yard line (which led to field goal) with a personal foul after a fumble recovery.

All of the penalties were cheap and immature, which basically describes the Lions. They haven’t achieved anything—10-6 and getting whupped by the Saints in the playoffs two years is the extent of it—yet they think they’re something to be feared.

Maybe they should shut up and wait to talk until they, you know, win a playoff game, which they haven’t done since 1991—when I was a junior in high school.​

It's a QB-heavy column as Bedard also talks about Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers, Geno Smith, Colts' first round pick Bjoern Werner underwhelming, underestimating the Jaguars, Denver's offense, Lions backup QB Kellen Moore, and Vikings QB Christian Ponder.

On twitter Greg Bedard says he is "not a fan of Lions' behavior vs Patriots (#8). Lotta talk for zero playoff wins in 21 yrs. It's comical, actually." Continuing he explains that "the thing is, the Lions are so close to breaking through. But if they keep this up, they're going to get into their own way. Unfortunate."

More in his column here: Preseason Takeaways, Take 3 | MMQB

Somebody needs to remind me when the Lions earned the right to talk, because I must have blacked out. Their complete lack of discipline against the Patriots Thursday night showed that the Lions didn’t learn anything from last season’s 4-12 mess, which should have served them an Ndamukong Suh-sized piece of humble pie.

I don’t even care if they beat the Patriots 40-9 or 140-9. To behave like that in a preseason game was embarrassing. Nick Fairley had an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Willie Young (who?) got in Tom Brady’s face twice, once earning a taunting penalty. That gave the Patriots a first down when it would have been 3rd-and-10 at the New England 10-yard line. C.J. Mosley took the Lions from the Patriots’ 4-yard line back to 19-yard line (which led to field goal) with a personal foul after a fumble recovery.

All of the penalties were cheap and immature, which basically describes the Lions. They haven’t achieved anything—10-6 and getting whupped by the Saints in the playoffs two years is the extent of it—yet they think they’re something to be feared.

Maybe they should shut up and wait to talk until they, you know, win a playoff game, which they haven’t done since 1991—when I was a junior in high school.​

It's a QB-heavy column as Bedard also talks about Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers, Geno Smith, Colts' first round pick Bjoern Werner underwhelming, underestimating the Jaguars, Denver's offense, Lions backup QB Kellen Moore, and Vikings QB Christian Ponder.

He's absolutely right. What a loser of a franchise. Pats have as many 10+ win seasons since 2005 has Detroit has had since 1934 (6 since 1961 and 3 of those were from 1991-1995, the Wayne Fontes glory years). Coming of yet another 4 win season. Champions of week 3 of the preseason! No wonder Sanders didn't want to play for them. Schwartz is a weak coach and Stafford is the league's biggest choke artist. Can't stand either one.

I agree that Detroit was classless and immature but I'm more concerned with how the Pats O- line performed against them.

They are a bunch of punks. 4 turnovers and you can only manage 16-3 at half time? The first team comes back at half and the pats win that game easy. If it were a real game with a game plan and adjustments.

He's absolutely right. What a loser of a franchise. Pats have as many 10+ win seasons since 2005 has Detroit has had since 1934. Coming of yet another 4 win season. No wonder Sanders didn't want to play for them. Schwartz is a weak coach and Stafford is the league's biggest choke artist. Can't stand either one.

manning-int1-1-12-13.gif

r-PEYTON-MANNING-INTERCEPTION-large570.jpg

Manning-Face-GIF.gif

Stafford is what, 1-22 against teams above .500?

I mean, we give Peyton flak for choking in the playoffs, but at least he gets his team there. I'd rather have the playoff choke artist than the guy who chokes every single remotely important game.

Anyways, yes. The Lions are a bunch of thugs and childish idiots. It's hilarious, especially given they're coming off a 4-12 season and you'd think they were SB champs beating us down week one.

Stafford is what, 1-22 against teams above .500?

I mean, we give Peyton flak for choking in the playoffs, but at least he gets his team there. I'd rather have the playoff choke artist than the guy who chokes every single remotely important game.

Anyways, yes. The Lions are a bunch of thugs and childish idiots. It's hilarious, especially given they're coming off a 4-12 season and you'd think they were SB champs beating us down week one.

Manning has consistently been loaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball, and had a few years where he was complimented with a good defense. Yet he still has a losing record in the playoffs, primarily because of throws like the one you see above (into triple coverage... LOL). Outside of Megatron, Stafford hasn't had much to work with and generally has had a pass defense that has been pretty awful.

EDIT: Plus, Manning has been choking for longer.

I agree that Detroit was classless and immature but I'm more concerned with how the Pats O- line performed against them.

Meh, we lost when the game really counted because of sloppy ball handling. If Suddy and Vereen held on, we're talking about a different game. Luckily the game didn't count and gave BB a lot of "coaching points" to discuss with the team this week.

To quote Avon Barksdale, attitude reflects leadership. The Lions' behavior is a reflection of Schwartz, IMO.

When it counts, I don't think the Pats have lost to
this team in the Brady era.

Embarrassing is a good word to use to describe the Lions' behavior the other night. Not only were the personal foul penalties unnecessary and costly but the way they were celebrating and carrying on after some of the plays was amateur hour. One of the hosts on sports radio said this was their superbowl, and he may have been right.

As a former coach at both the college and high school levels, I always told players to act like they'd been there before--not like some of the yahoos on the Lions.

Like the Jets...the Lions are fighting for the September Super Bowl Championship.

That was a huge playoff win for them last week. :cool:

Like the Jets...the Lions are fighting for the September Super Bowl Championship.

Anyone ever notice how many teams treat games against the Patriots in particular as "their Super Bowl"—or, my personal favorite, the most important game in the history of the Texans franchise? :rofl:

Obviously I'm a bit biased here, but have you ever heard teams describing a preseason/regular season game against, say, the Fivehead as "their Super Bowl"?

I'd prefer the Pats stop scheduling them in the preseason. That's the kind of chippy nonsense that gets people injured.

Not me. Bill deliberately put his players in difficult situations. Switched them around, with unfamiliar positions and teammates. That's what smart coaches do in preseason. BB does this every year. Did they play like sch!t?, Yes. But, I have a good feeling about the Oline. Of course this is just IMHO. I was telling my wife this, that night, that the Pats were playing a scrimmage and the kittens were playing their self proclaimed "super bowl". The Lions players were tweeting each other after the game applauding each other on their great accomplishment. I love the big slice of humble pie that BB served up that night. But worry, no way. The Lions, Seahawks, etc... can suck it. You cant put unnecessary roughness in trophy case. Lions face Pats in preseason Super Bowl | Detroit Lions F' them. EDIT: I tried writing this on my %&*$%ing phone today, but couldn't. And rushed home to get to my computer, only to find I pretty much repeated what everyone else wrote. But it still felt good. :singing:

Anyone ever notice how many teams treat games against the Patriots in particular as "their Super Bowl"—or, my personal favorite, the most important game in the history of the Texans franchise? :rofl:

Obviously I'm a bit biased here, but have you ever heard teams describing a preseason/regular season game against, say, the Fivehead as "their Super Bowl"?

Considering I live in Houston, it was hilarious the way they were hyping up playing us. A simple regular season game in Foxboro was the most important game in the history of their franchise. So considering they played in playoff games prior to that, I guess playing in the Patriots > Playing the playoffs.

To quote Avon Barksdale, attitude reflects leadership. The Lions' behavior is a reflection of Schwartz, IMO.

To be fair, I think it's not as much as his behavior, as much as how the team completely disregards character issues, as well as how the team completely disregards holding their players to any sort of standard.

Don't forget the Lions went 4-0 in 2008 Preseason! They are in no position to be douchebags!

I'm not worried about the loss, it gives BB and the other coaches a look at what's wrong!

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back