PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gost is a free agent next month

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority and yes he's missed his share of kicks like in the last two Super Bowls but I hope they find a way to keep him.

I don't think they will though.

Not worried. Still enjoying the win.

I don't see them tagging him and I don't see them giving him 5M per either. They should put that money into other positions.

I'm probably in the minority and yes he's missed his share of kicks like in the last two Super Bowls but I hope they find a way to keep him.

I don't think they will though.
Anyone who wants Gost gone needs their head examined.

He needs to stay - at the right price of course.

The difference between Ghost and Vinatieri at the point he left is that Vinatieri wasn't able to consistently get touchbacks in Foxboro by the end. He moved onto the indoor Colts where that wouldn't be an issue. Ghost can still do that except in the coldest of weather, and is able to hit the high arching kickoffs to the 1-2 when asked based on a team's kickoff return opponent.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm leaning towards his returning based on the above, but someone could always make him a Danny Amendola-type offer that the Pats decide to pass on. I'll need to check out the draft forum to see if there's any interesting kickers available; I don't think it's a coincidence BB let Vinatieri go the year that Ghost was available.

I think he was quoted with something along the lines of “it takes a miss to make me calm down.” That’s kind of a troubling thing to say... but it does seem to hold up. He’s made his fair share of misses but as far as I can recall he’s always been straight money for the rest of the game after a miss.

Find a way? He is the most expensive kicker, he should take a paycut, but even at 4m they can bring he easily if they want to.

They'll offer him a hometown discount, or show him the door - will be up to him to decide.

makes me nervous in the playoffs but is there really a better option? I don't know who is available in FA or any good kids in college

I hope he sticks around. I do not want to deal with the nightmares of a crappy or even average kicker.

I have noticed in the last couple years, quite a few teams are having difficulties finding a reliable kicker let alone a great one like him.

People always forget that Vinateri missed 2 FGs in SB38 before making the last one.

On the fence about Gost. I said after the Miami game that I considered him officially unreliable. He hasn't done much to change my mind. In the SB when he lined up for that first figgie I was whispering to myself, "he's gonna miss it." Then I spent the rest of the game (which of course was only 3 more kicks) yelling, "Don't screw this up Gost!" I think BB might have felt the same when he went for it on 4th & 1 in the same area rather than try another FG there (and by the way, a shotgun formation there on 4th and 1? C'mon man!! - but that's for another thread). Oy, I feel like you shouldn't have to feel this way about your kicker. But, there is the age-old "who you gonna get" that's better? He is good about "placing" the ball on kick-offs and does make "most" of his kicks, but he's almost as reliable for a miss in a crucial moment of the game. He barely made the figgie in the 4th quarter. I didn't know he was a free agent and wanted the Pats to bring in another kicker for a real competition in camp. Glad I don't make the personnel decisions!

I guess I would try to get him back for the right price, but I would also be scouting like heck for the next good kicker.

He’s been shaky at times. He probably saved his job by making the FG in the 4th quarter. If he missed and NE lost, he’d be a goner for sure.
Every kicker is shaky at one time or another. Look at "The Weapon" in the SB. He missed a big kick.

Last year Gost was 25-27 inside of 50 and 49/50 for XPs. He had a great year.

Hes 34. Age and leg strength are the concern. Not performance.

Anyone who wants Gost gone needs their head examined.

He needs to stay - at the right price of course.

Kickers are like tattoos. If you’re trying to justify one by saying ‘at the right price’ you should probably pass. Don’t get me wrong He’s a great kicker and has great stats but my confidence in his kicking ability diminishes as the pressure, especially in big games, increases.

At the right price is the key phrase. He’s a good kicker and has great stats but my confidence in his kicking ability diminished as the pressure, especially in big games, increases.
He just nailed a clutch, game- clinching kick. Your lack of confidence in him is a bit unjustified.

We should get rid and get someone like Zane Gonzalez....

Either that, or even in his worst season he is one of the best kickers. I have no wish to make this an issue when it isn't one now.

Eh, I want him to stay but not for the same price. He hada giddy season in 2016 plus he's getting older... Cap hit north of 3M would piss me off

Every kicker is shaky at one time or another. Look at "The Weapon" in the SB. He missed a big kick.

Last year Gost was 25-27 inside of 50 and 49/50 for XPs. He had a great year.

Hes 34. Age and leg strength are the concern. Not performance.

He needs to get better at kicking FGs between 40 and 49 yards. In that range, he is only 77% career. In contrast, Justin Tucker is 90% from that range and Will Lutz 88%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes